375 H&H......... Decisions decisions???!!!

I have modern Winchester M70 in .270 and 7mm Rem Mag. I am kicking myself for not chasing down a 375 H&H in Winchester M70. As it was, I carried one the first day I hunted buffalo, until my rifles caught up with me. It fit as nicely as my 270. Controlled feed, not featherweight! No mushy safety. It's better to look at rifles in hand, than to buy at a distance. I am sure you are not built like me, but good luck. Oh, Weatherby Vanguard 2 ... I got one in 300 win mag, and was amazed at how comfortable it was. Thought that caliber would punish me. Not in that rifle. Cloverleafs from a soft rest. Might try that?

To the OP's concern about 375 Ruger ammo becoming separated in transit or just simple forgotten altogether:

Unless you're hunting all by yourself with no guide, you're going to have access to someone else's gun in a pinch. It may not be ideal but, frankly, people rent rifles all the time. Just don't trust that someone said it's zeroed and try to get as many shots in at the range until you feel comfortable with it.

I plan to purchase a 375 shortly and am struggling on which.
I want a stainless synthetic because:
1. plan to hunt alaska one day.
2. I just like them better.

I had my mind made up to get the Savage Bear Hunter in 375 Ruger for a long time because every Savage I have shoots well.
But, been wavering on that now that I'm down to the last minute. I don't like the camo stock, mainly, and also leaning toward 375 H&H instead.

So, now I am also considering the Weatherby Mark 5 Weathermark and the Montana Rifle Company Extreme V-2. They are both 375 H&H.

I like the looks of both better because of the black stock..... although I could have the Savage Stock painted black I suppose.

The Savage has a muzzle break, which I'm not sure I want. I could just leave it turned to the "off" position though.

The MRC is the only one that comes with open sights, which is great. but, not sure if I would use that, but could do QD mounts just in case. The Savage and Weatherby do not have sights.

The Savage is $400 cheaper, but that doesn't really matter much to me for this rifle.

The MRC has controlled feed, but I've never had a problem with any of my Savage rifles.

I just can't decide.
If I have but one regret in purchasing the 375 in Ruger it's the limited availability in ammo. It's Hornady or nothing except having someone make reloads which can be expensive. Now I know there are many opinions on Hornady ammo but I ve read enough and spoken to too many members that had extremely poor result's with them especially on DG. I just bout 4 boxes of ammo loaded by Superior ammo and it cost me close to $500. For some that may not be much, but then again you can put a price on someone's life due to poor performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have the only Ruger guide gun in the country. If you want to see one give me a shout, I live in the Lake District though, I'm afraid.

I reload for mine. I've got 250 cases so I am covered for all my future needs.

I did consider the risks of ammo availability, but figured that I can sort something out if I need to in a country if the worse happens.

If they can loose a case with ammo in, they can loose a case with a rifle in just as easily.

If I have but one regret in purchasing the 375 in Ruger it's the limited availability in ammo. It's Hornady or nothing except having someone make reloads which can be expensive. Now I know there are many opinions on Hornady ammo but I ve read enough and spoken to too many members that had extremely poor result's with them especially on DG. I just bout 4 boxes of ammo loaded by Superior ammo and it cost me close to $500. For some that may not be much, but then again you can put a price on someone's life due to poor performance.

That proprietary mentality is EXACTLY why I built a 308 instead of a 300 RCM. It has killed many a good cartridge.

That proprietary mentality is EXACTLY why I built a 308 instead of a 300 RCM. It has killed many a good cartridge.

There are a few manufacturers that have them listed now. I'm not sure of availability, living in the UK it is irrelvant as they won't be for sale any time soon.

I think I have the only Ruger guide gun in the country. If you want to see one give me a shout, I live in the Lake District though, I'm afraid.

I reload for mine. I've got 250 cases so I am covered for all my future needs.

I did consider the risks of ammo availability, but figured that I can sort something out if I need to in a country if the worse happens.

If they can loose a case with ammo in, they can loose a case with a rifle in just as easily.

I believe we have a mutual friend. Mike S? He mentioned you and your rifle to me today.

I have found someone in the UK that their website suggests they have a ruger guide gun in stock in 375 ruger. I am calling them tomorrow.

Did you have to place a special order to get yours?

How easy was it to get the brass?

What powder do you use. I prefer Vhit as its pretty reliably and readily available in the UK.

The main reason I'm cautious about losing ammo in transit is it very nearly happened to me. I was going through customs in Port Elizabeth a few years back. I was with the customs officer going through the necessary and then it became apparent my ammo wasn't there with my rifle. My girlfriend was stood at the baggage carousel waiting for our bags with our clothes in, low and behold and very fortunately my bag which contained my lockable case with my ammo in went by. Somehow my ammo had gone in with the regular luggage!! If it wasn't for my eagle eyes girlfriend I wouldn't have got my ammo for my hunt. This was a 7mm Rem Mag so in SA I more than likely would have found some ammo that worked. But if it was a 375 ruger then I doubt it would have been so easy.

I believe we have a mutual friend. Mike S? He mentioned you and your rifle to me today.

I have found someone in the UK that their website suggests they have a ruger guide gun in stock in 375 ruger. I am calling them tomorrow. Did you have to place a special order to get yours?

The main reason I'm cautious about losing ammo in transit is it very nearly happened to me. I was going through customs in Port Elizabeth a few years back. I was with the customs officer going through the necessary and then it became apparent my ammo wasn't there with my rifle. My girlfriend was stood at the baggage carousel waiting for our bags with our clothes in, low and behold and very fortunately my bag which contained my lockable case with my ammo in went by. Somehow my ammo had gone in with the regular luggage!! If it wasn't for my eagle eyes girlfriend I wouldn't have got my ammo for my hunt. This was a 7mm Rem Mag so in SA I more than likely would have found some ammo that worked. But if it was a 375 ruger then I doubt it would have been so easy.

Where is that? (PM me if you like). Mine took a few months to come in, but less than I expected. Yes it was a special import for me.

I remember talking to Mike about mine a few months back.

I can see why you have the once bitten, twice shy mentality after that mentality.

Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker is also a great option and a good value.

I picked up one of these recently ,left handed, for very small money. It had sat in the shop for 6 years.
2nd hand 375s are generally great value. People buy them for a dream hunt and after that ,unless they get the bug , the rifle becomes a closet queen.

I have a Savage 116 Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger. Synthetic stock, stainless barrel, 3 round fixed box. The bolt is really smooth to cycle. Off the bench I don't mind shooting a fair amount, but at the table it's punishing.
I bought it with DG in mind, and will be taking it to SA next year (I hope).
I can't speak upon the other rifles you've mentioned, but my opinion of this one is very high!

Personally I'd always goncontrol feed on a larger rifle as most of the time the target bites back. However having said That my 375 mostly shoots fallow and a few boar now a days.

The Begarra is a lovely rifle mind and imho it's undersold at the minute.

As for screw cutting for £100 it seems a tad high!

But I'd never moderate my 375

I'd suggest a Ruger Alaskan. It will be 375 Ruger instead of H&H, but that will give you the same ballistics with a 20" barrel. The Hogue stock is ugly, but overloaded, so very grippy in the heavy rains. I ran that rifle in a 416 Ruger on a brown bear hunt and dropped my bear in his tracks from about 125 yards at last light on the last day.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

The new Model 70s are hard to beat- I own 2 in a sporter in 3006 and Safari in 375H&H. I originally put a deposit on the CZ 550 but dint get that new gun feeling so I went back and put the money towards the winchester Safari and haven't looked back. CZ do a great product but for me the Gun was to heavy and felt like it needed work to smooth it up. My advice is If you want a gun to tinker with and build up go the CZ if you want to shoot and have fun go the model 70

I would go CRF for a 375 H&H even though my most used and trusted rifle is a late 60s vintage Rem 700 BDL in 270 Win. I don't think you can go wrong with a Pre-64 Model 70, or a new one (also CRF). I love my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery so a 375 H&H would be nice too. Regardless of which rifle you get make sure you cycle it many many times and take it to the range religiously to make sure it feeds, functions and extracts flawlessly.

Best of luck whichever rifle you pick

I have been a Gunsmith for over 40yrs. I can count on both hands with fingers leftover the number of Rem. extractors I have replaced and none were on the large calibers. I have also replaced extractors on Sako, Winchester both CRF an PR, Tikka and Mauser. We are lucky in that most of the DG calibers extract with little effort. When I went to Zim. I took a beautiful Rem. 721 in 300 H&H and rebarreled it to 416 Rem and converted it to a Sako extractor. I wish I had not done the extractor. CRF are a great idea unless you jam one and then they are a bitch!! I am far more concerned with the feeding of a rifle than the extraction on an African DG gun. Find a rifle and caliber that you are comfortable and buy it. Then shoot it until it is an extension of you!! Happy Hunting and Good Luck. And just so you know I walk the walk, I leave May 19 to SA for Buff and I am taking my Rem. 700 375 H&H.

Go and look at the .375 H&H Model 70 Safari Express. Thats my Favourite!

I would agree too. I think the CZ 550s are heavier and a little blockier. Perfect for the 450 Rigby and the 500 Jeffery where you want a little more heft. Not needed for the 375 H&H.

I would agree too. I think the CZ 550s are heavier and a little blockier. Perfect for the 450 Rigby and the 500 Jeffery where you want a little more heft. Not needed for the 375 H&H.

Me too. My 458 Lott on a BRNO 602 (CZ predecessor) is perfect. Model 70 Super Express in 375 is also great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg