375 H&H Accuracy

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread , but l didn't wanna make a new thread unnecessarily. Does anyone know the Barrel life of a .375 H&H Winchester Model 70 ? I have a pre war model which which my great granddad got in '38 or '39 and passed it on to my Granddad , who gifted it to me. It's fired over a thousand rounds ( from Kynoch round nose 300 grain solids in my Grandfather's days to Norma modern loads ) . It works as accurate as ever . Has anyone here actually shot out the barrel of their .375 Model 70 ? I was reading Finn Aagard's son's online article which implied that Finn's model 70 in .375 needed a barrel change after 2000 shots.

suspect that if it did it was not from erosion caused by shooting.
308 palma rifles get over 3000 rounds easily, and they would erode faster than a 375.
higher pressures, higher rate of fire, higher string counts when hot, and so on.
and that is for serious target accuracy.
bruce.

suspect that if it did it was not from erosion caused by shooting.
308 palma rifles get over 3000 rounds easily, and they would erode faster than a 375.
higher pressures, higher rate of fire, higher string counts when hot, and so on.
and that is for serious target accuracy.
bruce.
Thanks Bruce . It shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I am guessing that's an okay thing for a cape buffalo.

Hoss, 3” groups depending on the bullet should kill any buffalo out there.
That said, I’m a varmint hunter and mentally I cannot have any load I use in the field shoot more than 1” groups at 100 yards. It’s an illness I have:cry:!

Thanks Bruce . It shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I am guessing that's an okay thing for a cape buffalo.
Are you doing three-inches with open sights or a scope?

Are you doing three-inches with open sights or a scope?
Red Leg , Iron Sights for myself. But my wife occasionally uses my rifle ... Then l attach a scope. The 3 inch grouping is virtually the same with both iron sights and scope. I use Norma and Federal Ammunition . I recently ordered some Kynoch 300 grain round nosed solids , just for the nostalgia factor ( l read so many old books about the old elephant hunters using these rounds and also this is what my granddad used in '68 to take his elephant ) . I will try them out when they come .

Hoss, 3” groups depending on the bullet should kill any buffalo out there.
That said, I’m a varmint hunter and mentally I cannot have any load I use in the field shoot more than 1” groups at 100 yards. It’s an illness I have:cry:!
You're a perfectionist ! I used to own an old model Savage Model 99 in .22 Hi-Power ( which l foolishly sold shortly after getting my .375 ) . The gun was my VERY first Hunting rifle. It was a tack driver of a gun ( not something you typically expect from a lever action ). Back then , you could legally use a .22 Centre fire in Maine to take deer ( maybe you still can . I haven't done it in years , so l don't know ) , and l used mine to take some pretty big critters ! I always opted for the neck shot and the old Savage always delivered. But one day , l made a rash decision to sell it , after l nearly lost a buck with it while trying a heart shot. It's something l still regret to this day. Accurate little gun .

Last edited:
Red Leg , Iron Sights for myself. But my wife occasionally uses my rifle ... Then l attach a scope. The 3 inch grouping is virtually the same with both iron sights and scope. I use Norma and Federal Ammunition . I recently ordered some Kynoch 300 grain round nosed solids , just for the nostalgia factor ( l read so many old books about the old elephant hunters using these rounds and also this is what my granddad used in '68 to take his elephant ) . I will try them out when they come .
A pre-64 model 70 ought to give you 1.5 inch groups with a load it likes. I am sure you know that pre-64’s in general can have considerable collector value - a .375 especially. So be very conservative doing any “tweaking “ of that rifle.

With respect to accuracy, I’m pretty much MOA fixated as well. Out to 100 yards you will be ok with a 3 MOA .375. Beyond that, “threading a bullet” through cover becomes problematic. And of course, you likely will be hunting things besides buff. I would take my time and find a load it likes.

Last edited:
A pre-64 model 70 ought to give you 1.5 inch groups with a load it likes. I am sure you know that pre-64’s in general can have considerable collector value - a .375 especially. So be very conservative doing any “tweaking “ of that rifle.

With respect to accuracy, I’m pretty much MOA fixated as well. Out to 100 yards you will be ok with a 3 MOA .375. Beyond that, “threading a bullet” through cover becomes problematic. And of course, you likely will be hunting things besides buff. I would take my time and find a load it likes.
Red Leg , thanks for the useful advice . In regards to tweaking , I'm afraid you're 40 years too late ! During my Granddad's time , the stock split and he used some sort of strong adhesive and ( what l believe to be ) car door bolts to repair the stock and hold it together. He also smoothened the feed ramp so that it could feed certain types of ammo. My model 70 holds 4 in the magazine , unlike the modern model 70s which have a 3 round magazine and allow you to have one extra round in the chamber. But my model 70 can't be topped off with a 5th round in the chamber . A gunsmith once told me that he could try " opening up the extractors to allow the gun to be topped off with a fifth round " but l immediately refused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross