375/06 Encore

krinkansas

AH member
Reaction score
Media
anyone loaded for this? Thinking of using Barnes 270 lrx. Going to try for a Kodiak brown bear.

Load data would be great if anyone has it.

the Barnes load manual lists loads for .375 Scovil, which is basically a .375/06. If you don't have one let me know I'll pm you. Two bullets you may consider also are the Barnes TSX 235 gr to keep your velocity up, or a Woodleigh PPSP. These have good lower velocity performance and are bonded.

do I need to crimp since its a single shot?

New to the pistol game....''If anyone is really knowlegdable I'd love to pick your brain via phone or zoom

I don't think that you would need to crimp them but I would play with it. Try some crimped and some not and see what you like.

One thing to remember is that you are going to loose some velocity shooting these loads out of a pistol and one thing that you want on a bear is expansion and penetration.

I don’t think you need to crimp for SS handguns.
Is your Encore a straight .375/06 or the JDJ version? As others have stated, the Barnes manual gives data for the Scovil version which would be a good starting point for either.
As velocity will be around 2400 you should be able to get decent expansion with the 270 gr. I think the 235 gr might be a too light. Personally I wouldn’t go lower than 250 gr. I think you are spot on with a 270 gr.
I’ve only taken deer, antelope and hogs with Encore handguns but feel free to contact.

It's the 375/06
I don’t think you need to crimp for SS handguns.
Is your Encore a straight .375/06 or the JDJ version? As others have stated, the Barnes manual gives data for the Scovil version which would be a good starting point for either.
As velocity will be around 2400 you should be able to get decent expansion with the 270 gr. I think the 235 gr might be a too light. Personally I wouldn’t go lower than 250 gr. I think you are spot on with a 270 gr.
I’ve only taken deer, antelope and hogs with Encore handguns but feel free to contact.

thank you both. Do you think 235 is heavy enough for brown bear?
In that caliber in a rifle I would say absolutely not. SD about like an ashtray? I am headed to the Kamchatka next spring with 300 gr A Frames moving at 2400 fps from a H&H. Seems about right for a really big brown. But I don't pretend to know much about hunting with handguns. Though I don't believe terminal effects magically change.

I am taking a big rifle just throwing pistol in case right scenario develops. This pistol will throw a 270 grainer at 2350. It can do it
In that caliber in a rifle I would say absolutely not. SD about like an ashtray? I am headed to the Kamchatka next spring with 300 gr A Frames moving at 2400 fps from a H&H. Seems about right for a really big brown. But I don't pretend to know much about hunting with handguns. Though I don't believe terminal effects magically change.

I am taking a big rifle just throwing pistol in case right scenario develops. This pistol will throw a 270 grainer at 2350. It can do it

Unless you have a chronograph you better figure 1900-2000 perhaps.

What length of a barrel do you have 14" or 16"? Remember that any reloading data that you find will be out of a 20-22 inch barrel. When you start lopping barrel length off you loose velocity. As a example I have a T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters and the published velocity in a manual for my load is 2400 fps. Over a chronograph my 12" barrel is giving me a little over 2200 fps.

it's a 16" barrel. I have a lab radar and will be chronographing. I won't use that over 100 yds.

Last time I went I shot my bear at 32 yds walking straight at me. He didn't know I was there. 375 H&H was nice in that scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross