.357 Magnum for bear defense

A major problem with the spray is that people fail to read the instructions on the can.

You should give it a good shake once in a while or it will settle onto the bottom of the can, and while you will get something out of the nozzle it won't be the full effect.

I also agree on being able to hit the brain. It is a lot like trying to hit a tennis ball that is bouncing down the road while you are messing your pants.

I just got back from the range, so far I’m loving my 460 :)

View attachment 190947
6 shot Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull. Shoots well, plenty of stopping power, very controllable and heavy enough to double as a boat anchor if needed.
I pack a S&W 329pd 44 magnum about 80% of the time. It is a great revolver and so light you forget you are wearing it. Diamond D leather in Alaska makes what may be the most useful holster I have ever used. Regardless of what you are doing, the gun is never in the way yet always quickly accessible.
View attachment 190834
Good luck on your search,
Cody
My son has one highly recommended thanks for making my post simpler!

I take a .475 Linebaugh on the salmon streams.
But it's fun to hear why I'm wrong.

I'm just a guy, but I don't want to carry anything that's going to cause my ears to meet in the middle of my head.

I'm at work right now and the other day a fellow said he needed a hammer. So out came my hammer. He remarked that it was a small hammer and that he preferred a bigger one. I invited him to walk and go get one. He found my hammer sufficient for the task in an instant.

Obviously I prefer a bigger hammer too, but I can't carry it around endlessly waiting to use it. I take a similar approach to most things.

IMG_20210617_104438297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly better then nothing, but bear spray (as previously stated) is very good, but couple that with a new revolver in 44 magnum. It's a good excuse for another gun.
Not a fan of bear spray for a bunch of reasons

1. I don't train with it.
2. Wind direction is an issue
3. I've heard it's not always effective.

When I'm out in the national forest I carry my Springfield V16 in 45 Super. Buffalo Bored 255g hardcast at 1100 fps (chrono'd) out of it's six inch barrel. It's lighter and thinner than a big revolver and hits about as hard as a 41 Mag revolver with facotry ammo. I shoot it well and have killed more than few bears up close and personal with my 270 and 375 Weatherby. I'd rather not shoot one if I didn't have to though.

hVQM1g3.png
2XbDvJb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross