350gr A Frames 458 lott

Question is why? It looks a bit like trying to hold gasoline in a Dixie cup. Power is just leaking off that bullet like crazy. BC is .172 and if it starts at 2600 fps it's nothing more than a .30-06 by 200 yds. I just think I'd rather roll a cheaper .45-70 bullet in on that role for light skinned game. If I need the horse power I'm going with a 500 grain bullet and pushing it somewhere close to 2400 fps. With drops of 1,2,4,6,9,12,18 at 100,125, 150,175,200,225,250 I can make the hard hits out to as far as I can see to shoot open sights or a dot with.
 
Question is why? It looks a bit like trying to hold gasoline in a Dixie cup. Power is just leaking off that bullet like crazy. BC is .172 and if it starts at 2600 fps it's nothing more than a .30-06 by 200 yds. I just think I'd rather roll a cheaper .45-70 bullet in on that role for light skinned game. If I need the horse power I'm going with a 500 grain bullet and pushing it somewhere close to 2400 fps. With drops of 1,2,4,6,9,12,18 at 100,125, 150,175,200,225,250 I can make the hard hits out to as far as I can see to shoot open sights or a dot with.
No reason why, other than curiosity. I have the 500gr bullets I plan to use in it. I just happen to.have a bunch of the 350gr a frames that I use in my 45-70, and I find them more than satisfied at 1950fps. Was just curious if anyone had used them pushed to lott velocities
 
12” gongs but probably holding 6” groups. 350gr tsx however…. 16” penetration in wet fir, 100% weight retention. Fyi my 500NE with 570gr a frames only did 14” in this same block of wood
94E51601-CFF0-4D40-949C-CD066C6CEE22.jpeg
1289AD19-93E6-4974-B6C0-83FC5739D757.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,888
Members
170,449
Latest member
MarkusSayl
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top