35 Whelen

I have a question for you knowledgeable folks:

Would a 225 gr Accubond bullet be the optimal bullet in the 35 Whelen? I know it can get impressive speeds with the new powders. Plus, it’s a bonded core bullet, and is a stoutly made bullet, but not too stout to use it for smaller game.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
The 225gn Woodleigh PPSP or RNSP are great as well. In the Woodleigh you can go 250,275 and 310 as well.
Depending on what you want to hunt as to the projectile you use.
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
The 225gn Woodleigh PPSP or RNSP are great as well. In the Woodleigh you can go 250,275 and 310 as well.
Depending on what you want to hunt as to the projectile you use.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

I would definitely like to use Woodleigh bullets, especially the ones you mentioned, but they are a tad pricey here.

My go to bullets I like to use are Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra. Occasionally Speer.

Before the ammo and ammunition components shortage, I was buying Hornady bullets. I like their SST's, and ELD-X bullets quite a bit.

I really look forward to changing out the barrel and getting my 35W going.

Hawk

The Woodleigh 275 grain bullet would be the Whelen equivilent of the 9.3X62 286 grain projectile and the 310 Woodleigh should do well against any animal. Taylor use the 310 projectile in his 350 Rigby and thought it was as good for Elephant as the 375 H&H with a 300 grain bullet, penetration wise. The 350 Rigby was load to Whelen performance back then but it will match a 358 Norma mag if loaded properly.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

I would definitely like to use Woodleigh bullets, especially the ones you mentioned, but they are a tad pricey here.

My go to bullets I like to use are Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra. Occasionally Speer.

Before the ammo and ammunition components shortage, I was buying Hornady bullets. I like their SST's, and ELD-X bullets quite a bit.

I really look forward to changing out the barrel and getting my 35W going.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
I love the sst in my 25.
If you can get hold of some 250gn Hornady round nose grab all you can they are discontinued now but you might still be able to find some. The spire point is also good.
The 200s are a bit soft at 2,900fps but work well.
Bob

I have a question for you knowledgeable folks:

Would a 225 gr Accubond bullet be the optimal bullet in the 35 Whelen? I know it can get impressive speeds with the new powders. Plus, it’s a bonded core bullet, and is a stoutly made bullet, but not too stout to use it for smaller game.

Hawk
I found the Accubond to be very accurate and shoots flat due to a higher BC. In fact in my rifles the standard Accubond is more accurate then the long range version. They kill very well but can cause quite a bit of meat damage due to there rapid expansion so place your shot through the rib cage. Have found in the smaller calibers they loose around 45% of bullet weight, but hold up better as the caliber increases, this is probably due to velocity.
Ken

I found the Accubond to be very accurate and shoots flat due to a higher BC. In fact in my rifles the standard Accubond is more accurate then the long range version. They kill very well but can cause quite a bit of meat damage due to there rapid expansion so place your shot through the rib cage. Have found in the smaller calibers they loose around 45% of bullet weight, but hold up better as the caliber increases, this is probably due to velocity.
A great bullet that I prefer over the Accubond is the Trophy Bonded Tip bullet from Federal. This has the same construction as the old Bear Claw only in a high BC form. I tried one out this morning after early walk after some meat.

Photos enclosed
FDB173A6-D99B-4C2A-BE40-1AA4B4CF58BE.jpeg
D5B41C38-C245-4B54-93D5-04A224224FFE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the TBT it's a great bullet. Prior to the ammo shortage Federal use to load a 225 grain TBBC for the 35 Whelen.

I'm taking my 35Whelen to Africa for the second time in just over 3 weeks. I shoot a 225 Gr. Barnes over 59 Gr. of IMR 4064 out of a 25 " barrel. Barnes says it is good for 2800 FPS, but I've never chronographed it. All of the PG taken wit it on my first safari were one shot kills. The furthest we had to track anything was 40 yards. Most were DRT and no tracking was required.
Barnes Load Data cites 2701 fps for your load, not 2800. Speer Rifle Data shows a 250 gr HotCor @ 2709 fps, 66.2 gr Alliant Power Pro-MR 2000. The HotCor is a very good standard bullet, not so good on ball joints, but capable otherwise. Haven't tried either, don't see a reason to hot rod this fine old cartridge, keep it in range, 250 gr at 2400 death on wheels.

Barnes Load Data cites 2701 fps for your load, not 2800. Speer Rifle Data shows a 250 gr HotCor @ 2709 fps, 66.2 gr Alliant Power Pro-MR 2000. The HotCor is a very good standard bullet, not so good on ball joints, but capable otherwise. Haven't tried either, don't see a reason to hot rod this fine old cartridge, keep it in range, 250 gr at 2400 death on wheels.
@EfRed
The 250grainers at 2,700fps out of the Whelen are death by freight train.
Even the humble 250gn Hornady round nose punches big holes in bigger game and rocks them to the core. Not tracking involved and leaves a blood trail blind Freddy could follow on a moonless night.
Bob

"not so good on ball joints". But they're hell on tie rods! LOL

I'm a huge fan of the 35 Whelen and I used it on my last safari in SA. I don't really see the need for the 280 grain unless you are trying to hunt DG which is illegal with the 35 Whelen unless it's Mr. Spots. IMO the 35 Whelen and 250 grain NP is ideal for African PG and Mr Spots. As far as long range shooting goes, on my last safari our PH's wanted to have a shooting contest out to 300 yards, they used a 270 and a 243 I used my Whelen. From shooting blue rock at 100 yards to 8" gongs at 300 the Whelen and I never missed, those PH's with their high velocity, flat shooting rifles can't say the same

"not so good on ball joints". But they're hell on tie rods! LOL
Using a 225 grain slug the Barnes book lists 55 grains of 4064 to get 2700 fps. The Nosler lists 58 gr of 4064 to achieve over 2800. I used this load with very good results in Namibia a few years ago... I also loaded 225 Accubonds using the same load and achieved virtually the same point of impact at 100 yards, however at 300 the Barnes was an inch or so lower.

Personally, I think 250 grains is the sweet spot for the Whelen... Hot-Cors, for those standing in line at the soup kitchen, Partitions, for those sipping champagne on their yacht while planning their next Safari.
@hoytcanon
And 250gn Woodleighs for those that just want to get the job done with no fuss or bother. They just work.
For those in a beer income ain't nothing wrong with the the humble 250 gn interlockts in spire point or round nose.
I have a beer income but use both Woodleigh and Hornady.
Biv

@hoytcanon
And 250gn Woodleighs for those that just want to get the job done with no fuss or bother. They just work.
For those in a beer income ain't nothing wrong with the the humble 250 gn interlockts in spire point or round nose.
I have a beer income but use both Woodleigh and Hornady.
Biv
I agree on your comments. I have used both. But I prefer a bonded or monolithic bullet like Barnes or Accubond. Too bad Woodleighs are no longer in the game...

I agree on your comments. I have used both. But I prefer a bonded or monolithic bullet like Barnes or Accubond. Too bad Woodleighs are no longer in the game...
@Eick Cox
Woodleigh is back in the game mate.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,