35 Whelen vs 9.3x62

Wow, very confusing cartridge requirements depending on where you’re hunting? It appears from your description of the cartridge requirements in Scotland, that factory .35 Whelen loads may not make the cut? So, to be on the safe side, hunt with a .338WM and you’ll be good to go!

Yep. Though to be fair most of us find a .270W / .308W / 30.06 type cartridge fine

(I'm contrarian and use a 257 Roberts and 7x64 just to be difficult so nur-n-nur-n-nur-nur :p )

Laws/regulations are funny.

In my neck of the woods big game requires minimum 9g (140gr) bullets producing 2700 joules (??? ft-lbs) @ 100m, or 10g (155gr) bullets producing 2000 joules @ 100m.

This means that the 6.5×55 is juuust about legal for bears, boars and moose. (Moose are not "hard" targets, but if I ever went bear hunting, I would pick something bigger.)

Slugs? Only in single-barreled guns, and only for boars and fallow deer.

Roe deer? A 222 or 223 is the sensible minimum allowed rifle cartridge, but a shotgun is also fine (no slugs).

Black powder cartridges not allowed for hunting. Period.

Only 12, 16 or 20ga shotguns allowed for hunting. Buckshot not allowed.

Bow hunting? Not yet allowed, but may be changing in a few years. Maybe.

But if I recall correctly, I've understood that there are some odd regulations in (parts of) the US as well - like "muzzleloaders only" and "straightwall cartridge only". Would be interesting to know more about that.

Sorry for going completely off topic until now.

I have a 9.3×62. It's OK I guess. Only killed paper so far.

Wow, very confusing cartridge requirements depending on where you’re hunting? It appears from your description of the cartridge requirements in Scotland, that factory .35 Whelen loads may not make the cut? So, to be on the safe side, hunt with a .338WM and you’ll be good to go!
@CoElkHunter
I really love your jokes. Why go the 338 when the Whelen shoots flatter hits harder and is a far more versatile cartridge
Your keyboard is developing even more issue my friend. It is now typing 338 as well as 375 every time you type in 35 Whelen. Please get it fixed soon, I might even have a spare for you that has the 4, 7 and 8 removed so you can't type 338, 375 or 243 on it. This might help you with your typing
Bob

Yep. Though to be fair most of us find a .270W / .308W / 30.06 type cartridge fine

(I'm contrarian and use a 257 Roberts and 7x64 just to be difficult so nur-n-nur-n-nur-nur :p )
@Scrumbag
Your thinking along the r ought lines with the 257 Roberts. He could go even better and get the 25/06 or the 257 Weatherby.
Forget the 7x64 and go for the uber cool 280AI.
BOB

That's something which could have swayed my decision, but I didn't know it at the time! :E Doh:
Who needs readily available factory ammunition anyway?!
Can you even imagine the speed? A 90gr Mak bullet at 4000, exploding ground dwelling rodents.

Makarov bullets in a 9.3? Now that's interesting indeed. Too bad those bullets aren't exactly commonplace either. Has that pesky problem not sometimes not strong enough in certain places.

The .35 can at least use commonly available bullets for the .357/.38 for its plinking needs. In another life I might have been in love with this caliber. Bummer that I found the .300 WM first and it just doesn't make power enough for DG use.

Now the .243 is where it's really at for all your flexible rifle needs. You can really reach out and touch all the big game with a 100+ grain bullet and incinerate the small game with the lighter 75's and even 55's. Hi @Bob Nelson 35Whelen !

Now the .243 is where it's really at for all your flexible rifle needs. You can really reach out and touch all the big game with a 100+ grain bullet and incinerate the small game with the lighter 75's and even 55's. Hi @Bob Nelson 35Whelen !
No. Just no! I'm sure Bob will back me up here! :eek:

Makarov bullets in a 9.3? Now that's interesting indeed. Too bad those bullets aren't exactly commonplace either. Has that pesky problem not sometimes not strong enough in certain places.

The .35 can at least use commonly available bullets for the .357/.38 for its plinking needs. In another life I might have been in love with this caliber. Bummer that I found the .300 WM first and it just doesn't make power enough for DG use.

@Forrest Halley
May the bolts on your rifles rust up and freeze never to open again.
Try in g to tell an avid 25 user that the horrible little 243 has actually got a use is fight'n words. By use on big game I'm assuming you are meaning nothing bigger than field mice and even then it's marginal.

I sincerely hope you don't inflict that abomination on your young fella. If you need I will even start a go fund me page to get him a 257 Roberts. That way you can get A cartridge adapter for the Roberts chambered for the 25ACP or 25/20
Bob

@Forrest Halley
Try in g to tell an avid 25 user that the horrible little 243 has actually got a use is fight'n words. By use on big game I'm assuming you are meaning nothing bigger than field mice and even then it's marginal.

I sincerely hope you don't inflict that abomination on your young fella. If you need I will even start a go fund me page to get him a 257 Roberts. That way you can get A cartridge adapter for the Roberts chambered for the 25ACP or 25/20
Bob
I'm not sure whatchoo guys yapping about. Smallest varmint rifle I've ever had is a .264 Win Mag. I wasn't aware they made boolits any smaller ?

+1 for the 100gr Hydros and Raptors for most of the big game with the ._ _ _ Winchester!

243 Win? No! Get a 257 Roberts!

@Forrest Halley

Bob
You tell ‘em, Bob!

@Forrest Halley
If you need I will even start a go fund me page to get him a 257 Roberts. That way you can get A cartridge adapter for the Roberts chambered for the 25ACP or 25/20
Bob
Well now we're talking! We could call it the Bob Nelson Preservation of Manhood in Perpetuity Youth Rifle Fund. Put a big kangaroo on the side with your mug for his face... deadliest rifle in the field! Haha I'm kidding.
I'm not sure whatchoo guys yapping about. Smallest varmint rifle I've ever had is a .264 Win Mag. I wasn't aware they made boolits any smaller ?
And it was an R8 and has was keeping from having to buy another bolthead. He's got a point Bob...we could start him with an R8 like this... it's bigger than a .243. Or how about a .257Wby and load it down?
+1 for the 100gr Hydros and Raptors for most of the big game with the ._ _ _ Winchester!
Right! Now we're talking! Clean living there with kill power to spare!
243 Win? No! Get a 257 Roberts!
I guess it's the United Kingdom for a reason...they agree with each other on minimum cartridges.

Well now we're talking! We could call it the Bob Nelson Preservation of Manhood in Perpetuity Youth Rifle Fund. Put a big kangaroo on the side with your mug for his face... deadliest rifle in the field! Haha I'm kidding.

And it was an R8 and has was keeping from having to buy another bolthead. He's got a point Bob...we could start him with an R8 like this... it's bigger than a .243. Or how about a .257Wby and load it down?

I guess it's the United Kingdom for a reason...they agree with each other on minimum cartridges.
The .243 Win is a great varmint cartridge, and small deer rifle for 12 year old girls. I don't support the idea of it used on Mule Deer, or definitely not on Elk or larger. The 7mm-08 is a good minimum for that.

I came up with a new way to check minimum. If your wife can wear the bullets on ear rings, and not cringe with every step, your choice of cartridge is too small for big game.

@Forrest Halley
You're going down the right track with the marking on the rifle BUT leave my ugly face off it. You don't wanna to scare the shit out of the little fella and turn him of long guns.
He'll even @CoElkHunter gets scared shitless when he sees my face in his nightmares and he's a grown man. Imagine the psychological damage you would inflict on your son with my picture on his rifle.
Your wife would belt the piss and pick handles out of you for such a horrible thing and children protection services would be after you for child endangerment, so just leave it with the kangaroo and forget about my face on it

Loading the 257 Weatherby down is akin to pulling 6 plug leads off a V8 motor. Useless.
Fast 25s are good for a reason THEY ARE FAST.

Forget about the R8 that may turn him into a gunsnob who doesn't appreciate the simple things in life and we don't want that.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!