35 Whelen vs 9.3x62

expresshunt

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
IPHA, SCI, SSAA, DCS, ADA, SWH&C, MSL.
Hunted
Australia, RSA, Belgium, Hungary, NZ, Nam/Caprivi, Moz, Kyrgyzstan, France, USA, Spain.
@WAB
Thanks mate and I do like your sense of humor especially in trying to make me think the 243 actually has a use. Makes me laugh all the time.
Bob

Love my 243.. but dont have a use for a 35 Whelan atm... Got a lovely mauser 9.3x62 sporter, buy some ammo, fire one, maybe 2 test shots every trip to Vic, fixes Sambar at any angle. All great Sambar rounds the 35W, 9.3 and 338WM, as effective close & far, through brush, and not a heavy rifle to carry up hills. For our backpacking Sambar hunts in mountains etc I then grab an ultralight 300WSM, much easier to climb and tote around, when all camp items etc are as light weight as possible.
Have seen the 35W, 9.3 and 338 all perform well on Water buffalo and Scrub bull too, with a tough bullet and perfect placement. I'm sure lots, and all sorts of game fell to the 318, 333, 8mm and 350s in past years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Love my 243.. but dont have a use for a 35 Whelan atm... Got a lovely mauser 9.3x62 sporter, buy some ammo, fire one, maybe 2 test shots every trip to Vic, fixes Sambar at any angle. All great Sambar rounds the 35W, 9.3 and 338WM, as effective close & far, through brush, and not a heavy rifle to carry up hills. For our backpacking Sambar hunts in mountains etc I then grab an ultralight 300WSM, much easier to climb and tote around, when all camp items etc are as light weight as possible.
Have seen the 35W, 9.3 and 338 all perform well on Water buffalo and Scrub bull too, with a tough bullet and perfect placement. I'm sure lots, and all sorts of game fell to the 318, 333, 8mm and 350s in past years.
@expresshunt
Someone has to like the 243 but I can't come at it. Glad to hear you like your sambar hunting.
Where in OZ do you hail from. There's a lot of us on here.
Bob

expresshunt

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Hunted
Australia, RSA, Belgium, Hungary, NZ, Nam/Caprivi, Moz, Kyrgyzstan, France, USA, Spain.
My 243 Sako Varmint is my varmint, fox, rabbit, roo rifle.. dont like cleaning a 224 bore.. In WA, and venture to NT in dry season for safari work. Try to get on Sambar every year now, love it, and Africa calls us...

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
I think if we can agree that powder capacity rules the day, then while the difference is small between the two, the larger capacity still wins if both are loaded to max in similar platforms with similar loads, same bullet weight, pressure etc. It cannot be otherwise.
And if the .35 Whelen can nip at the heels of the .375 magnum, well then load them both ups to max, and throw in the .338 win mag too and see who wins.
I used to consider myself a fairly adventurous reloader, but well, not anymore, especially as compared to some,, LOL.
Get well soon Bob!
Ses, now there you go injecting facts in to a purely subjective and emotional subject.

I will organise a full case of coolaide to be dispatched to your address immediately.

expresshunt

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Hunted
PaulT.. do you have a 35W or 9.3 for Sambar.? Your in that neck of the woods in Victoria.

MS 9x56

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have both and like both. The main difference at least here in the US is most rifles come in 1-14 twist which means a loss of accuracy with the longer bullets plus lack of heavier than 250 grain bullets where as you can get up to 320 grain bullets for the 9.3. Not that we have anything that requires those heavier bullets in North America. I do enjoy reloading, shooting and hunting with both. Good hunting gentleman.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
PaulT.. do you have a 35W or 9.3 for Sambar.? Your in that neck of the woods in Victoria.
@expresshunt
I used to use a 444 marlin on a No4 SMLE loaded with 280 grain Woodleigh RNSP @ 2,400 fps. I found this to much gun. Last one I shot was with a 270 loaded with the Australian 130grain ACPs. One shot bang flop.
Bob.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I have both and like both. The main difference at least here in the US is most rifles come in 1-14 twist which means a loss of accuracy with the longer bullets plus lack of heavier than 250 grain bullets where as you can get up to 320 grain bullets for the 9.3. Not that we have anything that requires those heavier bullets in North America. I do enjoy reloading, shooting and hunting with both. Good hunting gentleman.
@MS 9x56
Try midway last I heard they had 310 grain Woodleigh RNSP in stock in 358 cal.
They also do a 275grain
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
bob,
why did you use a 444 rather than the whelen?
bruce.
@bruce moulds
The Whelen got built after I shot a sambar with the 270.
Had to shoot something bigger with the 270 so I could say anything about it. Yeah the 270 works but I still don't like it. My 25 will do everything it does and more.
Bob

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Hi Graham.

I have, and have had, all the calibers you mention, plus the 30/06, various 300 mags the .338, the 9.3x64 and the .375 and have used all of them on Sambar.

As you will appreciate, far more important to me than the caliber being used is the projectile being fired and where it is placed.
For me it is the projectile and not the cartridge that is doing the damage.
Thousands of an inch here or there are basically irrelevant if using an inappropriate projectile.

For my own use i have settled on a 220gn Corelokt from my 06' for most of my stalking and a 225gn from my .338 for my "glassing"/back-packing hunts where shots can be out to 350yds. Both have proven 100% effective and reliable.

7x57Joe

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
My 243 Sako Varmint is my varmint, fox, rabbit, roo rifle.. dont like cleaning a 224 bore..

It's nice to know someone else doesn't like cleaning .224 bore barrels. I absolutely detest cleaning them and I have such a nice, accurate .223.:D

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
It's nice to know someone else doesn't like cleaning .224 bore barrels. I absolutely detest cleaning them and I have such a nice, accurate .223.:D
I felt the same way and then I bought a .17. Now the .224 doesn't seem so bad!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElenaBlank

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh