338wm reduced loads

Mwag

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Preparing to go to RSA in a few weeks. I am taking 338wm and 416rm. I am looking to put together a reduced loads for 338 just in case the wife decides to hunt something. I found some 180 nosler accubonds that are supposed to expand down to 1800fps. I am looking for something equivalent to a 7-08 recoil if anyone wants to share a recipe. 100 yds is farthest she is comfortable shooting.

You’ll hit 11 lbs ammo+case really easily with both a 338 and especially the 416 rounds, it will be probably 70 rounds total. Have you considered asking your PH what rifles may be available instead of taking up space with extreme reduced recoil loads?

I've got everything weighed.
20-416, 60-338 in carry case=10.85#
I talked with ph and he has a 243 that she could use. I was thinking about taking some lighter 338 loads for her, and just in case for me if I decide on something smaller than kudu, eland that I have currently loaded.

Came across some data for the discontinued IMR SR4759 powder.

39.5 gr w/180 accubonds and WMR primer produced 2420 through chrono.
Equivalent to a 308 in recoil.
I think the Mrs can handle in the event she wants to hunt.

I will try on paper tomorrow to see how close impact is between the heavy loads and the duffers

Check the Hodgdon manual, it may have a light load using H4895

Yes, either 5744 or 4759 will work for reduced loads. Also as MikeVH just posted, Hodgdon recommends 60% of max load of H4895 for a reduced load. I just looked up a couple 180 gr H4895 loads and it looks like about 37 gr of H4895 is acceptable using Hodgdon 60% rule. I've tried the 60% H4895 loads in a few calibers and they are useful and relatively mild but sometimes the accuracy is a little wanting. Just have to shoot them and see.

And I think that either Partitions or Accubonds should expand enough at the reduced velocities. The other good bonded bullet that would likely do well for this use would be the Norma Oryx. The A-Frame would also work but maybe not expand as much as the ones just mentioned. One to avoid would probably be the TSX/TTSX. Conversely, I would also avoid going too far the other direction and using a bullet too soft or frangible trying to compensate. That would especially hold true if the possibly of eland exists. good luck!

Attachments

• h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Or you can just tell her they are reduced loads
giphy.gif

I thought about that as well, probably not a good idea.
A scoped eyebrow or seriously bruised shoulder for her would probably put a real kink in the trip.
If she goes, has a good time, whether she hunts or not is what is important.
If SHE suggests that we go back again it is much easier

Progress report, tried the 180AB with several different charges of H4895 and SR 4759. Both powders below 2500fps were mild enough recoil for wife. Problem was I could not get them to group minute of impala/bushbuck. Best group was 6" at 100yds from a Ruger NO1 with heavyweight load normally shoots a one hole cloverleaf group. I guess if she decides to hunt, it will be with the camp 243
Thanks for sharing recipes
I will post hunt report upon return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!