338 win mag drunk impulse purchase

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I always said I'd never own a Savage accutrigger, a stainless rifle, or synthetic stock again - but here I am with all 3. My brother came over with his new Savage 300 win mag today and I was very impressed (still not a fan of the accutrigger though). So after a few drinks tonight I am the new owner of a Savage Storm stainless 338 win mag (picking up in a few days)

Reg price $750, on sale for $520, $75 rebate, and $350 in gift cards and I'm in this thing for $150.

I figure the 338 is a nice niche between my 7mm rem mag and 375 hh. Too bad its ugly as your mom :A Happy Wave:

If you think it's ugly now, wait till you sober-up !!!

You'll be chewing your own arm off at the range to get away from it.

Bwahahaha. No offence.

I learnt a while back, stay off the gunsales sites when on the sauce !!!

I always said I'd never own a Savage accutrigger, a stainless rifle, or synthetic stock again - but here I am with all 3. My brother came over with his new Savage 300 win mag today and I was very impressed (still not a fan of the accutrigger though). So after a few drinks tonight I am the new owner of a Savage Storm stainless 338 win mag (picking up in a few days)

Reg price $750, on sale for $520, $75 rebate, and $350 in gift cards and I'm in this thing for $150.

I figure the 338 is a nice niche between my 7mm rem mag and 375 hh. Too bad its ugly as your mom :A Happy Wave:

Gotta link?

At that price I’ll buy 2!

Ye a h mate, so ugly, you'd be lucky if you get the value of the gift cards back.
But, on the bright side if you do need an all weather Butt ugly gun to loan to your mates then now you have it.
You are one up on me i don't have a .338wm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.46.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.46.04 AM.png
    655.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.46.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.46.05 AM.png
    830.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.46.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.46.07 AM.png
    977.4 KB · Views: 215
Thanks Curtis!

@curtism1234
They might be as ugly as a bucket full of of cats backsides but usually they shoot beyond belief. If'n y'all don't like the triggering Malcolm at rifle Basix triggers and get one of his. Easy to install a n d I've got the one on my Whelen adjusted to 2 pounds. No creep or overtravell.
Bob

Ye a h mate, so ugly, you'd be lucky if you get the value of the gift cards back.
But, on the bright side if you do need an all weather Butt ugly gun to loan to your mates then now you have it.
You are one up on me i don't have a .338wm
@CBH
And it will more than likely run rings around his other rifles in accuracy.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder mate. My Stevens 200/Savage 110 doesn't look that bad but holy snappin duck shit bat man the bloke holding could do with a make over. He's as ugly as sin. Lucky I shot the wife's seeing eye dog because she still thinks I'm good looking.
Bob
Bob

@curtism1234
They might be as ugly as a bucket full of of cats backsides but usually they shoot beyond belief. If'n y'all don't like the triggering Malcolm at rifle Basix triggers and get one of his. Easy to install a n d I've got the one on my Whelen adjusted to 2 pounds. No creep or overtravell.
Bob
I knew the Whelen would get a mention, @Curtism perhaps you should have bought a Whelen

I knew the Whelen would get a mention, @Curtism perhaps you should have bought a Whelen
Or use more gift cards and buy a .375 barrel and voila a .375-.338! He could be the first on his block to have one! In a Savage, no less.

Hey, if it shoots who cares what it looks like. It's rounds downrange that count and Savages do shoot pretty good. What's that song---Never Make A Pretty Woman Your Wife? Could say the same for guns. Look at it with a clear eye and put a few downrange. You'll love it.

Or use more gift cards and buy a .375 barrel and voila a .375-.338! He could be the first on his block to have one! In a Savage, no less.
Ive always liked the acctrigger and my favorite PG is my Savage 300WSM. Why don’t you like about it?

Ive always liked the acctrigger and my favorite PG is my Savage 300WSM. Why don’t you like about it?
I had an accutrigger and the slightest bump of the stock of the gun and the darn thing locked up, pull the trigger as hard as you like...no bang! To clear, you need to cycle the bolt. I sold the gun.

I actually have no issues with Savage rifles. For the price point, they are well built and accurate. The 110s are/were one of the most accurate, inexpensive bolt actions ever made. I have had two Savage .22s for years and a couple of years ago I bought my daughter in law a Savage Axis “Muddy Girl” edition in one of BobNelson35Whelen’s favorite calibers, the .243 Winchester. Very smooth action and accurate. My point in the post was for what Curtism1234 paid for the rifle, he could have a .375 wildcat for the price of a new barrel and his Savage would be a one off rifle and still way below the cost of a new .375 rifle. Probably not what most people would do, but it would be fun to try it and not be out a lot of money.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg