.338 Federal

At "elk altitudes," performance for all cartridges improves. A 200 gr accubond is still at 2000 fps out to 350 yards in the high country.

At 300 yards there is a 400 ft lb advantage to the 30 cal and probably 5" trajectory. I would just assume have that

At 300 yards there is a 400 ft lb advantage to the 30 cal and probably 5" trajectory. I would just assume have that
The only thing is, a .300 really needs a 24"-26" barrel to attain those speeds. I used to have a Ruger Frontier in .300 WSM. It would literally use 15 more grains of powder than a .308 shooting the same weight bullets (180 grain) and still produce only 2400 fps from that 16" barrel. I am also not a big fan of short mags. The only one I had fed like I was trying to push a bike chain uphill into a meat grinder. That said, I also am on the lookout for a .300 Win Mag as I also like that round. Reasonable recoil and flat shooting with enough authority to get it done. I was just drawn to the .338 federal because it looked like it had the best of both worlds. Hit like a .30-06, with a bigger, heavier bullet that shoots flatter and all that with low recoil and a short light rifle to boot. But I am willing to change my mind if something fits that bill better.

I also was considering the 8mm rem mag but I think it is so obsolete and everything is so hard to find including rifles that it is a no go.

All true, but now you're back to a large, magnum action rifle. 338 Federal works out of a .308 Win size rifle, and with the medium powders indicated for it, means velocities should be right at what the published data says it is, even if the publishers are using 24" test barrels and the actual rifle used has a 22" barrel.

Every single cartridge selection is a trade-off of something - velocity, recoil, bullet weight, expense, action length, total rifle weight, total length, etc.

As I've said any number of times in the past, there is zero utility in any small or medium magnum rifle IF the shooter doesn't practice beyond 300 yards. A 300 WM won't kill an elk any deader inside 300 yards than my 6.5x55 SE, and it isn't appreciably flatter shooting inside 300 yards, either, assuming they're both sighted in for MPBR. Out past 300 yards, there's no contest - IMO, use a magnum or go home.

Step 1. Buy a cheap, used 270 or 30-06 in whatever flavor of rifle you like.

Step 2. Send it to Jes in Oregon for a rebore http://www.35caliber.com

Step 3. Enjoy your 338-06 or 35 Whelen in about 2 weeks after sending it in to Jes.

Alt: buy a cheap used 243 or 308, follow step 2-3 and enjoy your 338 Federal or 358 Win.

This can all be done well under 1k (+/- $500 for gun, $250 for rebore with shipping) all in and you won't be hindered by what rifles are currently available. You could also add a new stock and be just over that 1k mark, for example if you add a B&C Medallist for $280. Now you've got a nice semi-custom in a rifle you like in a chambering you wanted.

You could also go savage, and just swap the barrel. I see used Savage rifles for under $350 all over. There are dozens of options for a pre-fit barrel in whatever chamber you choose. Even midway and brownells carry them.

Last edited:

Step 3. Enjoy your 338-06 or 35 Whelen in about 2 weeks after sending it in to Jes.

Alt: buy a cheap used 243 or 308, follow step 2-3 and enjoy your 338 Federal or 358 Win.

This can all be done well under 1k (+/- $500 for gun, $250 for rebore with shipping) all in and you won't be hindered by what rifles are currently available.

You could also go savage, and just swap the barrel. I see used Savage rifles for under $350 all over. There are dozens of options for a pre-fit barrel in whatever chamber you choose. Even midway and brownells carry them.
Thanks! I didn't know about Jes until now. That is a great resource!

ChrisG,

Friend of mine just had an old sporterized 30-06 m98 turned into a 9.3x62, I think he had it back in 8 days. He is very happy with it.

This can all be done well under 1k (+/- $500 for gun, $250 for rebore with shipping) all in and you won't be hindered by what rifles are currently available. You could also add a new stock and be just over that 1k mark, for example if you add a B&C Medallist for $280. Now you've got a nice semi-custom in a rifle you like in a chambering you wanted.

Savage's custom shop will do the work on a new gun for under $1000, but it depends on which donor rifle you start with.

Somebody on here had Savage's custom shop turn out a pair of 7x57 for something like 800 each, give or take a bit

Fair enough; there are tradeoffs to everything. I just wanted to show there are other options.

I do like the 338fed

I suggest the 338 win mag using 225-250 grain Bullets
+1
And may I add that the Ruger Guide Gun is available in 338WM with a 20" stainless action and barrel.
Perfect combination for elk and crappy weather.

+1
And may I add that the Ruger Guide Gun is available in 338WM with a 20" stainless action and barrel.
Perfect combination for elk and crappy weather.
I like the guide gun, however, I don't need another medium bore magnum. My .375 H&H will do everything a .338 win will and it hits harder and kicks less within the range I was looking for. I am however, considering a .300 Win Mag as well. I will hopefully not be shooting much past 300 yards and 350 absolute max.

300 win mag would be excellent with 180 grain Bullets hard driven

I like the guide gun, however, I don't need another medium bore magnum. My .375 H&H will do everything a .338 win will and it hits harder and kicks less within the range I was looking for. I am however, considering a .300 Win Mag as well. I will hopefully not be shooting much past 300 yards and 350 absolute max.
Ruger Guide Gun is available in 300WM as well.

What about the 9.3x62? Just stick to 232 and 250 gr bullets. Its close to the 375 yes, but running the lighter bullets its about perfect for the range and weight of game

What about the 9.3x62? Just stick to 232 and 250 gr bullets. Its close to the 375 yes, but running the lighter bullets its about perfect for the range and weight of game
Just like the .338 Win Mag, massive overlap with a .375 H&H. I can shoot 235 and 250 grain bullets from my .375 at higher speeds with little difference in recoil between those and a 9.3x62. I don't need two heavy medium bores. I need something to fill that gap so I was looking for experience with the .338 federal. I like how handy those rifles are and the brass can be made from all the .308 brass laying around at my local range.

Chris, I own and use rifles in all of the calibers being mentioned except for the .338 Federal. My preference for a mid-bore would be the 35 Whelen. You have a larger frontal diameter than the 30 cals. and a choice of bullet weights from 180 Gr. up through 250 Gr. My go to load is currently 59 GR of 4064 and a 225 Gr. Barnes TSX bullet. BTW that load is out of an older Barnes manual. I'm almost willing to bet that the 35 Whelen uses 10 or more grains less powder than similar velocities and bullet weights from a 375 H&H. If your heart is set on a .338 Federal, go for it. Just know that you are giving up a lot when comparing it to a Whelen. That being said your desire for a rifle that weighs less than 7.5 lbs. in a caliber suitable for Elk is going to get your attention every time you fire it.

Chris look into the 200gr GS Customs for the 375 it moves out the muzzle around 3200 fps almost same trajectory as 300 WM and a little more thump I use it in 375 Ruger out too 400+ yards. Take your money for new rifle and get two sets of QD rings and new glass.
Not that I’m trying to talk you out of another rifle (that would be in-AH of me)
Shawn

6B6389FC-4C98-462A-BB8C-63E6145D7FEC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 256635 Chris look into the 200gr GS Customs for the 375 it moves out the muzzle around 3200 fps almost same trajectory as 300 WM and a little more thump I use it in 375 Ruger out too 400+ yards. Take your money for new rifle and get two sets of QD rings and new glass.
Not that I’m trying to talk you out of another rifle (that would be in-AH of me)
Shawn
Thanks Shawn,

The rifle Already has a nice Leupold VX-2 ultralight on it. QD rings are not a bad idea.

Get second scope and rings then only have to switch scope to switch bullets.
That’s the way my cheap mind works.
Shawn

Although the .338 WIn mag is one of my favorites for critters over 500#, your .375 is in a similar niche. Your idea a .338 Fed or a.35 Whelen would both fill the “hole” in your arsenal.
If a Sako or Savage isn’t to you liking, do as Milehighshooter suggests, buy a used rifle and have it rebarreled.
I’d love to see a Browning BLR, Henry Long Ranger or Remington pump in .338 Fed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois