.338-06 or .35 Whelen

Don't forget you can take near all the same game with a good bullet in a 30/06 placed in the right spot & these are just the 06 on steroids .

Pick a good bullet & it won't even be a test of either of them in Texas .

I must say after seeing others (clients) & using them all myself the 9.3X62 is a very good choice if you want to shot big tough animals .

For more all round use I think the 338/06 is more suitable & I do use the 185gr both GMX & TSX a lot,
I did invested in some CEB ESP Raptor 175gr to use on a hunt in Namibia, as they can be used as a great expander & solid loaded the other way, I could not get my rifle to shoot them as well as I wanted & in the finish circumstances detected I use one of my 9.3X62, it was very effective .

Last edited:
I once had a post 64 Win 70 rebarreled by Shaw to .338-06. It was little more than a mediocre shooter though and I sold it shortly thereafter. I do like the round though. Hmmmm.....

I’m having a serious conundrum going on.

I have my project Savage 111, but I have been pricing aftermarket switch barrels.
The .35 Whelen barrel, a 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist = $239
I found a .338-06 barrel, 24 inch, 1-10 inch twist = $206

I know, that both are pretty much equal when it comes to performance.

So what do you guys have to say?

I already know what Bob is going to say- that’s a given. LOL

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
It's your choice mate as long as you are happy. Both are great cartridges but for some unknown reason you can't stoke the 338 ought six up much. Probably because when Art Alpin made it a commercial cartridge it was already fairly good.
Proper head stamped brass is hard to find for the 338/06 tho.
The Whelen can be stoked to out do the 338/06 and push hard on the heel and in some cases out do the 338 mag. Proper head stamped brass readily available.
The choice is yours, you will be happy either way but for the sake of 23 bucks I know what I would choose.
You thought I would give a different answer instead of making you think.
Bob

The only difference between the two, is the barrel rate of twist.

I’m leaning towards a faster rate of twist in the .338-06 because it will be able to handle the heavy .338 bullets better than the 1 in 14 twist of the .35 Whelen.

So for that reason, I am leaning right now towards a .338-06 barrel.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
The 1 in 14 twist in the 35 will handle anything up to 310 grains so no problems there.
Both barrels will handle any butter designed for them.
BC over normal sane hunting distance doesn't play much of a part. You don't need a .7 bc to shoot 400 yards..
Greater bullet selection means more load development and decision to find the right load and in this time of powder shortages makes life harder.
With the 35 you only need one powder and select one of 3 bullets to do the job. Generally a good 225gn or 250gr.
Your choice.
Bob

It is a budget rifle....you want to use something to build a custom rifle of sorts at least start with a decent base...the actiin is the hart of a rifle...
Of course each can do as they please but personally I would not buy or build anything on a entry level action....
@IvW
That so called budget action is the same action that Savage uses on all its rifles and has done so since 1958.
If it is such a cheap nasty budget actin why do Savage build the record breaking F class rifles on the same action
A 4.5 inch group at 1,000 yards using the cheap action Savage F class rifle isn't to shabby and that's a bog stock factory rifle.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Savage action apart from being a bit like me, ugly.
My Whelen is built on the so called even cheaper Stevens 200 aka Savage 110 and groups a lot less than an inch at 100 yards no matter what I throw down the barrel.
Bob

20200201_135545.jpg

My Stevens 200/ Savage 110 looks fine to me and shoot little groups.

Good point. The furthest animal I have seen taken was my son's antelope at 349 yards from a 16.25" 308 Win. Muzzle velocity at 10' was 2700 fps. Nothing spectacular just saw a slight flinch on impact, but down he went. 2750 fps is where 250 gr bullets exit my 21.25" 338 RUM. I'm quite happy with this barrel length.
@John J
2,700 fps is where my Whelen is at with 250gr and 25 inch barrel. So I will stick with my 25 inches using half a bucket less powder and leaves my hat on when I pull the trigger.
What is the normal velocity of the RUM before the barrel was shortened and is all the thunder and recoil worth it when smaller can do the same bar 50fps.
Bob

Another thing to consider is that most 358 bullets are made for the whelen, and most 338 bullets are made for the win mag. You might get better expansion with the 35 whelen.
@Wyatt Smith
Young Wyatt you are 100% correct.
There is only one company in the world that makes bullets to suit non magnum 338s. That is Woodleigh a 250 grain 338 at slower velocities fails to expand long before the same weight in 35 cal.
Bob

Your project is very commendable and the Savage 110/111s are great rifles for the price. But, I see dollar signs floating in the air from your project. For the average price of the Savage and an extra barrel, I would be looking at a Browning A or X bolt in .338WM for about the same price. But, I'm partial to that brand and cartridge in a PG rifle. If you must travel down your current Savage build path, I would go with the .35 Whelen as dies will be easier to find by a long shot. And, you'll make Bob a very happy nimrod. Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Grasshopper no matter what decisions he makes I will be happy for him. The Savage rebarreling may end up the same cost as the Browning but in the end he will have a switch barrel, you know TWO calibers instead ot one.
Bob

200 gr woodleigh from buff cow in previous post, finishing shot offside shoulder Designed for 338-06.
8l54ur.jpg
pdS9SW.jpg

185 GMX from boar previous post, my all round load.
R1o2Xg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While the 338-06 intrigues me.. for me, the .35 Whelen is the clear winner..

It will take anything on the NA continent with ease to include the biggest of bears.. It will take anything in Africa shy of DG (and can do that too.. it just isnt legal in some places)..

and it has the benefit of numerous factory loadings with quality bullets such as Barnes Vor-TX, etc..

If 338-06 had factory loadings, and was as common as the .35 Whelen, I might give it more consideration.. .but, since it doesnt, for me .35 Whelen is the choice..

I've personally witnessed it take everything from impala to eland with devastating authority.. And enjoyed watching it work so well on our trip to South Africa (just returned last night), that Im now considering converting a .30-06 I have to .35 Whelen so that we can have 2 of them in the safe..

I have to admit, I was thinking about a .338-06 for a long minute there. But I have come to my senses, and am sticking to the 35 Whelen.
To me, the .338-06 has 2 detrimental factors that I needed to hear about:
# 1 - It runs at a much higher pressure to get it to be almost equal to the .35 Whelen.
# 2 - The majority of bullets for the .338 caliber are more stoutly made than any .358 cal rifle bullet, because of all of the whiz-bang magnums.

I don’t want a bullet acting like a full metal jacket bullet when I’m out hunting. I want it to expand, and dump its energy into the game I’m going after.

I know that the Woodleigh bullets are excellent bullets. The only problem with them here is that they cost an arm and a leg to get. If I would get them regularly, then I need to be independently wealthy to do so.

But, I see better things with a 35 Whelen than I do with a .338-06.

To those that use the .338-06, I say to to you, Congratulations!
But it’s not for me.
I will stick with the .35 Whelen!

Hawk

@ BobNelson35Whelen

What make of barrel do you have on your rifle?

I’m going to get the ER Shaw Stainless one that they sell here as a barrel change kit.
I believe it should serve me well.

Hawk

The 35 Whelen is really a 350 Rigby - and I challenge anyone to find a negative comment about the 350 - I never have.

on the other hand, the 338-06 is basically a 318 Westley Richards (ok, .008 larger). Again, I challenge anyone to find negative comments on the 318 WR - I never have either. Harry Selby told me the most penetration he had ever seen from a cartridge was a frontal shot on a black rhino with the 318.

point here…there is no wrong answer between these two cartridges.

@IvW
That so called budget action is the same action that Savage uses on all its rifles and has done so since 1958.
If it is such a cheap nasty budget actin why do Savage build the record breaking F class rifles on the same action
A 4.5 inch group at 1,000 yards using the cheap action Savage F class rifle isn't to shabby and that's a bog stock factory rifle.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Savage action apart from being a bit like me, ugly.
My Whelen is built on the so called even cheaper Stevens 200 aka Savage 110 and groups a lot less than an inch at 100 yards no matter what I throw down the barrel.
Bob

View attachment 414807
My Stevens 200/ Savage 110 looks fine to me and shoot little groups.
Cool so you have a super accurate rifle on a budget action....

Cool so you have a super accurate rifle on a budget action....
@IvW
The most accurate load is the old 250gr Hornady round nose at 2,680fps. Three shots making a hole just on 0.4 inches at 100 yards.
My son was spotting for me, after the second shot he said I think you missed dad fire another one. After the next shot all he said was you just made the hole bigger.
Bob

While the 338-06 intrigues me.. for me, the .35 Whelen is the clear winner..

It will take anything on the NA continent with ease to include the biggest of bears.. It will take anything in Africa shy of DG (and can do that too.. it just isnt legal in some places)..

and it has the benefit of numerous factory loadings with quality bullets such as Barnes Vor-TX, etc..

If 338-06 had factory loadings, and was as common as the .35 Whelen, I might give it more consideration.. .but, since it doesnt, for me .35 Whelen is the choice..

I've personally witnessed it take everything from impala to eland with devastating authority.. And enjoyed watching it work so well on our trip to South Africa (just returned last night), that Im now considering converting a .30-06 I have to .35 Whelen so that we can have 2 of them in the safe..
@mdwest
Have you finished your trip write up and where can I read it. I was following it but can't find it now.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,