hawkeyesatx

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
I’m having a serious conundrum going on.

I have my project Savage 111, but I have been pricing aftermarket switch barrels.
The .35 Whelen barrel, a 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist = $239
I found a .338-06 barrel, 24 inch, 1-10 inch twist = $206

I know, that both are pretty much equal when it comes to performance.

So what do you guys have to say?

I already know what Bob is going to say- that’s a given. LOL

Hawk

Go with your gut on this one.

As I said in another thread on a similar topic, there is so little difference between them (and 9.3x62) as to make no real difference at all. It only comes down to a matter of taste.

Are .338 bullets not easier to get than .358 ?

My local shop lists 22x option in .338 and 3x in .358.

Yes, .338 bullets are a lot easier to get than .358 ones.

Also, the .338 bullets have better BC and SD.

But, all in all, the cartridges are pretty much equal.

Hawk

Go with your gut on this one.

As I said in another thread on a similar topic, there is so little difference between them (and 9.3x62) as to make no real difference at all. It only comes down to a matter of taste.

The only difference between the two, is the barrel rate of twist.

I’m leaning towards a faster rate of twist in the .338-06 because it will be able to handle the heavy .338 bullets better than the 1 in 14 twist of the .35 Whelen.

So for that reason, I am leaning right now towards a .338-06 barrel.

Hawk

The only difference between the two, is the barrel rate of twist.

I’m leaning towards a faster rate of twist in the .338-06 because it will be able to handle the heavy .338 bullets better than the 1 in 14 twist of the .35 Whelen.

So for that reason, I am leaning right now towards a .338-06 barrel.

Hawk
a 14 twist will stabilize even a 250 gr 358 bullet

14 will also stabilize Woodleigh 310 gr RNSN

I’m curious…..

What makes new Savage 111 actions cheap?

Hawk

It is a budget rifle....you want to use something to build a custom rifle of sorts at least start with a decent base...the actiin is the hart of a rifle...
Of course each can do as they please but personally I would not buy or build anything on a entry level action....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.02 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.03 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.05 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 2.42.09 PM.png
    486.5 KB · Views: 158

It is a budget rifle....you want to use something to build a custom rifle of sorts at least start with a decent base...the actiin is the hart of a rifle...
Of course each can do as they please but personally I would not buy or build anything on a entry level action....

I can honestly say that my 111 has an accutrigger, and a blind magazine. Mine has the accustock, too.
So it’s not the cheapest Savage 111 out there.
IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

Hawk

Oooo!
The reason I went after the Savage 111 is because I can switch the barrel myself, instead of waiting for a gunsmith, who might have it back in 3 months, if I’m lucky.
And, if I wanted a rebore, that will have to be sent off, and wait 2 weeks.
I will probably send off one of my other rifles to have it rebored/rechambered to the opposite of what I choose for the Savage 111.

Hawk

Having the same discussion with myself for a while now, 338-06 may win out. But I prefer shorter barrels so how much velocity am I willing to loose is now the question. I'm thinking 21.5" barrel, so I'm going to get as many cross references and barrel lengths as I can on velocities. Deduct 1% per inch to see what I may wind up. I have found this to be accurate to a point, eventually you will have diminished returns. John

Having the same discussion with myself for a while now, 338-06 may win out. But I prefer shorter barrels so how much velocity am I willing to loose is now the question. I'm thinking 21.5" barrel, so I'm going to get as many cross references and barrel lengths as I can on velocities. Deduct 1% per inch to see what I may wind up. I have found this to be accurate to a point, eventually you will have diminished returns. John
I wouldn't worry about the velocity loss. Nothing you shoot with it inside about 300 yards will ever know the difference.

I wouldn't worry about the velocity loss. Nothing you shoot with it inside about 300 yards will ever know the difference.
Good point. The furthest animal I have seen taken was my son's antelope at 349 yards from a 16.25" 308 Win. Muzzle velocity at 10' was 2700 fps. Nothing spectacular just saw a slight flinch on impact, but down he went. 2750 fps is where 250 gr bullets exit my 21.25" 338 RUM. I'm quite happy with this barrel length.

I don't think you will go wrong with either caliber. I have always been intrigued with the .338-06, but now that I have a 9.3x62 it would be a pointless addition.

I personally like the 338/06 as it can do it all with proper bullets from 160gr up & I get unreal velocity out of my Weatherby UL, I even have two more barrels lol .

I also have a 9.3X62 or two, three & very much like this cartridge to, to me it depends on what size & type of game you are hunting most & where. internationally I prefer the 9.3X62 as ammo is available in most areas .

We presume you reload as if you don't it is the .35 Whelen of those two & if traveling to hunt bigger game I think it would be the 9.3X62 ?

I'm doing the exact same switch right down to the Savage 111. I went with the .338-06. I disagree that it is a budget rifle even if I picked it up dirt cheap. The only reason I got for about $200 was the auction site listed it as a Savage 3 and no one bid on it.

I do plan to install a new recoil lug on it.

The advantage to doing it in .35 Whelen is that you could shoot .357-.358 pistol bullets with a reduced load for training.

You might want to check out the SavageShooters.com forum for info on making the switch. I know there are also a lot of good YouTube videos on replacing a Savage barrel or even making it a switch-barrel rifle.

My rule of thumb is "If you can't buy factory ammo for it don't buy the rifle". The 35 Whelen gets my vote and besides it's my go to hunting cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg