.308 Interbond for Plains Game?

MerKuryM8

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
I am just starting with handloading and am deciding on the bullet, before I jump in. The Hornady InterBond (165gr or 180gr) seem like the best "bang for buck", but I can't seem to find any recent reports on it's performance.
This will be in a .308 Win, used primarily on Warthogs and Gemsbok within 200m (eventually 300m, but I'm still learning) on our farm for meat. I don't really worry about quartering shots, as I don't take them - I live on the farm, so I have plenty of time to come back and try another day. Occasionally, there might be an opportunity on a Hartebeest, Kudu or an Eland.
I have considered Nosler Partition or AccuBond, but they are quite a bit more expensive, in fact out of my current budget. As far as I have read, the InterBond's have very similar performance to AccuBonds, though their BC isn't as high, but that isn't a problem within 300m. Unfortunately, more premium bullets like Barnes aren't in the picture at all.

So, what are your experiences using the Hornady InterBond in .308? Will they be enough on broadside shots on Gemsbok at ~250m?

I used Interbonds in a 6.5 Creedmoor on a hartebeest at reasonably close range and it blew right through both front shoulders. Used that on several other species as well including wart hog. I see no reason they should not suffice in a 308 even up to eland at reasonable range and with good shot placement.. Just don't get the idea that Interlock are as good;)

As you seem very aware, you do not need to worry overly much about aerodynamics and such under 300 meters. You do need to worry about fragile bullets exploding on contact and failing to penetrate at close range or high velocity. The interbond should suffice in your described intended use.

I used Interbonds in a 6.5 Creedmoor on a hartebeest at reasonably close range and it blew right through both front shoulders. Used that on several other species as well including wart hog. I see no reason they should not suffice in a 308 even up to eland at reasonable range and with good shot placement.. Just don't get the idea that Interlock are as good;)

As you seem very aware, you do not need to worry overly much about aerodynamics and such under 300 meters. You do need to worry about fragile bullets exploding on contact and failing to penetrate at close range or high velocity. The interbond should suffice in your described intended use.
I'm currently using InterLock Custom International factory ammo. Had good luck on a young Gemsbok Bull, leaving an inch wide hole through it's heart, making it flip onto it's back, though I feel I got a bit lucky on that one.

You say I need to worry about Fragile bullets exploding on impact at close range/high velocity - is that about the InterBond?
What would High Velocity be considered in this case? With 165gr I'll probably get around 2700fps and with 180Gr around 2600fps at the muzzle.

I’d first buy 1 box of each bullet weight and try them. I own 5 or 6 .308 hunting rifles, most of my guns do not do well with the 180gn bullets as they don’t have very tight twists in the rifling. For me the decision would be to shoot 165gn for accuracy.

See what works for you.

I believe you will find either bullet will work for the game animals you have mentioned, shot placement and accuracy will remain important.

I’d first buy 1 box of each bullet weight and try them. I own 5 or 6 .308 hunting rifles, most of my guns do not do well with the 180gn bullets as they don’t have very tight twists in the rifling. For me the decision would be to shoot 165gn for accuracy.

See what works for you.

I believe you will find either bullet will work for the game animals you have mentioned, shot placement and accuracy will remain important.
Mentioning accuracy, I've read that the InterBonds seem to be finicky, getting them to group well? I'm not really too bothered about getting the tightest group possible. If it's 1.5 MOA or better, it will be good enough for now.

I'm currently using InterLock Custom International factory ammo. Had good luck on a young Gemsbok Bull, leaving an inch wide hole through it's heart, making it flip onto it's back, though I feel I got a bit lucky on that one.

You say I need to worry about Fragile bullets exploding on impact at close range/high velocity - is that about the InterBond?
What would High Velocity be considered in this case? With 165gr I'll probably get around 2700fps and with 180Gr around 2600fps at the muzzle.
No I don't think the interbond is too fragile. I think it will work ok in your 308. As mentioned earlier. Perhaps use a better bullet such as A Frame or TSX in a magnum..

I've had those FTX lever gun bullets blow up a shoulder and damage only 1 lung on a whitetail at 75 feet. I would consider FTX, A Max, Interlock, etc too fragile also. There are many reports of the old DGX blowing up at close range and I believe they are basicly Interlock bullets. Not the have DGX bonded which are suspect are pretty much a larger caliber Interbond.

My experience with Interbond on African game is that they mushroom nicely and at close range they loose a fair amount of weight but do hold together and retain enough to do the job.

No I don't think the interbond is too fragile. I think it will work ok in your 308. As mentioned earlier. Perhaps use a better bullet such as A Frame or TSX in a magnum..

I've had those FTX lever gun bullets blow up a shoulder and damage only 1 lung on a whitetail at 75 feet. I would consider FTX, A Max, Interlock, etc too fragile also. There are many reports of the old DGX blowing up at close range and I believe they are basicly Interlock bullets. Not the have DGX bonded which are suspect are pretty much a larger caliber Interbond.

My experience with Interbond on African game is that they mushroom nicely and at close range they loose a fair amount of weight but do hold together and retain enough to do the job.
Cool. Thank you Bob, this gives me lot's of confidence!

I am just starting with handloading and am deciding on the bullet, before I jump in. The Hornady InterBond (165gr or 180gr) seem like the best "bang for buck", but I can't seem to find any recent reports on it's performance.
This will be in a .308 Win, used primarily on Warthogs and Gemsbok within 200m (eventually 300m, but I'm still learning) on our farm for meat. I don't really worry about quartering shots, as I don't take them - I live on the farm, so I have plenty of time to come back and try another day. Occasionally, there might be an opportunity on a Hartebeest, Kudu or an Eland.
I have considered Nosler Partition or AccuBond, but they are quite a bit more expensive, in fact out of my current budget. As far as I have read, the InterBond's have very similar performance to AccuBonds, though their BC isn't as high, but that isn't a problem within 300m. Unfortunately, more premium bullets like Barnes aren't in the picture at all.

So, what are your experiences using the Hornady InterBond in .308? Will they be enough on broadside shots on Gemsbok at ~250m?
@MerKuryM8
My son used accubonds for Namibia but for every day hunting for pigs goats and deer he uses the good old 150gn Hornady SST or Interlock. They are a good general purpose bullet and for the type of shooting you want to do they would be fine. I load them at around 2,850fps and don't have any problems. There are naysayers that say they don't work but believe me they do.
20211117_163416.jpg
20211117_164807.jpg

Photo is a 150gn Hornady SST taken from the offside of a 70 odd kilo boar at around 70 to 80 yards.
Bullet lodged in the gristle pad.
It is the only SST I have recovered to date, all the rest have been total penetration with a good size exit wound
Bob

@MerKuryM8
My son used accubonds for Namibia but for every day hunting for pigs goats and deer he uses the good old 150gn Hornady SST or Interlock. They are a good general purpose bullet and for the type of shooting you want to do they would be fine. I load them at around 2,850fps and don't have any problems. There are naysayers that say they don't work but believe me they do.
View attachment 461926View attachment 461927
Photo is a 150gn Hornady SST taken from the offside of a 70 odd kilo boar at around 70 to 80 yards.
It is the only SST I have recovered to date, all the rest have been total penetration with a good size exit wound
Bob
Forgot to say retained weight was 117grain, so about 75% weight retention.

If budget is the main concern then you have to do what you have to do. I’d say they are cheaper for a reason And not my first choice, or fourth.

I'
@MerKuryM8
View attachment 461926View attachment 461927
Bob
I've tried the 150gr SST on Gemsbok, but on the first the shot was a bit too low - further than I thought it was. The shot entered just below the heart and barely clipped the bottom of it. It ran a fair amount and we only recovered it the next day (due to rain soaking us to the core) 400m from where I shot it. The second one was a frontal neck shot (approximately 60m) and it got wedged into the Spine and the core separated. I was able to recover the copper, which was very flat, but not the lead.
I've also had a good result with the 180gr InterLock, which I am currently using (in factory ammo). Tore a 1" hole through a Gemsbok's heart. Hopefully will be able to add to that experience this weekend.

Is there a major benefit going 165gr InterBond over the 165gr SST? I only used the SST's and InterLocks on those two, so I don't really know them very well. I just assumed the InterBond would give me a decent amount more 'punch', due to better design. I'm still learning to place the shot properly in the field, so I'd like as much leeway as I can get.

This was the SST pulled from the Neck shot. Do you think there is a chance the jacket and core would separate on a Gemsbok, hitting Lung/heart?

20220218_171207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'

I've tried the 150gr SST on Gemsbok, but on the first the shot was a bit too low - further than I thought it was. The shot entered just below the heart and barely clipped the bottom of it. It ran a fair amount and we only recovered it the next day (due to rain soaking us to the core) 400m from where I shot it. The second one was a frontal neck shot (approximately 60m) and it got wedged into the Spine and the core separated. I was able to recover the copper, which was very flat, but not the lead.
I've also had a good result with the 180gr InterLock, which I am currently using (in factory ammo). Tore a 1" hole through a Gemsbok's heart. Hopefully will be able to add to that experience this weekend.

Is there a major benefit going 165gr InterBond over the 165gr SST? I only used the SST's and InterLocks on those two, so I don't really know them very well. I just assumed the InterBond would give me a decent amount more 'punch', due to better design. I'm still learning to place the shot properly in the field, so I'd like as much leeway as I can get.
@MerKuryM8
They are exactly the same design on the outside, it is just that the interbond is bonded the other 2 are Interlock design.
With a shot to the spine I would expect the SST or Interlock to come apart. The SST and Interlock are a cheaper non bonded version but still great bullets.
Bob

Our 1st trip to Namibia was when Obama was president. All I could find was 165sst superformance ammo for my 30-06 that would shoot decent. I harvested oryx, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, warthog, all animals died with one shot. Heart lung area was jello. None of the bullets stayed together. They did their job but next trip I took Barnes. I would go for the interbond

This was the SST pulled from the Neck shot. Do you think there is a chance the jacket and core would separate on a Gemsbok, hitting Lung/heart?
@MerKuryM8
That's what I would expect from hitting the neck or a solid bone like the femur. What condition was the neck in after the hit and did it kill the animal.
On a side on shot to the heart lung area I con see no reason for it not to work unless as I said you hit the femur or ball joint in the shoulder.

@MerKuryM8
That's what I would expect from hitting the neck or a solid bone like the femur. What condition was the neck in after the hit and did it kill the animal.
On a side on shot to the heart lung area I con see no reason for it not to work unless as I said you hit the femur or ball joint in the shoulder.
That 150gr SST was also travelling (Hornady Claims, not actually tested) 3000fps at the muzzle, so at 60m it makes sense to flatten it!
It dropped like a sack of potatoes. The lower neck was 'ruined', but still in tact, down to an inch or so before the back straps (fillets on the spine/ribs) begin.

The bullet was found next to the spine, just a bit past the Base of the neck, if memory serves.

Our 1st trip to Namibia was when Obama was president. All I could find was 165sst superformance ammo for my 30-06 that would shoot decent. I harvested oryx, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, warthog, all animals died with one shot. Heart lung area was jello. None of the bullets stayed together. They did their job but next trip I took Barnes. I would go for the interbond
That sounds like it performed well for you. I'm beginning to consider the SSTs now..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.