303 for Eland and other large non dangerous game

.303 is one of the classic African cartridges and, I'd wager, one of the top-5 game-getters in the history of the Dark Continent, especially in the golden age of safaris. Bell even used it extensively on elephant. In my own small way, I will become part of the .303 safari fraternity next month, courtesy of an exquisite 1896 Watson Brothers Martini that a member of AH was gracious enough to sell me earlier this year. The rifle is a tack driver and I have no qualms using it with open sights out to 150 yards or so.

I just wish that more suppliers would offer *THE* bullet that made the .303's reputation as a surefire killer: the 215-grainer, which now only Hawk here in the US and the semi-defunct (and hopefully soon-to-resuscitate) Woodleigh manufacture. I'm sure the 180s traveling at about 2,300 fps will kill any plains game I shoot, but that long, parallel-sided, high-sectional-density 215-grainer would give me almost magical confidence.

Going forward in this seemingly-endless time of components shortage, there are two calibers for which I'll literally hoard: the .375 H&H Flanged and the .303. It's a hard choice for someone who owns several other rifles in fantastic chamberings, but these two stand out as possessing everything I'll ever look for: pairing with a gorgeous classic rifle, killing power, nostalgia and the pleasure of standing out from the crowd.
@Tom Leoni
Another bullet that works extremely well in the 303 British is the 150gn Barnes TSX started out at between 26 and 2,700 fps. Unreal performance and accuracy. I don't know if Barnes still makes them but if you want I have 50 odd left if you are interested.
Bob

Thank you, Bob! It appears that it's still in the Barnes catalog and that online retailers like Midway carry it... only, like 99% of good stuff out there it's on backorder!

1652652490164.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.