300 WSM Tikka versus Savage!

@Flewis
I tried tikka but with my gorilla lenght arms it fits me like a g string on an elephant. The Savage one the other hand fits me like a custom rifle.
Bob

Sorry Bob I didn’t realize you were half gorilla
Lol

You know, I looked at a Howa with a "carbon wrapped" barrel. Supposedly, it ads rigidity to the barrel, but it was heavier than a standard barrel. What's the point of that for a hunting rifle? I can see a carbon stock which greatly reduces the weight of the rifle, but a carbon wrapped barrel?

My .280a.i. has an IBI 26" Carbon Wrapped barrel

More like a Varmint profile but probably weighs in like a standard barrel.

It's a nice fit for the barrel channel in my Precision Defence industries stock (Bolly Aviation)

The stock is maybe the lightest on the market.

I did it because everything aligned and I got good deals on all components.

When o was hunting last year my mates goes what's it like lugging that around in the bush? It looks bulky.

This happened just as I handed it to h as we were climbing through a fence. He was quite surprised by the overall weight, It's notably lighter than my other Tikkas by almost 2 pounds.

While Factory Tikka super light barrel would have been lighter the Carbon Fibre barrel is accurate with all the weight in the forend it feels to be steady off hand.

Image of Fallow deer taken on my first trip with @Badboymelvin
IMG_20220419_171531.jpg

Yes, Savage, even Stevens, Howa or Tikka. Even Mossbergs and Ruger Americans. They are ALL fine rifles at their price points. We're at the point where these economy brands of yore have really become top notch rifles for the price due to CNC machining and stock availabilities. Sure, they're not CZs, Winchesters or Brownings with walnut stocks, but for a non DG hunting rifle, they are and will continue to be hard to beat at their price points.
@CoElkHunter
Savage have always made accurate rifles. The 110 with the brewer headspace system allows for closer headspacing even by an amateur. With the floating bolt head the locking lugs bear evenly. All this contributes to improved accuracy.
I have not seen a Savage/ Stevens that isn't accurate.
They aren't pretty but accuracy trumps beauty in my book.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Savage have always made accurate rifles. The 110 with the brewer headspace system allows for closer headspacing even by an amateur. With the floating bolt head the locking lugs bear evenly. All this contributes to improved accuracy.
I have not seen a Savage/ Stevens that isn't accurate.
They aren't pretty but accuracy trumps beauty in my book.
Bob
Well Bob @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I bought a SAVAGE 110 in .308 Weenchester. It's Savage's VSP model with a camo stock (not crazy about that), and has a heavy fluted and threaded 20" barrel and the barrel and action are Savage's matte stainless steel cerakote finish. Also has an oversized bolt knob. Came with a Vortex 4x12x40 Diamondback scope. A very knowledgeable guy (he has several Nightforce scopes and is a big coyote hunter) at Bass Pro where I bought it, took the scope off and zeroed the rail and remounted it and the rings (with blue locktite) and bore sighted the scope. He told me the scope and Vortex's Hunter rings were fine for my purposes. It's not as light as I was looking for (8.2lbs) but they were all out of Tikkas. I had a couple of gift cards towards the purchase and they gave me 10% off for a minor scratch on the scope as it was the only one they had (floor model). I'll take it out tomorrow or Thursday at the range and check it out. I have factory 180gr Norma Oryx and 168gr Barnes TTSX cartridges. I'll shoot the Norma's first as "fouling" rounds before shooting the Barnes through it. That's it for now.

Well Bob @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, I bought a SAVAGE 110 in .308 Weenchester. It's Savage's VSP model with a camo stock (not crazy about that), and has a heavy fluted and threaded 20" barrel and the barrel and action are Savage's matte stainless steel cerakote finish. Also has an oversized bolt knob. Came with a Vortex 4x12x40 Diamondback scope. A very knowledgeable guy (he has several Nightforce scopes and is a big coyote hunter) at Bass Pro where I bought it, took the scope off and zeroed the rail and remounted it and the rings (with blue locktite) and bore sighted the scope. He told me the scope and Vortex's Hunter rings were fine for my purposes. It's not as light as I was looking for (8.2lbs) but they were all out of Tikkas. I had a couple of gift cards towards the purchase and they gave me 10% off for a minor scratch on the scope as it was the only one they had (floor model). I'll take it out tomorrow or Thursday at the range and check it out. I have factory 180gr Norma Oryx and 168gr Barnes TTSX cartridges. I'll shoot the Norma's first as "fouling" rounds before shooting the Barnes through it. That's it for now.
@CoElkHunter
Mate try 150gn accubonds 50gn of CFE223 for 2,900fps and 0.3 inch groups . That's out of my son's howa 308.
As usual this load was safe in my rifle. Work up from 3 grains below.
Good choice of rifle you won't be disappointed.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois