karibu

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
onis safaris
Hunted
zimbabwe, tanzania, sudafrica, namibia, mozambique, Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Argentina, Finland, Etc
I had shoot 2 elands but all of the with a 416 rig, now I want to try with a 300 wm, I think is a right choice, but many people think, minimun caliber for this big animals are 375. As I had read in this forum, many was hunted with smaller calibers. But the cuestion is: do you think is a good choise or you fill better with something bigger, or different bullet??

I've no experience with Eland, but if I was going with that caliber for those big guys I'd go at least with the 200gr version. There is also a 220gr NP that can still loaded to 2700fps per my Nosler reloading manual.

Juan,

It looks like you have more experience hunting Africa than most of us here. I have only shot one Eland and that was with a 9.3x62. I think the .300 magnum and a premium 180 would be a perfect combination. As we know, shot placement is everything.

I doubt there is a caliber restriction on eland anywhere that would mandate the .375 but there may well be an energy minimum as there is in Zimbabwe. So depending on where you plan to hunt next your PH can steer you right.

Hi Code4 How many grains did you use with your 9,3x62? Eland is in my list for this August and I will carry a 9,3x62 too. I am thinking of a Norma Oryx 285 gr o 250 gr Swift A frame, this last one thinking in other smaller, althogh big as well, animals in my list.

This round seems mighty popular all of a sudden! I used one in Namibia and also taking it to Zim this June, for eland too. I am going to use the Barnes 250 TripleShok at just over 2500 fps.

9,3x62 is quite common here in Spain. I think that finally I will use 250 Swift A Frame, is impossible to get Barnes TSX here for this caliber.

I think your choice of 300 Win Mag and 180 grain bullets that are Nosler Partition is a very, very good one. Yes, someone could go with a 338 Win or bigger, but a 300 Win Mag will take a Eland down very fast. I shot one and it dropped instantly with a 300 Win Mag.

Have not used the Swift but by most accounts its a fine bullet, every bit as good as any premium bullet. I have only taken one eland, a big cow in Zim. One shot from my .375 using 300 gr Nosler Partitions did the job quickly. Many eland have been taken with '06 class rounds quite nicely but again your PH can let you know the minimum required if any per the country.

nsok,

I used the Woodleigh 286 PPSN at 40 metres. Next time I will use a RNSP design even that close. I think it will expand quicker and provide more 'thump'.

I will be hunting camels in July in the Simpson Desert and will use the 250 Nosler Accubond as shots may be long. 200 metres+. I will also be hunting feral cattle Bulls in far north Queensland in November and will use the 286 RNSP then. I will post the results here in hunt reports.

The only option in 286 gr that I have here in Spain is Norma Oryx and RWS, after summer a Norma swift A Frame in 286 gr will be ready but is too late for my hunting in August. Norma Oryx is a good bullet, is the one I have used in 300WM the last two huntings in Africa and worked just fine but for Eland I prefer something harder, although it has less grains, so, as I said I think it will be Swift A frame 250gr.

Many thanks to all, I realy like to use my 375 hh power shook 270 grs, works perfect and I feel confortable. But las year in Namibia I try to hunt a black face impala, I spend five days and we have many choises but the big one I like to shoot ,we always find faar away, so I think is gone a be a long shoot for that trophy, rader than take two rifles, 270 wsm for small game and 375 for eland, I deside to take a 300 wm which is a medium caliber and work perfect in long shoots and can be a good choise for eland.
four years ago we spend 12 days hunting in sudafrica, impala, wardogs, kudus, black wildbeast, springbuck, etc...., I take 32 trophys all of them with the 270 wsm, no problem at all, only one bunded but finaly faund in a cave. I realy love that caliber but sims to be too small for an eland bull.
We go to Namibia in may, but I go to take care of a group basicaly and If every thing is ok I´ll tray eland, black face impala and if we are very lucky cheetah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!