300 H&H magnum

wasser

AH member
Reaction score
Hi
Has any one loaded for this caliber in 200 gr Barnes TSX FB. I am looking for a safe load around 2600 ft/sec
batch no: 30356. I have been using 58 gr of S 365 and the best i can get is around 2400 ft/sec. I am thinking of using the S 355 but this powder is not recommended. I will appreciate any info i can find, specially the foreign powders as i am from RSA.
Thanks Wasser

That load should yield over 2600Fps...what primer are you using? What rifle is it and you may want to check the barrel.
How sure are you your crhronograph is correct?
That is the max load for that combination and is also at max pressure....

Have you tried other 200 gr bullets?

You could try S385 but should follow the correct procedures, or give Cassie Casselman a call,

How long is the barrel? Could it be that the barrel isn’t burning all the powder? (To short of a barrel, or too slow burning of a powder?)

Have you thrown pin gauges down the barrel to ensure that the bore isn’t oversized and you’re losing velocity/pressure by gas blow buy? Copper being harder (Or at least less malleable) than lead may not be expanding enough in the barrel to seal the gasses in your particular barrel.

Hi
Has any one loaded for this caliber in 200 gr Barnes TSX FB. I am looking for a safe load around 2600 ft/sec
batch no: 30356. I have been using 58 gr of S 365 and the best i can get is around 2400 ft/sec. I am thinking of using the S 355 but this powder is not recommended. I will appreciate any info i can find, specially the foreign powders as i am from RSA.
Thanks Wasser

Hi Chaps
Tx Azdave i do have that loading info on Barnes but i don t have those powders only Somchem need to get the correct Vihtavuori type to suit
my need.

lvw my 300 H&h was build by Sabi rifles Eugene Combrink i think about 20 years ago it has a walther bull barrel 24" long and a 10-1 twist
correct for barnes bullets. I have 2 chronys will put them both up next time and see. I have tried Swift, Sierra and Hornady's long ago in 200gr
They just don't group like the TSX FB .

Rookhawk I dont think there is anything wrong with my barrel i think it is powder.

I went this afternoon and shot through 1 chrony only 2 shots S355 load 56gr flew 2758 & 2743 ft/sec 2 shots S 365 load 60gr 2498 and 2503 and then
S385 loaded 64gr flew 2347 and 2357

The thing is i don't know what my pressure is on that S355. I have used it many times in other calibers like 458 and 450 rigby also 243 win and it work well very well. There is no flattening on the primer or shell no cracks. no excessive kick. Question is should i stick to S355 or equivalent??

Copper versus lead. Your 200gr Barnes multiplied by 1.27 gives you the relative volume of a lead bullet of identical size.

Perhaps your rifle would equally dislike 254gr lead bullets as 200gr copper bullets?

put simply, that’s a huge bullet. How about trying a small bullet, 180gr or 200gr jacketed lead bullet to see if that’s your issue?

I had favorable results with 180gr and 200gr Nosler accubonds out of a 300HH.

if that test shows good results, try a lighter Barnes bullet.

Hi
Thanks Wasser
Hi Wasser,

I have used these exact bullets in my 300 H&H with S385. I use(d) lot 12 and got excellent grouping at 62.5gr and an MV of 2688ft/s, which I calculate is pretty much bang on the node.
I haven't used them much - shot a kudu bull in thick bush near Tsipise with it a few years ago. Bullet was a pass through (and passed through a 6" mopane tree behind the kudu!)

[As always, this load data is used at your risk and my data does not guarantee a safe load in your set-up!]

If I model your 58gr of S365 load using my data for my gun, I get an estimated MV of 2649ft/s. So at 2400, something doesn't look right. S365 is notoriously variable between the different lots, so you may have a bad batch. S365 generally works pretty well in the H&H, so with some tweaking your load can probably be sorted - I don't think S355 is the solution.

All your velocities with the different powders look very low - I would validate your chrony accuracy if possible. Something seems out of whack. How are you weighing your loads?

Feel free to PM me if I can assist more.

Something is not right...

Rifle by Sabi should be fine...especially with the walther barrel

Either your powder scale is out or you crony is wrong....

S355 is not the answer

Hi Chaps
Tx Azdave i do have that loading info on Barnes but i don t have those powders only Somchem need to get the correct Vihtavuori type to suit
my need.

lvw my 300 H&h was build by Sabi rifles Eugene Combrink i think about 20 years ago it has a walther bull barrel 24" long and a 10-1 twist
correct for barnes bullets. I have 2 chronys will put them both up next time and see. I have tried Swift, Sierra and Hornady's long ago in 200gr
They just don't group like the TSX FB .

Rookhawk I dont think there is anything wrong with my barrel i think it is powder.

I went this afternoon and shot through 1 chrony only 2 shots S355 load 56gr flew 2758 & 2743 ft/sec 2 shots S 365 load 60gr 2498 and 2503 and then
S385 loaded 64gr flew 2347 and 2357

The thing is i don't know what my pressure is on that S355. I have used it many times in other calibers like 458 and 450 rigby also 243 win and it work well very well. There is no flattening on the primer or shell no cracks. no excessive kick. Question is should i stick to S355 or equivalent??

Thank you all i will start with the crony and stick to my old loads for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois