30 caliber swift a frame bullet performance

See post 563 for pics of my 3 revovered 180 gr A-Frames at 2,750 MV from a 30-06. Performance was excellent overall on nine animals taken, but I suspect they would be less than ideal on lighter weight animals like whitail deer.

On a double lung shot on an Impala it zipped right through with little damage, and the ram ran ~ 100 yards. For this reason I suspect the 165s would be a better choice for whitetail deer and plenty for elk as well.

I am looking for big game round ie a round that can handle elk moose bear large hogs as well as deer(would aim to hit shoulder not behind it when using a tougher bullet on deer) I have it down to the a frames or tbt rounds or the 180 partition or 168 ttsx (likely they would all work) might try a few and go with whatever factory ammo shoots most accurate. Still I like to learn from those that have been there and done that, experience is a good teacher

The 165gr A-Frames work quite well. Never felt the need for 180gr in my 308win or 30-06. I also use the 165gr A-Frames in my 300win mag but the 180gr ones would also work.
All I shoot in my 338win mag is 225gr A-Frames and also use 120gr A-Frames in my 257R (my daughter too a number of PG in Africa with the 257R) as well as my 25-06 and 257W.

For me it is the best bullet. I also have used Barnes TTSX and LRX but really prefer the Swift bullets

I am looking hard at the 165 weight shoots flatter and might be more versatile on lighter game like whitetail deer. Federal loads 165 and 180 tbt in the 308, considering the tbt bullets as well

I am looking for big game round ie a round that can handle elk moose bear large hogs as well as deer(would aim to hit shoulder not behind it when using a tougher bullet on deer) I have it down to the a frames or tbt rounds or the 180 partition or 168 ttsx (likely they would all work) might try a few and go with whatever factory ammo shoots most accurate. Still I like to learn from those that have been there and done that, experience is a good teacher
I recently became interested in the 308 Winchester and re-interested in the 30-06. I have not had the opportunity to experiment with different loads yet. I do have some older and newer rifles in both. A couple of my older rifles are 1-12” twist rates. The slower twists will most likely dictate the bullet for them.
The 1-10” twist rifles, the 168 grain TTSX is my first choice to try. I also have the TTSX in 165 and 150 grain weights to try. I think the 168 TTSX would be good as a one bullet choice. If it groups satisfactory in the rifle.

The various types of factory loaded Tipped Trophy Bonded bullets seem to be an outstanding choice also. Perhaps the best do-all.

We shot this eland bull yesterday. The hunter used my 30-06 with 180gr A Frames at 2850fps. Perfect shot at roughly 200 yards resting over a dry branch. Both shoulders broken, top of the heart, bullet found under the skin on opposite side. This performance is predictable from these bullets.
IMG-20211211-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20211211-WA0029.jpg

All that you mentioned will work very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg