30 caliber swift a frame bullet performance

Rocco490

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone with field experience using 30 caliber Swift A Frame bullets in 165 180 or 200 grain how did they do and what game were they used on? I am looking at the Swift Ammunition 165 A Frame 308 win load but was expecting a 180 grain. Wish they loaded the 180 in the 308 like they do with the 30 06 and 300 win mag and weatherby, I have heard great things about the 180 grain A Frames in the 30 calibers. Anyone used the lighter 165 A Frames in the 30 calibers? Too light or will the bullet design make up for the lack of weight and sd? Looking for a deep penetrating and wide wounding bullet that if needed can handle raking shots on whitetail deer, and big hogs, and for a good bear and elk/moose bullet. Would the 165 handle this or is the 180 needed?

Hello Rocco. Seems strange Swift doesn't load the 180 in .308 Win. That said , if I couldn't get the 180 I'd still go with the 165 with little reservations. Unlike the Nosler Partition the front core on the A-Frame is bonded to the jacket. You'll still get a good wound channel and deep penetration. I've used the 165 on very large pigs which are tougher than an old boot. Haven't lost one as yet with proper shot placement. I'd use it on most plains game, but I'd pick my shot very carefully on an Eland. Hope this helps some. Good hunting.

Thank you for responding. Glad to hear the 165 is also a good penetrating bullet as its all swift loads in their A Frame for the 308 win. Looking for a good factory round for the 308 that has good reliable penetration and still makes a good wound channel. Wish federal would load the 180 a frame in the 308 they load the 180 partition in it.....

If you really want the 180 gr Swift A-Frame for your 308, order some from Hendershots

https://hendershots.net/product/308-winchester-extreme-custom-ammo/

1638917458316.png

Thank you 375 ruger fan. I hadn't found any factory loads with the 180 a frame in 308 and I do not hand load. I will check them out. Have you gotten ammo from them good company? Good ammo? Had not heard of them

No problem my friend. I would also recommend the Barnes 168grn TSX in the Barnes Vortex loads. Being solid monolithic bullet (no lead) it's long for its weight and will penetrate like a 180grn lead core bullet. I loaded that bullet for my daughter when I took her with me to Namibia. She harvested 4 animals with a reputation for soaking up lead. 4 one shot kills. A friends son took a Eland bull with the same load.

Thank you 375 ruger fan. I hadn't found any factory loads with the 180 a frame in 308 and I do not hand load. I will check them out. Have you gotten ammo from them good company? Good ammo? Had not heard of them
Yes, I have purchased 300 WM, 338 WM and 375 Ruger from Hendershots, all with various weights of Swift A-Frames. Very consistent, accurate ammo. Hendershots is a well known and highly regarded business. Ammo orders are taking longer than normal these days.

Been shooting .308 Hornady 165 grain light magnums since they came out and now their successor the Hornady Superformance with good results. I see no need for specialty ammo for thin skinned game.

When I was younger I used a 300 h&h mod 70 as my primary rifle. I shot 165 grain Swift a frames loaded by superior ammunition. I took deer, kudu, hippo headshot, croc headshot, and other animals with it. It was too long ago to have photos of the recovered bullets, but they performed exactly as you would expect a Swift a frame to perform.

No problem my friend. I would also recommend the Barnes 168grn TSX in the Barnes Vortex loads. Being solid monolithic bullet (no lead) it's long for its weight and will penetrate like a 180grn lead core bullet. I loaded that bullet for my daughter when I took her with me to Namibia. She harvested 4 animals with a reputation for soaking up lead. 4 one shot kills. A friends son took a Eland bull with the same load.
Interesting just checked it out that bullet has a .5 bc on their site and loaded to 2700 fps this is better than the sierra matchking 168 bullets bc. This just might be the ticket gonna look into this further. Thanks a bunch

Used 180 gr. SAF handloads @2700 MV in a .30-06 on plains game up to Kudu, and use the same today on Elk. I do have 1 factory box of these I've squirreled away because I have a pile of the bullets.

These work so well at everything I've pointed at I've never bothered to try their 165's.

On my last two trips to Namibia, I used 180 A Frames in my 300 Mag. only recovered a couple
( perfect mushrooms) as 12 of them all exited the other 12 animals I shot..
I'd use them again.

I used 180gr. A-frames, in 30-06, for a plains game hunt in South Africa. All were 1 shot kills. I used 300 gr. A-frames, in 375 H&H for Buff Hunt. Performance was outstanding. They are now my favorites.

Hello Rocco. Seems strange Swift doesn't load the 180 in .308 Win. That said , if I couldn't get the 180 I'd still go with the 165 with little reservations. Unlike the Nosler Partition the front core on the A-Frame is bonded to the jacket. You'll still get a good wound channel and deep penetration. I've used the 165 on very large pigs which are tougher than an old boot. Haven't lost one as yet with proper shot placement. I'd use it on most plains game, but I'd pick my shot very carefully on an Eland. Hope this helps some. Good hunting.
I agree with Rick on all points. I'd use the 165 A-frame just as quickly as a 180 partition.

And I took a total of 8 plains game species in Namibia with a 30-06 and 168 Barnes TTSX. Springbok to kudu and zebra all with one shot. If you can find the 168 Vor-TX ammo for your 308 give it a try.

Last edited:
Hi Rocco490,

Have used the 180 A Frame in 308w, as a reload using R15.
Used on a couple of trips to SA, used on Impala, Warthog, Hartebeest have to check if used on a Wildebeest. The bullets exited on the Impala and Hartebeest but on the warthog was found, it was a diagonal shot from in front of stomach through lungs heart and shoulder, bullet expanded well at 308w velocity. Would recommend, I thought the SA Firm of PMP loaded a 308w with 180g A Frame, perhaps our SA colleagues would comment. The A Frame does a good job though difficult to source now.
Rgds

Interesting just checked it out that bullet has a .5 bc on their site and loaded to 2700 fps this is better than the sierra matchking 168 bullets bc. This just might be the ticket gonna look into this further. Thanks a bunch
Just an fyi but the BC for Barnes 168 grain TTSX is actually .470 which is certainly not shabby for a hunting bullet.
Their 175 grain LRX is .508.
2CFCE32A-3D32-47C5-8864-2EB86BAF4BE2.png

50987BDF-58C2-4D31-B483-CEDFB6306B86.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sander.kvern

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH