30/06 165 grain

I've been loading the 180 grain A-Frame and Partition to 2,725 fps with H4350 since forever, and I've only used the A-Frame in .30-06, 9.3x62mm, and .375 H&H when hunting Africa.

But -

I've a pile of discontinued 165 grain Interbonds that kill real good at 2,893 fps with H4350. Why Hornady decided to stop making them is beyond me. If I switch from H4350 to StaBALL 6.5 I'm betting I'll find a very consistent (low SD) load right around 3,000 fps. Perfect for a Namibia plains game hunt, I'm thinking.

Gotta use 'em up on something ...
 
20230903_173810.jpg
20230903_153044.jpg
20230903_123604.jpg
20230902_111515.jpg
20230908_085741.jpg
20230907_181830.jpg
20230907_101004.jpg
20230828_175259.jpg
 
Big to little the 165 tssx will put them down. All one shot except giraffe. Second shot wasn't needed but sent it for insurance. And wife shoots it very well. Her springbok and the giraffe look like a massacre crime scene with all the blood
 
I’ve settled on 180 grain in my 30-06 for all my deer and pig hunting here at home.

I’m toying with the idea of getting some 200 grain AFrames loaded up for my 30-06 to take to Zim this year for Kudu, Zebra, hyena, etc…. Can’t decide on that or my 300 win mag.
 
Nope. I have used that a great deal on wildebeast and gemsbok and hartebeest. The 165 TSX is my "go to" in .30-06.
If you had a .300 WM or .300 H&H, then I would suggest 180gr TSX. However the 165 TSX is deadly regardless of the caliber....
 
I’ve settled on 180 grain in my 30-06 for all my deer and pig hunting here at home.

I’m toying with the idea of getting some 200 grain AFrames loaded up for my 30-06 to take to Zim this year for Kudu, Zebra, hyena, etc…. Can’t decide on that or my 300 win mag.

200 A-Frames are fantastic in .30/06... you will find the best accuracy at higher velocities, work up to a max load for your rifle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,430
Messages
1,575,986
Members
170,498
Latest member
MarilouToo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top