30/06 165 grain

I am thinking about taking my 30/06 , it really loves the 165 grain bullets. Is that to light for Zebra, Blue WB, Gemsbok?
@1:66 twiste@d
My son took a 398 loaded with 150gr Accubonds and everything he shot fell down. Bullet construction and placement.
Bob

Cool. I reloaded some 165 interlock for deer and practice for this trip. Going to order some Hornady CX in 165. For the hunt in SA.
@1:66 twiste@d
Personally I wouldn't waste the extra money on the CX. The speeds tou will be getting, probably around 2,800fps is the ideal velocity envelope for a good cup and core like the Interlock or step up to accubonds or Woodleigh PPSP.
Bob

The 165s work as do many other options..My personal opinion is its neither fish nor fowl, I prefer a 150 for general use and the 180 at 2700 for elk or larger stuff. my 308 and 06 shoot the 180 at 2600 and 2700 fps. thats what I get with the 165 gr, go figure. but to each his own..

Those Interlock bullets will work fine. I used them exclusively on my third trip because it's all I could get my hands on. I shot eight animals including stout black wildebeest, gemsbuck, and kudu. Nyala and kudu took follow up shots but only due to poor placement of first shot. Probably not necessary to shoot the nyala again.

I have used Partition 165 gr with good effect but they can make a mess. Be careful where you place the shot if you want a shoulder mount. Would not be my first choice for critters going in my freezer.

I took my 30-06 to SA couple years ago running 180 Swift A-frames. Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Oryx all flat out died. Would any of those animals noticed a 15gr difference in bullet weight? Absolutely not!

Back state side I've done a lot of hunting with the 178ELDX and had great results. Bears, Caribou, Elk and three species of deer all haven't lived to argue. Practice and use a premium bullet. Leave the rest up to tried and true 118yr old caliber.

Cheers, Reed

Has anyone here used the Barnes 175 LRX in their 30-06? I picked up a pack of 50 but haven’t done any load development yet. From what I have read the LRX is basically a TTSX but will open at lower velocities. I hope this doesn’t mean it will shed petals if impact velocities are high.

Pick up Dr Kevin Robertson’s pocket book, “The Perfect Shot”, showing where to aim on African game. A worthwhile pocket book in my opinion.
Practicing off sticks is perfect! Learn to get a shot off within a few seconds and putting it in the right spot.
You’ll have no problem using a quality 165 out of an 06 if you put it where it needs to go.
I have taken a number of elk using 165 bullets out of the 06 and they always did their job well.
You’re going to have a grand experience!

I prefer the 06 with 180 or 200 gr Nosler partitions, but for Africa I like the 9,3x62 or 375..if your hunting in DG lands, you never know when a Elephant or what ever will surprise you with a snare on his leg or has been chased by Lions all night not a time for light rifle..Had it happen by a pair in our camp and they got tossed around bit by a cow buffalo licking her wounds in the high grass...and thats the rest of the story. Besides the 180 is the bullet that made the 06 legend. :LOL:

It’s strange how it seems the 30:06 is considered passé and boring. It’s the .375 H&H of
PG calibers. Affordable Ammo everywhere
after flirting heavily with a Rigby 275 I finally decided to take my dads 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler Partisons for my leopard

The 06 made its fame with a 180 gr bullet at 2700 fps and its worked for me with every bullet I've used and most of the worlds wild game. I see the 165 as neither fish nor fowl, not as fast and flat as the 150s to 300 plus yds nor as effective on large animals as the 180 with its massive penetration...thats from experience not balistic masterbation..:)

No. The 165 is fine. Make shot placement your priority and you are good.
My kids have shot several of each of those with .270, .243, 7mm and .300 WM. No issues. Hit the right spot is the key.

There is so little difference between a 180 gr Partition at 2700 fps and a 165 gr NAB at 2850 fps as to be of no moment.

If you have a good load with the 165s, stick with them. If you want to try something else, I'd jump to the 180 gr Partition or NAB. But that's just me - I prefer the heaviest bullet I can shoot that'll get me somewhere between about 2600 and 2900 fps MV.

Bullet construction today is much better than the old days when 180 gr was king. Back then I had bad luck with 165 gr CoreLok factory ammo. Poor knock down and too much messed up meat. 165 gr Partitions put them down but also can be messy. TSX 167 gr are excellent in both departments. I'm sure the other modern high tech bullets perform well in 165 gr but I have no personal experience.

Like Ontario, in the old days I used 180s. Now i use TSX 165 they are accurate in my 06 and kill cleanly and efficiently.

I am thinking about taking my 30/06 , it really loves the 165 grain bullets. Is that to light for Zebra, Blue WB, Gemsbok?
No ! Think Nosler Partition, Norma Oryx. Good bullets maketh a good trophy !

after flirting heavily with a Rigby 275 I finally decided to take my dads 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler Partisons for my leopard
Tut, tut and Jim Corbett did so well with his.

Personally, I prefer 180's in the .30/06... it has plenty of case capacity to get them moving at sufficient speed for all reasonable ranges and the 180's have a tad more momentum for angles that are a little off. If the shot is broadside lungs, it won't make a difference if the bullet is 150 or 165 or 180... but the 180's do give a little extra margin when things are not quite perfect, and you give up very little in trajectory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelMcE

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!