6mm CM for varmints
.300 RUM for PG.
.458 B&M for DG

If picking doubles, then...
.22 Hornet for varmints
9.3x74R for PG under 250 yards.
.500 NE for DG

I'll cut it to one, the .375 Hollands.
I just imagine you,.... spending a weekend, hunting prairie dogs in North Dakota, with your .375 Holland & Holland...

:cool:

HWL

I just imagine you,.... spending a weekend, hunting prairie dogs in North Dakota, with your .375 Holland & Holland...
After 500 rounds or so from a bench, each day, his shoulder and pocketbook might hurt a bit. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I know a guy whose only hunting rifle is a .375H&H and yes he practices with it by shooting ground squirrels with 235gr bullets.

I would think the most practical and popular would be a 1. .22 cal. something, 2. .300wm and 3. .375H&H. But my preference would be something in 1. 6mm, 2. 8mm and 3. .416

HWL
Well wise guys,,, shooting prairie dogs is not hunting, its shooting. I took the question as for hunting actual game.:rolleyes:

The author of the article listed 9.3x62 and .338 WM as options if one was never going to hunt outside North America. His choice for large game in Africa was a .375 H&H.
Twenty-plus years ago, Ross Seyfried wrote an article called "A Hunter's Battery" containing his opinions for the minimum rifles that one needed to cover the world.
He listed:
.22 LR (as he saw it impossible to get through life without one)
12-guage
.44 Magnum or .45 Colt
.22-250
.270 Winchester or .280 Remington
.375 H&H
He also made the point that if one only hunted NA then his "heavy" could be a .338 WM or .340 Weatherby.
I think often about what I would do if I lost every one of my hunting rifles and what I would replace them with. My tentative list:
6.5 PRC (already own)
.300 PRC or .300 RSAUM
9.3x62 (already own)
.416 Ruger (already own).
Just my humble opinions based on my experiences and what I desire to hunt.

Well wise guys,,, shooting prairie dogs is not hunting, its shooting. I took the question as for hunting actual game.:rolleyes:
Learned another lesson here..... actual game begins, where .375 H & H fits!

(y)

HWL

Sounds to me like the author had a deadline to meet and nothing to write about.
A waste of time.

Sounds to me like the author had a deadline to meet and nothing to write about.
A waste of time.
Come on @crs, nothing here is a waste of our unlimited time! I/we argue over every topic under the fading African or Chinese sun including this thread topic. Next topic could be Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen pushing his .35 Whelen to 3500fps with a 250gr. titanium bullet or you loading a 500gr CEB at 2400 out of your .405? It's all good and entertaining. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Learned another lesson here..... actual game begins, where .375 H & H fits!

(y)

HWL
Well, Elmer Keith did say when asked, that the .375 H and H "is a good whitetail cartridge", so.....?

Come on @crs, nothing here is a waste of our unlimited time! I/we argue over every topic under the fading African or Chinese sun including this thread topic. Next topic could be Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen pushing his .35 Whelen to 3500fps with a 250gr. titanium bullet or you loading a 500gr CEB at 2400 out of your .405? It's all good and entertaining. Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
If'n i could get that speed out of my Whelen with 250s at reasonable pressure it would be great. The recoil would be up there tho. I wonder how @sestoppelman would be scratching his head trying to figure that much power out of an 06 case, but then so would I.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Well, Elmer Keith did say when asked, that the .375 H and H "is a good whitetail cartridge", so.....?
I do not doubt this. ;)

I am a proud owner of a Brno 550 Magnum and a Brno O/U Express in .375 H & H.

btw,, didn't he also say, the .270 Win is a "damned good coyote gun" !!!

HWL

Last edited:
Having recently culled my hunting rifles

I have but three 303 Brit 404j 505 Gibbs ...the Gibbs is purely to see if I can master the big girl ...the other two have practical applications should I fail !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,