.280 For Plains Game?

If talking Ross, then yes…..

My PH, Koos De Meyer told me the 280 had been one his two favorite rifles.

It took everything up to eland with it and said it had taken several lions.

He liked heavy for caliber bullets especially a 170 grain PMP soft point made in South Africa.

He was also a fan of the Barnes TSX and Nosler Partition.

I'm a big fan of the 280 Remington, but have always wondered why the 270 WCF gets so little respect when it's the same case and shoots a bullet only .007 inches less in diameter.

I'm a big fan of the 280 Remington, but have always wondered why the 270 WCF gets so little respect when it's the same case and shoots a bullet only .007 inches less in diameter.
Maybe it just did not get a start or have the marketing. That seems to help drive the popularity of the cartridge.
Respect, that could be subjective. Just because something is popular doesn't mean we all 'Respect" it

The 270 Win is very popular. It has been in the top ten North American cartridges for over 5o yrs. Just check the major gun manufactuers and see how many models there are of 280 vs 270.

I have used a 280 on three trips and have taken around 25 plains game. I used 140 grain bullets, Swift A Frames and Barnes TTSX were best. Both worked better than Partitions or Accubonds. The 280 performed just like a 270 or a 30/06. Today I would use the 145 Barnes LRX...better than all the others.

The 280 may be the most underrated offspring of the 30-06 (actually closer to the 30-03. It is a Great Plains game cartridge. I bought an early Don Allen era Dakota 76 chambered in 280 and thought, “Why Not?!”. Since that time, I have used it successfully on Kudu and Nyala. Pick a good bullet and don’t be afraid of weight. I shoot 160 grain Swift A Frame hand loads and am in love. I think it’s the perfect combination of bullet weight and trajectory. A point to ponder is where you are hunting. I hunted in the thick, brushy terrain of the Limpopo. Your average shot there is probably 150 yards or less. In conditions like those, I think the 175s may be the cat’s meow. That being said, I sure can’t complain about the 160s performance. I’ll post some pictures of the recovered bullets once I get home

PHOTO-2021-07-16-14-44-49.jpeg
PHOTO-2021-07-16-14-43-57.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought the 280 was a great cartridge. I gave my beloved BDL in 270 Win to my son about 10 years ago. I had killed about 2 dozen elk many deer and 9 bears with. He got his first elk with it the next year and won't give it back lol! Bought a used Mark V in 270 Weatherby to replace it, never fell in love with it. Just bought a BDL in 7mm Rem Mag off gunbroker hope that does it!

I've always thought the 280 was a great cartridge. I gave my beloved BDL in 270 Win to my son about 10 years ago. I had killed about 2 dozen elk many deer and 9 bears with. He got his first elk with it the next year and won't give it back lol! Bought a used Mark V in 270 Weatherby to replace it, never fell in love with it. Just bought a BDL in 7mm Rem Mag off gunbroker hope that does it!
Your son is making memories with the same rifle you did and you have more to replace it. Win, win.
I don't know much about Weatherby rifles or cartridges but the Rem700 BDL models still look like a nice traditional hunting rifle to me. The sort of thing I used to dream of growing up. I would be happy to own one.

The 280 REM and 7x64 are almost ballistic twins. The 7x64 is quite popular amongst hunters in South Africa.

I have one and it’s set up for bushveld hunting with a S&B 6x42 scope. It is a death ray on anything I have hunted and has taken all the species up to Eland.

I shoot Sako 170gr Hammerhead factory rounds and they are fantastic. It hits hard and has little recoil. I would use it and the 280 REM comfortably on all the species you listed.

My daughter in law used it to shoot a nice warthog last year In Limpopo.

b29df07d-b43b-442c-b444-c47c0558c1ab.jpeg

Hi All,

I am booked headed over in March 2024 for my first Plains Game hunt.

I’ve recently come into a .280Rem and quite like it , does anyone have experience with it in SA? I will look to top it off with a Leopold 3.5-10x40

Species on the list (at the moment) are ;
1 x Blesbuck
1 x Zebra
1 x Impala
1 x Springbuck
1 x Warthog

I’ll get the right bullet and put in the time on the range but I would be good to hear actually experiences.

My son hunted Africa on a few safaris already with his 7x64, the ballistically identical European twin of the 280 Remington. As a do-all, your 280 Rem will work just fine for your entire bag with 140gr TTSX bullets.

Now for the bad news:

My son's eland died from a heart shot, running only 200 yards. In all the confusion, none of us realized where it went. Not one drop of blood to trail, we got lucky by searching extensively for 2 hours. Point being: it's not a great caliber for eland.

More bad news:

Even on big deer in the USA at close ranges, it makes an awful mess. The hydrostatic shockwave usually detonates guts even on a heart/lung shot, so you do have a lot of meat damage on 200lb animals. It will do a ton of damage to your springbok and impala.

The really good news:

It's a real devastator on tougher game. It drops Kudu, Zebra, and Wildebeest with authority if you're doing heart lung shots. (don't get too clever trying to aim forward and break the shoulders...that isn't going to work as well)

If you're a one-gun safari guy, your 280 Rem is as good of a compromise caliber as you can find for plains game. If you're going with two guns, a 243 or 257 for the smaller stuff, and a 280 rem or 300 HH for the bigger stuff would be the 2-gun alternative.

The .280 is a great choice!!! Use premium bullets as per any hunt and you will have great success. More than enough gun for duiker to Eland. Enjoy your safari and report back with your findings.

My 280 Rem is not Ackley Improved and is loaded with 175 grain bullets whether I am hunting bobcat or moose. It's a 7mm RM you just have to get a bit closer with. :giggle: If corbett can kill 600lbs man eating tigers with a .275 Rigby, the .280 with 175 grain bonded bullets will take everything on your list.

I took my 280 ackley when I went in May. From the steenbuck to kudu it worked wonderful. 150 grain Barnes ttsx worked magic. My wife took her zebra with it at 200 yards with a frontal shot and dropped right there.

Hi All,

I am booked headed over in March 2024 for my first Plains Game hunt.

I’ve recently come into a .280Rem and quite like it , does anyone have experience with it in SA? I will look to top it off with a Leopold 3.5-10x40

Species on the list (at the moment) are ;
1 x Blesbuck
1 x Zebra
1 x Impala
1 x Springbuck
1 x Warthog

I’ll get the right bullet and put in the time on the range but I would be good to hear actually experiences.
@Aaron_
Load it with a good 160gn accubond, swift AFrame or Woodleigh to 2,900to 3,000fps and go have fun. Loaded properly it ain't that far behind the 7mmRM and no one complains about that.
If I could only have 1 rifle it would be a hard choice between the 35 Whelen and the 280. I think the 35 would just nudge it out tho.
Bob

@AaronR8
If I could only have 1 rifle it would be a hard choice between the 35 Whelen and the 280. I think the 35 would just nudge it out tho.
Bob
You know you the .280a.i. would be the Goldilocks porridge

My son hunted Africa on a few safaris already with his 7x64, the ballistically identical European twin of the 280 Remington. As a do-all, your 280 Rem will work just fine for your entire bag with 140gr TTSX bullets.

Now for the bad news:

My son's eland died from a heart shot, running only 200 yards. In all the confusion, none of us realized where it went. Not one drop of blood to trail, we got lucky by searching extensively for 2 hours. Point being: it's not a great caliber for eland.

More bad news:

Even on big deer in the USA at close ranges, it makes an awful mess. The hydrostatic shockwave usually detonates guts even on a heart/lung shot, so you do have a lot of meat damage on 200lb animals. It will do a ton of damage to your springbok and impala.

The really good news:

It's a real devastator on tougher game. It drops Kudu, Zebra, and Wildebeest with authority if you're doing heart lung shots. (don't get too clever trying to aim forward and break the shoulders...that isn't going to work as well)

If you're a one-gun safari guy, your 280 Rem is as good of a compromise caliber as you can find for plains game. If you're going with two guns, a 243 or 257 for the smaller stuff, and a 280 rem or 300 HH for the bigger stuff would be the 2-gun alternative.
Use heavier bullets.....I use 170gr Rhino great bullet for our animals....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarriDadso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.