.270 vs 7*57 Which is the best???

My favorite brass is PPU, my favorite rifle is a Renner special in 7x57..PPU brass is cheaper than dirt and lasts forever with max loads..I buy a couple of hundred at a time and let that work for a long time..but one can make 7x57 brass from 257 Robts, 280, 270, 35 Whelen, 6mm, 30-06 and a host of others resize and trim..

probably a better subject would be 270 vs 280.
but then the answer would be obvious.
the 280 is a non magnum that picks up on the best points of both the 7x57 and 270.
trajectory and bullets.
bruce.
Then in that case it would have to be the 7x64 Brenneke! ;)

I LOVE BOTH, THE 270 HAS BEEN MY GO TO FOR SMALLER NA GAME FOR YEARS BUT IVE KILLED SEVERAL THINGS WITH 275 RIGBY (7X57) AND IT WAS MY DADS FAVORITE "LIGHT" RIFLE FOR YEARS!
THAT AND A 470NE DOUBLE AND PRE-64 375 KILLED EVERYTHING THAT WALKED IN FRONT OF HIM!

The 270 is gone cause we went into lockdown again we'll check cause now there are another two 7/57's so we are going to shoot all three on Saturday and make our decision from there.
There's now a cheap .22 so that's for sure and well clean it up, get the rust off and re-do the stock.

out of the 7x57 and the 270, the 280 rem is the best.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Now even you know there is only one correct answer mate.
The 280 rem, more oomph th as n the 7x57 and can do more than the 270.
Me thinks it was a trick question.
Bob.

I think the current count is four .270's and two 7x57's (one technically a .275). I love them all.

With the proper 130 gr bullet, I personally think the .270 is the most perfectly balanced "deer rifle" ever created. Moreover, it has great reach for virtually anything in North America of similar size. It is not my first choice for elk, but neither is a 7x57.

The 7x57 really shines for me at the heavier end of its bullet weight spectrum where the caliber seems to punch well above its class. The 156 gr Oryx is a superb PG or black bear load and the various 170 bullets drive deeply on anything they hit.

Just two wonderfully balanced calibers - as are the .280 and 7x64/65R (I have and love both of those as well.)

The 7 mm Mauser ( 7x57 mm ) gets my vote . I like the .270 Winchester too , but the 7 mm Mauser and it’s heavier bullets are a deal breaker for me . This old Churchill 7 mm Mauser ( built on a military surplus Mauser 98 action with the stripper clip ear guides being ground down ) has been filling my pot endlessly , since I first bought it in 1989 .

African Denel PMP 170 Gr ammunition for the 7 mm Mauser is really good . So is the Brenekke 177 Gr TIG .
EBFAB505-1C7D-4850-B6CD-622CE502D18F.jpeg

I like those Churchill Mausers but have only seen them in .30-06. Looks like yours could do with a new pad though...

I like those Churchill Mausers but have only seen them in .30-06. Looks like yours could do with a new pad though...
Yeah . Thanks a lot . That old Churchill 7 mm Mauser has a lot of years on it . Probably needs a reblueing job too . But luckily , the rest of the rifle's in spotless condition .

A lot seems to be mentioned about cartridge potential as compared to factory on the shelf ammo.
I reload so am able to create long range ammo that would only come from a custom reloading company. A shooting friend and I both shoot 300 Win Mag rifles that perform very close to the 338 Lapua Mag but recommending the 300 WM based on my rifle and loads would be greatly misleading.
I believe @Professor Mawla offered wise information pertaining to the source and brand of ammo for the caliber.
The 30-06 and 308 get billed back and forth as being equal and within most hunting distances they would be used probably are. However, there are no 220gr bullet loads available for a 308 if that is felt to be needed. They both have been used extensively at 1000 yard matches but that is not hunting it is punching holes in paper. What is the expected shot distance and what bullet type and weight that would be selected for the animals hunted and stature of the person shooting weighs more important.
For sure a choice of rifle condition would be top if all other were equal.
On fit: I once owned an AYA Matador 10gr SBS that I shot extremely well. I encountered an O/U 10ga that fit like it had been custom made for me and bought it. I could not hit anything with it grew frustrated and took it back to the store to be sold. The shop owner told me that it was the same with everyone that shot it so told the last person to buy it to sell it elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!