.270 vs .280

He clearly needs 100+ rounds on a hunt because he is the world's worst shot having shot out numerous barrels "on game." 8000 - 10,000 rounds on game and you are either poaching, culling or missing.

I have shot the throat out of a 270 with around 4000 rounds or slightly under. When you run the barrel hot the lands erode somewhat quicker than with only 2 or 3 shots at a time. when you get onto a mob of pigs in the open the shot quick and reload and shoot again all very quickly. Throw in practice of this style of shooting and the throat is not going to last too long. Regrettably I don't get onto those sorts of mobs and I am not hunting the same country.

I have shot the throat out of a 270 with around 4000 rounds or slightly under. When you run the barrel hot the lands erode somewhat quicker than with only 2 or 3 shots at a time. when you get onto a mob of pigs in the open the shot quick and reload and shoot again all very quickly. Throw in practice of this style of shooting and the throat is not going to last too long. Regrettably I don't get onto those sorts of mobs and I am not hunting the same country.
He said he shot out two .270 barrels and was on the third and shot out one .280 barrel and was on the second... in those cartridges, you are looking at 3-4000 rounds to wear it out (approximately), so I conservatively estimated 8K - 10K rounds total... "ON GAME!" You either have to be in an excellent culling scenario,, OR the world's worst shot...

Rest in peace, Aussie brother.

Hoytcanon,

I see where you are coming from. I believe Bruce did culling and range time with his rifles and he would not be the first Aussie hunter I have heard of to wear out several barrels on a rifle.

Nowadays in Queensland you can do a like for like. That is trade in a worn out 223 (or any other calibre)for a new 223, in the same sort of rifle, for little more than getting a new barrel and stuff all paper work. One pro culler I know changes his 223 several times a year.

When your shooting 200 to 300 roos a night it does not take long, time wise, for a barrel to start loosing its accuracy. As he does not shoot every night of the week lets say it is 100 a night, five nights a week. In a little over a month there is 3000 rounds through it. In the past pro roo shooters used 243, 270 for their work. That would have been back in the 1950 to the late 1970's. Bruce may have been culling in that era, I don't know.

I gotta ask: what on earth were you carrying " over an hundreds of ammo" on a sheep hunt for??
Not sheep hunting. Hunting in Australia is different.
When it comes to sheep they are not really hunted here

He said he shot out two .270 barrels and was on the third and shot out one .280 barrel and was on the second...

He did have a time where he worked in the bush. Culling is a part of country life here.

He said total... "ON GAME!" You either have to be in an excellent culling scenario,, OR the world's worst shot...
Far from the worlds worst shot.

Bruce Moulds was an accomplished F Class shooter and used his full name Bruce Moulds on several forums.

I did not know Bruce or of Bruce, but as I said, if you are shooting 10K plus rounds at game, you are either a poacher, a terrible shot or a culler... apparently he was the latter. Sad to hear of his passing, he sounds like he was an avid shooter and outdoorsman... a loss to our community.

I believe Bruce passed away a couple of years ago.

Yikes... bummer. Condolences.

Miss his presence on AH. He offered alot of good information on this forum.

He was also a competitive shooter IIRC.

From Australia so plenty of invasives to hunt

He was incredibly knowledgeable and had a lot of interesting posts

+1. I may be mistaken, but I believe he was a 9.3x64 aficionado?

A Von Gruff knives aficionado too

He said he shot out two .270 barrels and was on the third and shot out one .280 barrel and was on the second... in those cartridges, you are looking at 3-4000 rounds to wear it out (approximately), so I conservatively estimated 8K - 10K rounds total... "ON GAME!" You either have to be in an excellent culling scenario,, OR the world's worst shot...

Hoytcanon,

I see where you are coming from. I believe Bruce did culling and range time with his rifles and he would not be the first Aussie hunter I have heard of to wear out several barrels on a rifle.

Nowadays in Queensland you can do a like for like. That is trade in a worn out 223 (or any other calibre)for a new 223, in the same sort of rifle, for little more than getting a new barrel and stuff all paper work. One pro culler I know changes his 223 several times a year.

When your shooting 200 to 300 roos a night it does not take long, time wise, for a barrel to start loosing its accuracy. As he does not shoot every night of the week lets say it is 100 a night, five nights a week. In a little over a month there is 3000 rounds through it. In the past pro roo shooters used 243, 270 for their work. That would have been back in the 1950 to the late 1970's. Bruce may have been culling in that era, I don't know.

I hope I did not miss anyone here.

I met Bruce when I was in his area. We had shared many laughs in pm on AH. In part we met to compare our Von Gruff knives but also just because we could. We had coffee in Hahndorf, talked about guns and knives and Bruce talked about the 280, in fact it was what we spoke about as we parted. With some other input I ended up with a .280a.i.

It wasn’t that long after that I was notified by his son in law via Bruce AH account in pm that Bruce had passed away overnight from Meningococcal disease.

I knew a little about Bruce and his shooting experience and have since met a mate of Bruce (@jcinsa) who verified his shooting experience.

So from that I conclude life is short and we should hunt more.

I have been fortunate to meet with a few AH members in person,

I did not know Bruce or of Bruce, but as I said, if you are shooting 10K plus rounds at game, you are either a poacher, a terrible shot or a culler... apparently he was the latter. Sad to hear of his passing, he sounds like he was an avid shooter and outdoorsman... a loss to our community.
Definitely the latter and I honestly doubt he was an any of the other because he had the experience to show this.

There are various threads with Bruce posts here.

I figured if I have to handload, I might as well give 7x64 a try. Even .280 AI ammo is not that easy to come by here. So I have some 7x64 RWS ammo, which will provide good brass for reloading. If I need anything stronger than 7x64, I will step up to 7mm PRC.

I figured if I have to handload, I might as well give 7x64 a try. Even .280 AI ammo is not that easy to come by here. So I have some 7x64 RWS ammo, which will provide good brass for reloading. If I need anything stronger than 7x64, I will step up to 7mm PRC.
Don't be afraid to use S&B 7X64 brass, and their 173 SPCE load with Torpedo bullet is excellent on game. I also have a good load with the Nosler 150 NBT and RL-19.

Don't be afraid to use S&B 7X64 brass, and their 173 SPCE load with Torpedo bullet is excellent on game. I also have a good load with the Nosler 150 NBT and RL-19.
I have that also. as well as some PPU brass. For the amount of times I use this rifle it's plenty. Would like to try it on next cow elk. Maybe I will get drawn in couple years.

I shoot both a lot. I have killed elk, mule deer, pronghorn and about 10-15 species of African game with each. I cannot tell the difference.

I tend to shoot the .270 with 130gr TSX bullets and the .280 with 140gr TSX or Partitions. For some reason, I grab the .280 for elk and kudu and the .270 for everything else. No idea why as they are basically the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MerriPrieu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.