270 grain vs 300grain which is better for cape buffalo and lioness

GuggaOn

Reaction score
My father is planning on taking a lioness and Cape buffalo with his Remington 375 and was curious on which would be better. The 270 grain vs 300 grain solid or soft

Thank you

Last edited:
300Gr
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg

Doesn't really matter, but I use a 300gr TSX on lion and buff and eland and everything else.

I would say 300 grain as Buff is in the package. I like the Woodleigh bullets but from reading A-Frames are very good as well. My preference would be Round Nose for Lion and Protected Point for Buff. Then I would prefer a 350 grain projectile for Buff.

These are just impressions as I have not hunted lion and only shot one Buff and that was with a Woodleigh Hydro out of a 416 Rigby.

The needs are somewhat different you need a well bonded bullet for Cape Buff first shot then solids after that 0and for lion a quicker expander would be preferred. At least by me.Lionnes light frame would lead me to a traditional cut and core at around 2500 fps and 300gr.
To keep things simple I would go with the Swift AFrame and be selective on shot placement which you should be doing anyway with these 2 animals.

I'll be hunting lioness next year and using 300gr Woodleigh PP's out of my 375 H&H running 2550fps. I've used the 350gr version at 2250fps out of the same rifle in 2017 for two cape buffalo with great effect. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 300gr Woodleigh for buffalo.

Remington is a poor dg rifle....for the two species premium grade expanding bullets....excluding Barnes x

I would use the 300 grain soft personally. For lion I would definitely stay away from solids. Good bullets abound for the .375... A-Frames, Trophy Bonded and Barnes TSX are some of my favorites.

My father is planning on taking a lioness and Cape buffalo with his Remington 375 and was curious on which would be better. The 270 grain vs 300 grain solid or soft

Thank you
The Remington 700 action may not be the choice of PH's worldwide, but if it has proven itself reliable on hunts and at the range, use it. Make sure you run the action in every which way you can; fast and hard, slow and easy...etc. I've never put much credence into PF vs CRF for a client rifle. If you are having issues, seek a qualified gunsmith that is familiar with that kind of action to have it addressed.

Your father will be well served with any of the premium 300 grain expanding bullets like the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC or Norma Oryx. Find what groups best in the rifle and go from there. Stepping down to the 270 grain lowers the sectional density below .300 which reduces penetration. Straight line penetration is especially important on buffalo.

I would urge him to bring a handful of solids (maybe 10) that shoot to the same POI as the expanding bullets. However, you should only load them when asked to by the PH. In general, solids are not used by clients when hunting buffalo or lion. Look for the Woodliegh Hydro (loaded by Federal) or if you reload the CEB Safari Solids are a good choice.

Do you have a stalking or hide hunt planned for the lioness?

I would use 270gr on lion and 300gr on buffalo. The 300gr may just zip through a lion if it encounters no bone or harder tissue. To be honest, a well-placed 270 will also kill a buffalo reliably, but if those 30 additional grains of insurance and slightly better penetration are reassuring, go for the 300gr.

As far as which bullet, most modern bonded softs are excellent. I hear good things about the expanding monolith numbers such as Barnes 270gr LRX, but I have no experience with them.

As for the Remington 700, if it's proven reliable and your father shoots it well, I see no reason whatsoever to look for another rifle.

The Remington 700 action may not be the choice of PH's worldwide, but if it has proven itself reliable on hunts and at the range, use it. Make sure you run the action in every which way you can; fast and hard, slow and easy...etc. I've never put much credence into PF vs CRF for a client rifle. If you are having issues, seek a qualified gunsmith that is familiar with that kind of action to have it addressed.

Your father will be well served with any of the premium 300 grain expanding bullets like the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC or Norma Oryx. Find what groups best in the rifle and go from there. Stepping down to the 270 grain lowers the sectional density below .300 which reduces penetration. Straight line penetration is especially important on buffalo.

I would urge him to bring a handful of solids (maybe 10) that shoot to the same POI as the expanding bullets. However, you should only load them when asked to by the PH. In general, solids are not used by clients when hunting buffalo or lion. Look for the Woodliegh Hydro (loaded by Federal) or if you reload the CEB Safari Solids are a good choice.

Do you have a stalking or hide hunt planned for the lioness?
Yes, the Remington 700s, post '63 PF Winchesters, Weatherby PF, etc., were ALL used for DG hunting for many years in Alaska, Africa and around the world. Maybe not ideal, but in this country, unless one could afford a custom Mauser actioned rifle or bought a used pre '64 Winchester in a big bore, it was the only game in town so to speak for a hunter wanting a new factory DG rifle. I've never hunted ANY DG game, but if I ever get the opportunity, I will use one of my CZ 550s which wasn't an option for some of the previous generations of hunters here planning a trip to hunt DG Internationally.

Keep it simple and shoot 300 grain bullets for everything. Bearclaws, A Frame or TSX are all excellent choices to use for both animals.

As you can see you have a plethora of options, at the end of the day use one that your rifle shoots best and your dad is most comfortable. Dr Robertson recommends a soft followed by a cup point solid for a buffalo.

I used Barnes TSX for my lion and have taken several buffalo with TSX, stick with 300 grain. If I were hunting lion today I would probably opt for Swift A-frames.

IvW- curious about Barnes TTX exclusion?
I dont like them and dont use them as I need a bullet that expands as designed everytime notmost of the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
41On

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.