.270 conversion to .338-06

I am building a .338-‘06 right now. I like the ability to handle heavier bullets than the ‘06, while retaining good velocity with low recoil. Using a Rutger M77 mark. II with CRF.

That was exactly my logic when looking at the 338-06. A capability upgrade from the '06. The next obvious step up is not somewhere in between... it is the 375 HH or 416 Rem Mag. You'll find bullet selection is excellent and only slightly less than 30 cal and greater than most others. Properly heasdstamped brass as required for some Africa travel is problematic for all these type cartridges even some of the seemingly "common" ones. So if you find a reasonable source of the Weatherby 338-06 brass (made by Norma actually) and head stamped "Weatherby 338-06 A-Sq" probably be a good idea to grab it. The Weatherby box does have odd markings. NO worries it is the right stuff-- just odd. If not going to Africa, easy matter to get some new '06 brass and either fire form it in your chamber using a reduced cast bullet load or by running the '06 brass into a 338-06 die that has a tapered neck button- similar to the Lee and Hornady types. Really very straight forward to resize- just make sure to also lube the inside of the neck. :)

The other source is maybe Quality Cartridge, but you'd have to call to find out about availability.

338-06 headstamp.JPG
Weatherby 338-06 brass.png

That was exactly my logic when looking at the 338-06. A capability upgrade from the '06. The next obvious step up is not somewhere in between... it is the 375 HH or 416 Rem Mag. You'll find bullet selection is excellent and only slightly less than 30 cal and greater than most others. Properly heasdstamped brass as required for some Africa travel is problematic for all these type cartridges even some of the seemingly "common" ones. So if you find a reasonable source of the Weatherby 338-06 brass (made by Norma actually) and head stamped "Weatherby 338-06 A-Sq" probably be a good idea to grab it. The Weatherby box does have odd markings. NO worries it is the right stuff-- just odd. If not going to Africa, easy matter to get some new '06 brass and either fire form it in your chamber using a reduced cast bullet load or by running the '06 brass into a 338-06 die that has a tapered neck button- similar to the Lee and Hornady types. Really very straight forward to resize- just make sure to also lube the inside of the neck. :)

The other source is maybe Quality Cartridge, but you'd have to call to find out about availability.

View attachment 330028 View attachment 330029
I’m confused (easily) again? .338-06 AND .338-06 WEATHERBY MAGNUM ? Same cartridge, just Weatherby (Nosler) brass? Thanks!

"I’m confused (easily) again? .338-06 AND .338-06 WEATHERBY MAGNUM ? Same cartridge, just Weatherby (Nosler) brass? Thanks!"

Yes, Weatherby markets their 338-06 brass in a box that is marked "Magnum". It IS the correct brass and is made by Norma. :):)

I have a feeling that Old Elmer Keith would have answered about like this. The 270 cartridge is a great cartridge once the expander ball has brought the case neck to 338 diameter.Lol
I’m working on a 338/06 on an 03A3 action, lord knows when I will get around to completing it though. I have a 375 Whelen Ackley Improved and a 35 Whelen, both of them are great rounds.
A guy should not try to rationalize the need for a new rifle and especially if the rifles are in the same group of usefulness. A pragmatic person would make the comment that you could load down the 340 Wby. Sure you “could” do that but then you wouldn’t need a new rifle in the 338 class now would you?
Cheers,
Cody

How does the 375 Whelen AI compare in velocity to the 9.3x62? I always thought this would be a fun caliber to fiddle with.

Thanks for any input.

I own both, my Rem 700 is 35Whelen and I did a Savage 110 re barrel to 338-06 and love them both, but my vote goes to a 35Whelen re- barrel. The Savage 338-06 is a real tac driver as is the Whelen
P1010027.JPG

Good afternoon gentleman I'd like to start of by saying your all a terrible influence on me. I was perfectly content to own only one rifle until such time as I started hanging around on here. So far I've bought two more.

Today I bought a Remington 700lh chambered for 270. I really like the fit and feel of the rifle but am not in love with the caliber. Given that the parent case of the .270 is the 30-06 I believe it could be rechambered to either 338-06 or .35whalen could any of you shed some light on this for me. Also which is a better cartridge to rechamber too.
If I were you I'd consider clambering it to 9.3x62. It's a superb calibre that was only displaced when the 375HH came out. In it's 100+ yr history the 9.3x62 has proven it's got the power and capability of taking everything up to and including cape buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredDmt053

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross