.270 ? 7x57 ? Or 30-06 ?

I am biased to the 30 06 as I have recently returned from a plains game hunt with it, from my own experience it was an excellent round for my purposes, all shots were under 250 yards and shot placement was good. That being said the recovered projectiles weighed 110 and 115 (only got 2 back) from a 180gn accubond, so if you like your 270 why not load a 130-150gn mono pill, tsx, gmx, etip, and take that

Hi Guys
The 270 is good but stick to the heavier 150 grain bullets and heavier
The 3006 with 180 grain +
but my heart still goes to the 7 x 57 mm with 162 grain bullets and heavier especially at the shorter bushveld ranges
Please avoid the lighter bullets at shorter ranges most espesialy on the harder species like pig and The Blue brindal bloody GUNU
Have fun and be safe
Russel
Ps You hit the blue Gunu with a light bullet prepair for a LONG walk haha the voice of experiance many a blister later

Hi Guys
The 270 is good but stick to the heavier 150 grain bullets and heavier
The 3006 with 180 grain +
but my heart still goes to the 7 x 57 mm with 162 grain bullets and heavier especially at the shorter bushveld ranges
Please avoid the lighter bullets at shorter ranges most espesialy on the harder species like pig and The Blue brindal bloody GUNU
Have fun and be safe
Russel
Ps You hit the blue Gunu with a light bullet prepair for a LONG walk haha the voice of experiance many a blister later
Lighter bullet is fine if its the RIGHT lighter bullet, properly placed. My boy took a blu wilde in RSA with one shot from a .284 Win loaded with a 140 gr Barnes Triple Shock at 3000fps, about the same as a .270 would do. Ran about 35 yds, and keeled over, heart cleaved in two.

What a beautiful rifle. Hear in America alot of times rifles like this are overlooked because the younger generation are into tactical Assault weapons. Probably a young man came a traded this in for a cheap AR
You make a lot of assumptions about what people like and buy and why. Something wrong with AR15's? Assault weapons as the ignorant media and political hacks like to call them is a misnomer. Assault weapons require full automatic capability. A "cheap AR" (ArmaLIte Rifle, not assault rifle!) semi automatic rifle is not an assault weapon, that's just for the masses that don't know any better and is meant to serve an anti gun agenda. We should not fall for such silly attempts to ban our sport by vilifying a group of firearms based completely on appearance any more than we should vilify any group of people based on color.

I'd say relax. I think you might have mistakenly read 2 much into my post. When I said cheap AR I ment like a DPMS Oracle or something. I was also 1/2 heartily joking, I think you might feel embarrassed if you knew my back ground. Then again maybe not. So from now on I'll avoid comments in your presence online. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
That's OK, I'm not embarrassed and I don't much care about your background, wonderful it may be. Not sure how you plan to avoid making comments in my presence though.o_O:rolleyes: I am around here a fair amount. However my little rant about AR's was more for general consumption, and not really aimed at you so much as just offered for those that might not be aware of how AR's are very often inaccurately portrayed by many people especially in the lamestream media.

I agree with you totally on the way ARs are portrayed in the media. We probably agree on alot or most things. Like I said sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm new to this forum. I guess I'll just avoid you by not coming onto the forum at all. Seems to be how you want it being a silver supporter and all

You don't have to avoid anybody, certainly not me. Don't leave on my account. This isn't my forum and I am not asking you to do or not do anything on my account. Don't be so thin skinned, sometimes we get a little excited around here, same as on all forums. So what. As you told me above, relax. I will if you will.

You don't have to avoid anybody, certainly not me. Don't leave on my account. ..........

Have to agree with this sentiment.

If someone is not getting annoyed by someone else on the internet today the power was shut off or load shedding occurred in their area.

By the way, if anyone is really a problem I deal with them.

I'm definitely not thin skinned and I'm very relaxed, judging from your avatar alone you appear to be a very accomplished and seasoned hunter and your posting history shows you have been active with this forum for many years. You actually probably have alot of great wisdom and knowledgeable advice you could give a younger hunter/shooter such as myself. Anyone who's brought down a animal like the one in your avatar is light years ahead of me. But it's unfortunate your approach in the way you confronted me with frankly, bad manners. In all honesty is unappealing and in the spirit of our hunting forefathers who we're complete gentleman most of the time and did there best to not keep uncouth company. I apologized to you twice and your last post offered nothing of the sort except very far removed telling me to relax. Once again I apologize, that's 3 times now. And most of all I'm sorry for not being able to befriend you and receive some of your insights into hunting and shooting

Well forgive me if I feel that your first two apologies were somewhat disingenuous as they were accompanied with braggadocio and vaguely snide references to my status as if that had any bearing about anything. There is no need for either of us to apologize in the first place. I explained about my rant not being directed at you. As I said, I will chill if you will, in fact I will chill anyway. No need to beat this horse anymore as far as I am concerned.

DMV, I hope you enjoy your "new" rifle, I hope it shoots well. I like a lot of the older rifles people have forgotten about too. Nothing like wood and metal.

Thanks for all your comments folks, much appreciated. I have seen a Parker Hale .275 for £200 complete with intact iron sights and a Schmidt and Bender 4x36. Decisions decisions!! I've now made my mind up 7x57 mm/ .275 will be my next calibre so that o can be legal for whatever African country I end up going to.
Regards
Garry

DMV, I hope you enjoy your "new" rifle, I hope it shoots well. I like a lot of the older rifles people have forgotten about too. Nothing like wood and metal.
You know it's funny. I'd never heard of Parker Hale. I'm a young man 35 years of age. But when I saw this rifle I knew there was something special about it. When I got home and started researching it I was surprised to find out the history behind the name. Made me enjoy my purchase even more. Then I discovered another rifle a few weeks later a Gibbs in 270 cal. Which was a rifle produced by the gentleman who acquired Parker Hale and we're involved in another company called Navyarms hear in America. I think I paid maybe 250$ for that one. It looks new maybe only test fired. It was buried underneath several other rifles in a very large pawn shop, so it had been sitting awhile, and such I was able to negotiate a great price. Went home very happy that day !

7x57 will be good for RSA and Namibia. A good 375 H&H would go nicely with this caliber. I can tell you eland, waterbuck and zebra are tough animals. And I would not attempt a giraffe with anything small.

bell-at-corriemoillie__rigby.jpg

A favorite of Mr W. D. M. Bell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg