.270 ? 7x57 ? Or 30-06 ?

Reiver25

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
British Association for Shooting and Conservation
Hi
I currently use a CZ 550 .270 for deer stalking here in Scotland and my homeloads with Hornady 130gr SST's have performed well on species up to red deer.
I have seen the same model of rifle in 7X57 and in excellent condition as well as an old model BSA again in 7x57 and the bore is as new. The .30-06 is a John Dickson and Son Parker Hale in very good order again with an excellent bore.
All have iron sights intact and as I homeload I'm not worried about availability of factory rounds.
My main question is that I've seen some outfitters insisting on 7mm being minimum calibre for plains game and would I be better to get a different rifle now so I can build up confidence on local species before going overseas ?
My plan is to go to Africa one day which is a long way from now and will probably be a cull hunt as I will be hunting on a tight budget.
Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Garry

Hi

I am a 270 fan and have shot a ton of plains game with it including eland with it.

The 7x57 is one of my favorite Bushveld calibers but might be a bit to slow if you planning to take some of long shots at game.

I think the 30-06 would be a better bet.

There is no plains game animal the 30-06 cant take down.

If I were you I would load it with Hornady GMX/Barnes X and not worry that you are under gunned or need a 7 mm.

Shoot what your most comfortable and confident in.

Your 270 would be fine for most plains game. Rmember shot placement is
Most important so the rifle you shoot best with is the one to take. If you think you would be doing a cull hunt head shots with a 270 will do the job.

Roan gave you good advice. Leave the explosive SST's at home or reserve them for baboon and other vermin

All very good calibers. For an overall gun you can shoot many species of game in the world with as well as supply of ammo, I'd go with 30.06

They all have a great track record for plains game. My personal preference is the 30-06 but on my first hunt in Namibia I happen to go into a hunting store and 270 was prominant on the ammo shelf. If they trusted it, you can.

My memory may be off here, but I thought the minimum legal caliber in Namibia was 7mm? If so, unfortunately the .270 would be off limits.

They recommend a 7mm or bigger in Namibia. Any of the above calibers will get the job done with good bullets and proper placement.

kinda amazed this is still going.....just take your .270 put the bullet in the right place and thats it.

130 TTSX .270 Thick skinned Giraffe at 80 yards. One in the heart (typical shot placement) and the other into the heart lungs after a departure up hill. Down within 50 yards.

What Spike said!
IMG_2859.jpg

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ring-more-than-a-270.26181/page-6#post-274956

If a 130 grain .270 Win can do the job, I think you should be just fine.

Exit
IMG_1076.jpg

Evidence in the boiler room.

IMG_1081.jpg

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/minimum-caliber-for-zebra.25988/page-3#post-262726

Kinda have to go with Witold. 7x57 would be a very good calibre to use. Not sure if I would want to push shots past 300yds on thicker skinned game but should do the job very well under that range as long as you do your part. Again it comes down to what you're comfortable shooting. PH's will try to get you as close as possible (depending on the situation of course) so longer shots are not the "norm".

Thanks for all the advice, it's now between the 7x57 or 30-06. I put in an offer for the Dickson but it wasn't accepted and I was certainly not paying £595 for it when I've seen the same model in .270 for £249 !
I've seen a used Winchester 70 xtr synthetic stock, mounts and open sights and a Musgrave 98 in unfired condition complete with mounts, one of my work rifles is a Winchester 70 featherweight in 7mm Rem Mag so I know the action and was wondering how the Musgrave 98 auctioned rifles are thought of as they are rare here in Scotland ?
Thanks
Garry

I've never heard anyone split hairs about the difference between a .270 or 7mm in Africa. In my experience in RSA if they didn't own a .308W they had a .270. On private land it won't make any difference if the owner doesn't mind.
Take your .270. You know it backwards.

... but if you need an excuse buy the .30-06. CRF Parker Hale actions are perfect for hard hunting in Africa and that little extra Whomp downrange won't hurt.

For tradition the 7x57 or in british Islands a 275 Rigby. The 30/06 is always a great choice. I have never liked the 270, but that is just me. It all boils down to shot placement. Any one of your 3 choices will the job at hand, just stalk close and put one in the boiler room.

Greetings Mates
I saw Parker Hale and had to chime in. Hear in America I came across a PH rifle on the used rack in a local shop and picked it up for maybe 300$ or so. In America in certain parts of the country rifles are very inexpensive to purchase

What a beautiful rifle. Hear in America alot of times rifles like this are overlooked because the younger generation are into tactical Assault weapons. Probably a young man came a traded this in for a cheap AR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg