.264 WM

publius

AH member
Reaction score
I have a Win M70 barely used in 264. Am getting 3550 with a 100gr. Barnes TTSX with no pressure signs. RL 22. Would this be good for plains game?

I have a Win M70 barely used in 264. Am getting 3550 with a 100gr. Barnes TTSX with no pressure signs. RL 22. Would this be good for plains game?

Small plains game, sure.

I’d like a little more bullet weight personally. Something closer to 130-147 grains would be my personal aim.

In my experience Barnes TTSX bullets tend to punch above their weight. So, a 30 caliber 150 grain tends to be as effective as a 180 grain non-premium bullet. But….a 100 grain bullet, regardless of the design, is a very small bullet for plains game. Maybe the tiny ones like Steinbok, but then at 3550 fps I’d worry about blowing them up. I recommend a 120 grainer at a slower speed.

Lots of people are using a 6.5CM for hunting in Africa, but most of the bullet weights are 120 grain and up. The 264WM is a big brother to the CM with more powder, speed and therefore energy. It would be wise to use a premium bonded or mono-metal bullet to hold together at these velocities. Highly recommend the Barnes TTSX 120 grain, if you can find them. Should be good up to Kudu and Gemsbok (~650#) at less than 200 yards with proper shot placement.

100Gr is too light, in my experience. I’ve taken an impala with a .264 Winchester Magnum (rifle was a pre ‘64 Winchester Model 70). But I was using 140Gr Nosler Partitions. One broadside heart shot behind the shoulder. The photo is on this forum.

Used 120 TTSX in a 6.5CM, it punched completely through on a good size black bear. Given what I have seen in Africa you should punch through most PG with the exception of the bigger animals Blues on up, it will still kill them.

I'll just say shooting the 264 shot placement will be key.

All I shoot out of my M70 264 is factory 130 Grain Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond.

@One Day... used a 257 Weatherby on a number of plains game - some not so small - with a 100 gr Barnes. (He also used a 340.)

I think the 120 Barnes (with better SD) in your 264 WM would be the better choice - assuming shot placement is excellent, and the shooter is capable. Anything under 7mm probably should be discussed in advance with your PH/Outfitter, though.

I have used 264 WM with 140 grain Nosler partitions on 7-8 Wyoming elk averaging 200 yard shots. One shot kills. That should cover most plains game.

Love the 264 with 140’s

If you can find 140 gr GMX that would be my choice. It will stabilize in a 1/9” twist and penetrate very well. I haven’t used it but it was recommended by a very well known gun writer when I asked about using a 264WM for elk. Keep shots less than 300 and nothing should get too far away.

Used a 264 for several years, favorite load was the 125 partition. Took it elk hunting one year, loaded 140 partitions. Great cartridge

What a great rifle in a great caliber. I wouldn't go lower than 120g with a TTSX or 140g with an A-Frame or Partition. All will do you very well.

I use 140gr Nosler Acubond at 2950 in my 264. It is an old sako. Awesome rifle and have shot everything up to wildebeest with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,