2600 fps "cut off point" for DRT behaviour?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading on the side line for a long time. As Madis wrote earlier i find the forum very sober. I like the way people share their experience and curiosity.

About the subject - Nathan Forster never wrote that 2600 fps would be a cut off for DRT behaviour. Noor did i write that hydrostatic shock causes istant death.

Just to clarify: Hydrostatic Shock means:
- Hydro = water
- Static = electrical interference (not as suggested earlier in this threat something lacking motion)

It is fluid particles between the hide and the ribcage accelerated as a shock wave by a strking bullet caused by the energy transfer. This schock wave interrupts the electrical signals send between the brain and the spine causing the animal to lose consciousness. This effect makes the hunter believe that the animal is DRT... in reality the animal is knocked unconsciouss and bleeds to death before it can recover.

Hydrostatic shock occours as a general rule at impact velocities above 2600fps (it depends on caliber and bullet design)

It is very important to understand that the kenetic energy a bullet carries only exists as a potential. If the bullet by design, impact velocity, target resistance etc. fails to expand or fragment it will not be able to transfer the potential energy. This is why some bulets, calibers, velocity combinations works perfectly on some species and fail to do so on other.

What Nathan Forster stresses is the importance of delivering what I call "Rifle Effect". The rifle effect is what seperates the rifle from handguns - in short velocity! Here the general cut off point is 2000 fps unless you are using frangible bullets (ELD-M, TMK etc.). If a tough bullet drops below 2000fps you will often see a dramatical drop in performance because the wounding gradualy approaches the performance of a handgun. So why is it 2000 fps?

2000 fps is the general cut off point for initiating Hydraulic Shock (not to be confused with hydrostatic shock). Hydraulic Shock is rifle effect - this is the effect that seperates rifles from handguns - caused by velocity.

If using monolythic bullets as Barnes TSX/TTSX, Horandy GMX etc. the above cut off point may be as high as 2400 fps due to the very tough bullet design that prrevents it from expanding and transfering it's energy when velocity drops.

What Nathan Forster whants is fast killing. To be sure an animal is DRT one must aim for the CNS - that be the brain, neck og auotomus plexus. However the primary target zone for the hunter should be the fast bleeding organs - lungs, lever, heart in that order. The heart is not the fastest bleeding organ as many mistakenly think. A heart shot animal can run up to 300 meters...

The lungs are the biggets organ of the three. They consists of very soft and easy destroyable tissue and a lot of blood flows through them. It is a large target - also horizontal wich makes it forgiving due to wind drift errors.

If the hunter uses a caliber and bullet of sound design, matched the animal and shooting distance the hydraulic shock will secure a large wound channel through the lungs. The best way to observe this is by meassuring the diameter of the wound/bruising. This should be at least twice the size of the expanded caliber and preferably more. In soft tissue (lungs) wounds from a 308W with a soft bullet design can be as big 7.5" in diameter. The wound will be caused by the mechanical / direct contact between the bullets and the tissue. This also covers bullet and bone fragments. Further more the wound channel will consists for the temporary portion wich is causes by the indirect contact - also called hydraulic shock. This is what Nathan Forster refers to as "disproportionat to caliber wounding" - meaning the wound channe being larger than the expanded caliber.

In civil terms hydraulic shock is refered to as "water hammer effect". The best way to understand the phenomenen is to first slowly drop your hand into water and next slam it has hard as you can. Wich of the two heart the most? This also gives one the idea of the realtionship between penetration and velocity. Many people mistankenly thinks that lower velocity equals less penetration and higher velocity deeper penetration - but it is the other way around. A bullet that fails to expand due to low impact velocity will not be able to transfer its energy - therefor it will penetrate deeper.

To sum it up - Nathan do not seek DRT behaviour noor does he chase hydrostatic shock. He is just describing it as being one of the effects of terminal ballistics.

On the other hand he stresses the importans of hydraylic shock and pleads that hunters matches the caliber, bullet weight, design, impact velocity and expected target resistance with 90% of the species you are hunting. If you fall out for the 90% the hunter must be very very thorgough with bullet placement.

As an example I hunt a lot in Germany, culling fallow and roe deer (does and calfs). More than 90% of the animals I shoot is within these two species and sizes. Sometimes an opportunity occours to take red deer or hogs - both of them may weigh up to 150-200 kg. Never the less I still use my 6.5x55 with a 147gr Dynamic Research Tech. bullet because it works so well within the 90% rule on the distances I am are able to shoot at. Is it too small for a large boar or stack - yes propably! Can it be done? deffently with all my focus being on bullet placement.

This last rule of thumb is my best advice when chossing, rifle, caliber and bullet.

Another examble is from Africa. Several of my friends go culling on large farm in Namibia twice a year. All of them shoot 308W wich by definition is to small for african hunting. But when asked what they would primarily be hunting they answered oryx and blesbuck. Single eland and hartebeest could be taken out as well - but would fall in to the lasst 10% Given that the weight of the primarely hunted species are no bigger than scandinavian red deer -and after learning from their experiences from previous trips I suggested loading their 308W with 180gr Nosler Partitions. This has proved to be very very effective - so effective that the PH on the farm now recomends this combination. But again when encountering a large animal as an eland the hunter must show exceptional disciplin and be very thorough with bullet placement.

As a closing comment I will say that I have no shares in Nathan Forsters business. I do work professionaly with external and terminal ballistics, and in that perspective I find his work very interesting and thorough. I am really not trying to lecture people in here since I have the outmost respect for experience in general. I do know though that termimal ballistics is complicated to understand and therefor a lot of misconceptions occour caused by confirmation bias and/or things just taken out of context.

I hope the above have been informative and that I haven't offended anyone. I fo so it has never been my intention.

All the best!

J.

Some very smart people here providing a wealth of information. I always found it interesting to study such things but unfortunately the animals never read any of it :). But with all that overwhelming information, I prefer to use a cartridge/bullet combination that I believe can reach vitals regardless of how the animal is facing. I also want it to exit, leave a good blood trail and I limit my shots to under 300 yards (prefer much less). I have found some animals are DRT from a kill shot and some run; there seems to be no consistent reason as to when or why. If the animal doesn't want to go down immediately, I keep shooting until it understands I am serious.

Safe shooting!

Some very smart people here providing a wealth of information. I always found it interesting to study such things but unfortunately the animals never read any of it :). But with all that overwhelming information, I prefer to use a cartridge/bullet combination that I believe can reach vitals regardless of how the animal is facing. I also want it to exit, leave a good blood trail and I limit my shots to under 300 yards (prefer much less). I have found some animals are DRT from a kill shot and some run; there seems to be no consistent reason as to when or why. If the animal doesn't want to go down immediately, I keep shooting until it understands I am serious.

Safe shooting!
I am with you. I could care less about DRT, but care a lot about penetration along with some damage along the way. Should a bit of residual energy in whatever form get expended beyond the target - then so much the better. Particularly if I am shooting something somewhere without a San tracker standing by.

I’ve seen pretty spectacular results with lightly-constructed bullet up close at high velocity. Which is fine in certain controlled circumstances like shooting whitetail at home
Where I have essentially endless opportunities to wait for the right shot and range is generally close enough that I could as easily kill them by dropping a cinder block on its head.

Africa is a different situation. Never know what exactly is going to be the quarry nor what exactly is going to be the situation. What I do know is a tough bullet like a TSX is going to make it to the vitals and take care of business.

I can make it to work in a Ferrari or an F150 but only one is going to allow me to stop at Home Depot on the way home and pick up 10 sheets of plywood if my plans change.

I’ve seen pretty spectacular results with lightly-constructed bullet up close at high velocity. Which is fine in certain controlled circumstances like shooting whitetail at home
Where I have essentially endless opportunities to wait for the right shot and range is generally close enough that I could as easily kill them by dropping a cinder block on its head.

Africa is a different situation. Never know what exactly is going to be the quarry nor what exactly is going to be the situation. What I do know is a tough bullet like a TSX is going to make it to the vitals and take care of business.

I can make it to work in a Ferrari or an F150 but only one is going to allow me to stop at Home Depot on the way home and pick up 10 sheets of plywood if my plans change.
And where do they put the trailer hitch on those Italian things? :unsure:

It varies shot by shot. I've shot a lot of game (elk, deer, javelina, 7 black bears) with my 270. None of the animals have gone far (most was an elk went about 30 yards after I hit him behind the shoulder at 400 yards> I attribute my success primarily to the 150g Partitions I load. That being said, my son hit a large feral hog that started trotting towards us at about 10 yards in the eye, killed it, but it kept walking towards us for a few steps. I hit a slightly smaller one (about 400 lbs) with a 570g TSX at 2300 fps from my 500 Jeffery at 8 feet between the eyes. The bullet exited his right ham.. Needless to say the difference was dramatic. Speed isn't everything

lTcDfqr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a measure of respect for Nathan Foster's experience and opinions. However, I have used my 7mm RM with Nosler 160s on a number of bull elk and NONE of them were DRT - even with excellent bullet placement at velocities over 2600 fps. They have all run - from 50 to 200 yards.

If 2000 or even 2600 FPS is need for "hydro static" of more properly termed "hydraulic pressure" to work, then why is a 357 magnum more effective than a 38 special when they both use the same bullets, the only difference is the 357 mag is a bit faster

DRT? All you need is a premium grade bullet in an approprate caliber for the species in the right place and that is that......excess velocity is or should ot be part of the formula....
African game anyway.....

I apologize, I ran short of time and didn't read every post. I don't believe in a magic DR T round, but in my experience around 2600 fps IS where you start having half a bushel of bloodshot meat. Use a .358 Win with a 250 grn bullet at 2400 fps, they go down most riki tik and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.

It varies shot by shot. I've shot a lot of game (elk, deer, javelina, 7 black bears) with my 270. None of the animals have gone far (most was an elk went about 30 yards after I hit him behind the shoulder at 400 yards> I attribute my success primarily to the 150g Partitions I load. That being said, my son hit a large feral hog that started trotting towards us at about 10 yards in the eye, killed it, but it kept walking towards us for a few steps. I hit a slightly smaller one (about 400 lbs) with a 570g TSX at 2300 fps from my 500 Jeffery at 8 feet between the eyes. The bullet exited his right ham.. Needless to say the difference was dramatic. Speed isn't everything

View attachment 412914
That’s a big hog. Where’d you get him at?

Private high fence ranch in western colorado. Owner imported some Russian boars, they got loose and mated with the local pigs, the place is overrun with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg