.257 Roberts

I'd rather not say until it's done and out there! ;) Should slightly exceed the Wby but in a smaller package.
@C.W. Richter
Midway was to bring an old cartridge back to life and add a few mods of my own. I succeeded in my aim and exceeded my velocity expectations with powders like superformance.
If you would like to PM me we can discuss wildcat and I have blackells load from a disc that I might be able to help with load info.
Bob

I haven't had the tremendous gains marketed in trying out superformance. In fact, i was so disappointed in their claims (on the packaging) for .22-250 improvements that's it's been sitting on the shelf for years-untouched after the -300 fps results over my pet load using AA. LOL I wasted all that time and $ for nothing other than to be able to share this information here. The latest-greatest thing is often marketing pixie dust-sorry to say, but I believe in the truth! For 50-70 gr size cases, IMR cannot be beat. For smaller 30-40 gr cases, AA is the way to go, and larger 80-105s-H, IMR or RL. Sometimes RLs can outperform, typically give marginal V increases, but the group size typically suffers, but 22 works wonders in big .338s. Also using a LMR primer instead of std can add some zip on .22-.25 cases. CCI typ has the smallest SD, so it's most consistent. 'Been at it my entire life and have other wildcats based on the same cases, so i know generally what it's going to like. With a few exceptions, bullet companies need to make bullets, powder companies-powder, and firearms mfrs-guns IMHO.

FYI, Kimber and Montana Rifle Co both make very nice Win Mdl 70 clones in 257 Roberts.
'Picked up the Montana on the cheap with an AAA stock and re-barreled to 757 Improved as I already had a Paul Jaeger .257 Improved. After a bedding/trigger job and repair of the safety (a previous butcher filed the sear but not the safety (all inter-related-must be "timed" on a M70 action), so the safety would get stuck after a few shots.) Son has a Montana too and loves it!

bob,
i would not use a 25 on zebra, based on my experience with a 25/06 on horses and donkeys.
a perfect shot would do the job mostly, but perfect shots can never be guaranteed.
that said i would also not use a 30/06 0n the same game also based on experience.
that said, in those days barnes did not exist.
maybe the 30/06 might be ok with them.
i add that i work hard for instant kills, and will not abide scratching things down.
bruce.

.257Rob is a great round, however as others have said the ammo can be hard to find when you need it.

If you have already purchased the reloading supplies then the battle is won!

Nosler factory 110gr Accubond ammo is $52.00 per box of 20 if you can find it in stock; now consider if you have brass already - with the same 110gr Accubond bullet you can load your own ammo for $18.00 per box or Hornady Interlocks @ $11.00 per 20.

Since you already acquired a supply of both brass & quality projectiles you would be looking at $5.00 per 20 rounds for powder and primers to load your own.

If you looking for a rifle, I would aim for one of the Kimber stainless 84's; buddy of mine got one in .257Rob for his 14yo sons first deer rifle and topped it with a Leupold 4-14x40 with 110gr Nosler Accubonds and it's one hell of a combination.

Bell used a .256 extensively for meat production per "Wanderings".
Which, is actually a 6.5mm (much better SD bullet.) i.e. 256 Newton, etc. Bore diameter of a .264 is 0.256"

In process of saving for Africa (you know how that goes). I ran into an older gentleman getting out of reloading. I bought plenty that I could use for pennies on the dollar. Dies, bullets, powder, primers, etc.

However, he had a box labeled 257 Roberts. In the box there was a Redding 3 die 257 Roberts set, 200 plus pieces of brass (some virgin some once fired) and about 600 premium hunting bullets (Nosler, Speer Grand Slams, etc,) . Turns out some misguided soul bought his 257 and didn't want the reloading stuff. He said I could have it all for $75. So its mine.

I always wanted a 257 and this seemed like a way to back into one. I was thinking about attempting to build one with a Howa 1500 short action. My gunsmith maintains that the Howa short action is really an intermediate action and would be perfect for the build.

Not sure I am going forth with the project but I am doing the research.

Any thoughts?
Have a friend who swore by that caliber for whitetail. He was a ranch hand and shot tons of deer with his over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!