250 Savage

I believe Wyatt Smith posted here awhile back, an original advertisement for the new “Savage .250-3000. Powerful enough for every game animal in the world” or something to that effect. I WANT ONE in a double rifle! Ha! Ha!

I believe Wyatt Smith posted here awhile back, an original advertisement for the new “Savage .250-3000. Powerful enough for every game animal in the world” or something to that effect. I WANT ONE in a double rifle! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Young Mr Smith is in the process of building a 25/303 on a No4 SMLE. It should surpass the 250 Savage and be closer to the 257 Roberts. He is using an Australian sportco barrel 1 in 12 twist and 25 inches.
I hope he writes a report on it when he is done. It should even handle the 117grain Hornaday roundnose. That would make it great for deer as well.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Young Mr Smith is in the process of building a 25/303 on a No4 SMLE. It should surpass the 250 Savage and be closer to the 257 Roberts. He is using an Australian sportco barrel 1 in 12 twist and 25 inches.
I hope he writes a report on it when he is done. It should even handle the 117grain Hornaday roundnose. That would make it great for deer as well.
Bob
Nice! Can't wait to read about it. Wonder where you'd find reloading dies for that wildcat?

I'm also very fond of the .25-20 I’ve got a Remington takedown pump I carried a lot trapping unfortunately I deprecated the stock of ammunition dad had for it when I was younger and becouse .25 caliber handguns are prohibited in Canada I can’t import any.

has anyone ever seen a handgun chambered for .25-20? Although lack of facts has never stopped our government from banning firearms before.

There’s got to be a way. Have you talked to your provincial firearms officer? What about reloading?

I'm also very fond of the .25-20 I’ve got a Remington takedown pump I carried a lot trapping unfortunately I deprecated the stock of ammunition dad had for it when I was younger and becouse .25 caliber handguns are prohibited in Canada I can’t import any.

has anyone ever seen a handgun chambered for .25-20? Although lack of facts has never stopped our government from banning firearms before.
I've never read about a .25-20 in any revolver? Years ago I knew a guy who had a Winchester 94 in .25-20. His dad used to hunt deer with it and then passed it to him. We found a box of ammo for it and shot it up in the mountains one day. No recoil, but I wouldn't hunt deer with it. It had something like a 87gr. bullet and the velocity was pretty benign.

I've never read about a .25-20 in any revolver? Years ago I knew a guy who had a Winchester 94 in .25-20. His dad used to hunt deer with it and then passed it to him. We found a box of ammo for it and shot it up in the mountains one day. No recoil, but I wouldn't hunt deer with it. It had something like a 87gr. bullet and the velocity was pretty benign.

If there was, I’ve never come across one.

There’s got to be a way. Have you talked to your provincial firearms officer? What about reloading?
My gunsmith is in contact with the cfo to see if we can import some but at this time it doesn’t look possible. Unfortunately I didn’t save the brass as I used it.

@Catahoula Fella I know, by the name of John Bissell, wrote an article approximately twenty years back about his bullet experience with Hornady and Sierra in .243 and .308. He found that the Hornady Interlock bullets he used (for private hunting and control of red deer and pigs) were equivalent in hardness and performance to the next weight up in the Sierra Pro Hunter range. Specifically, the .243 87 gr Hornady soft point Interlock was equivalent to the .243 100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter. The same applied with the.308 Hornady soft point Interlock and the .308 Sierra Pro Hunter.

I suspect that a similar relationship would apply to the .257 87gr Hornady Interlock and .257 100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter projectiles.

John still hunts for recreation and writes articles to help new hunters but these days spends more time managing at his computer than out in the field.

Have fun with your new toy and remember ... the missus always knows when you get another firearm! :D It is simply a matter of whether or not she tells you that she knows!
that has not been my experience.
hornady and sierra in same calibre/weight soft points have always performed on the same page.
and this includes 87 and 100 gn 25 cal.
bruce.

Nice! Can't wait to read about it. Wonder where you'd find reloading dies for that wildcat?
Lee had them in stock. I have 20 brass primed for a test load (41 grains of 4350 behind a 100 SGK)
I even have some properly head stamped brass.
I am super excited about the rifle. Which reminds me that I need to text the Smith.

Lee had them in stock. I have 20 brass primed for a test load (41 grains of 4350 behind a 100 SGK)
I even have some properly head stamped brass.
I am super excited about the rifle. Which reminds me that I need to text the Smith.
Awesome! If/when you get a chance, please post a photo of the rifle and cartridge. I love those wildcatted cartridges!

Maybe some of us could mail him some brass inside a fruit cake for Christmas?

well when the 250 savage rimmed comes out you can have a double in that.
here is a great marketing opportunity.
i remember seeing savage ads suggesting it was good for tigers and grizzly bears, both the 250 and the 22 hp.
bruce.

i remember seeing savage ads suggesting it was good for tigers and grizzly bears, both the 250 and the 22 hp.
bruce.
I forgot about the rimmed cartridge for a double? But what about an O/U? I saw this advertisement for an ‘06 at a local gun shop:

544E8CEF-03C3-47FD-9098-8934A2A90B22.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about the rimmed cartridge for a double? But what about an O/U? I saw this advertisement for an ‘06 at a local gun shop:
Have the barrels rebored to .35 caliber and Bob has an O/U .35 Whelen? Ha! Ha!

bruce.
Here ya go! Need look no further than the 250-3000 in a Sav '99 lever gun. One caliber-one rifle for all your needs on safari :)

250-3000 ad.png

look at the horrible drop at heel on those savages.
they look like something from the neolithic age.
bruce.
More of an issue for shortarses, given how low you can mount a scope. Personally, a peep sight would work quite nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiloHardem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross