22-250 for monkey, baboon and small cat

Even with his faults and all his tractors
Lol! :LOL:
well, we both divorced/dumped any faults we may have had.
As far as the tractors go…I have 5 tractors. I need one more so I have an even number :E Laugh:
He will not ever catch my 200+ shoe collection however;)
(My gun collection also keeps growing as his is somehow dwindling) :E Angel:

Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX produce a very explosive bullet if you can keep them in the low 3000fps they may not exit. Never had on exit on a coyote with the 50 or 55 gr Hornady SX but for a Fox not the case. I never shot my 22 250 greater than 3500 FPS with either a 50 or 55 gr…never saw a need. And accuracy was better…why burn the barrel for speed? Those mentioned are the older lead core bullets for speeds under 3500 fps

Lol! :LOL:
well, we both divorced/dumped any faults we may have had.
As far as the tractors go…I have 5 tractors. I need one more so I have an even number :E Laugh:
He will not ever catch my 200+ shoe collection however;)
(My gun collection also keeps growing as his is somehow dwindling) :E Angel:
@Just Gina
Start worrying if Bob's shoe collection starts growing and starts including sparkling ones.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I used 69 gr match kings on a recent Prarie dog shoot to help buck the wind. Out to 450 yards they performed well with respect to the wind but lacked the explosive effect of the v-maxs being used by others. For meat harvesting they might work well if they will stabilize in your rifle.

Most 22 250 rifles are 1 in 14 twist. In todays market what a shame with so many excellent heavier bullets in the 22 category…I have two in 14 twist limited to 55 gr. And two in 8 twist for the 75 gr. The 8 twist with 55 gr rifles are fantastic and unbelievably accurate with speed under 3500 FPS. Why the industry still use 14 twist in 22 250 is crazy. Once you experience a 22 250 with a 75 gr you will see what it can do

Most 22 250 rifles are 1 in 14 twist. In todays market what a shame with so many excellent heavier bullets in the 22 category…I have two in 14 twist limited to 55 gr. And two in 8 twist for the 75 gr. The 8 twist with 55 gr rifles are fantastic and unbelievably accurate with speed under 3500 FPS. Why the industry still use 14 twist in 22 250 is crazy. Once you experience a 22 250 with a 75 gr you will see what it can do
The fast twist are in 22CM, which is damn near a 22-250. Manufacturers don't like to change is what it amounts to, along with demand.

Has anyone tried the barnes varmint grenade? Once back quite a few years ago when I was still a young teen my dad had about 125 ac of catfish ponds. I used a 36 gr varmint grenade at somewhere around 4400 fps from a 22-250 on a blue heron 60 yds away. It was facing straight at me and the bullet did not exit tho it turned the body to jelly.

Has anyone tried the barnes varmint grenade? Once back quite a few years ago when I was still a young teen my dad had about 125 ac of catfish ponds. I used a 36 gr varmint grenade at somewhere around 4400 fps from a 22-250 on a blue heron 60 yds away. It was facing straight at me and the bullet did not exit tho it turned the body to jelly.
@Close Range
The little varmit grenade works well in the 222 as well and the 30gn varmit grenade designed for the 22 hornet works well on rabbit and fox at over 3,000fps.
Bob

Used them years ago, but think the vmax were cheaper so used them. They had a very cool ad in the magazine's, showed a vg completely opens when hitting a grape.

Used them years ago, but think the vmax were cheaper so used them. They had a very cool ad in the magazine's, showed a vg completely opens when hitting a grape.
@TroyF
I stopped using the varmit grenade for the same reasons. The video of it hitting a grape was great to watch.
The 40g VMAX is extremely accurate in my 22K Hornet.
Bob

Same here. Just couldn’t justify paying double when the vmax worked so good. But what I did notice is I could kill multiple light framed creatures if they were lined up with the vmax where as the vg would transfer 100% to the inside of the first one.

Same here. Just couldn’t justify paying double when the vmax worked so good. But what I did notice is I could kill multiple light framed creatures if they were lined up with the vmax where as the vg would transfer 100% to the inside of the first one.
the vg would blow up squirrels, the vmax would just start opening when it left a squirrel.

Hope that was longer than statute of limitations while ago. :oops: ;)

Good morning all!

I recently picked up a 22-250 just because I've always found it to be an interesting caliber and one came available at the store my wife works at. She called me, and it was mine before the sun set! I took it to the range and after I saw the accuracy (It's Tikka T3x 1/14 twist and I was shooting 55 grain FB tipped Nosler Varmageddons through the same hole at 100 yards, just making it slightly bigger each time, but never larger than a quarter) my mind started wondering "Now that you have this and can shoot it very well, can I take it to Africa?". I contacted my PH and he said it would make a hum-dinger for monkey, baboon and small cat. So, my question for you all is: Do you know of any factory ammo that wouldn't hurt the pelt on these types of animals too badly? Should I be looking for any specific type of bullet, such as ballistic tipped, FB, hollow point, FMJ, etc? Any info would be appreciated, and thank you for your help!
I have a .22-250 in a TC Encore rifle. Using 55 gr. Nosler Balistic Tips and 39 gr. of IMR 4350 I get about 3600 fps. I've only used it to take two animals, a ground squirrel at 165 yards, and a coyote at about 75 yards. The load was a little hard on the squirel leaving a pretty big exit hole, it was a squirel after all. I hit the coyote in the ribs and it just left a tiny hole at the exit. I would guess the hole was caused by the copper base. The dog was a big male and the hide was pretty, is I skinned it, had the hide tanned and it hangs next to my gun safe. Neither critter was splattered or blown in half.

I would think that it would be fine choice for the animals that you listed, but it would not be my choice for impala or anything bigger.
Good morning all!

I recently picked up a 22-250 just because I've always found it to be an interesting caliber and one came available at the store my wife works at. She called me, and it was mine before the sun set! I took it to the range and after I saw the accuracy (It's Tikka T3x 1/14 twist and I was shooting 55 grain FB tipped Nosler Varmageddons through the same hole at 100 yards, just making it slightly bigger each time, but never larger than a quarter) my mind started wondering "Now that you have this and can shoot it very well, can I take it to Africa?". I contacted my PH and he said it would make a hum-dinger for monkey, baboon and small cat. So, my question for you all is: Do you know of any factory ammo that wouldn't hurt the pelt on these types of animals too badly? Should I be looking for any specific type of bullet, such as ballistic tipped, FB, hollow point, FMJ, etc? Any info would be appreciated, and thank you for your help!

Good morning all!

I have a .22-250 in a TC Encore rifle. Using 55 gr. Nosler Balistic Tips and 39 gr. of IMR 4350 I get about 3600 fps. I've only used it to take two animals, a ground squirrel at 165 yards, and a coyote at about 75 yards. The load was a little hard on the quirel leaving a pretty big exit hole, it was a squirel after all. I hit the coyote in the ribs and it just left a tiny hole at the exit. I would guess the hole was caused by the copper base. The dog was
What do you guys think about a 25-06 on duikers? Was debating between a 22-250 and it but based on this thread ruling out the 22-250.
In 1983 I shot a common duiker, a stern buck and a jackal with 180 gr. Particians. Just blew nice, neat holes through them. All DRT and no taxidermy problems. The jackal was the smallest, but I had the hide rugged and there is no sign of either bullet hole.

If you are carrying a 22-250 for baboons or other small game, I guarantee a monster eland or kudu will present itself...now if you were carrying something bigger, it would still work for the small stuff, especially with slow expanding bullets; just sayin'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saleh Al Nahdi

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.