22-250 for monkey, baboon and small cat

Congratulations on your purchase. It's probably a great Coyote round. I'm sure you can hunt the species you are interested in.
It wouldn't be my first choice for Africa and I guess each rifle you carry adds to the cost.
A .243 might be a better proposition for small game in Africa.

Congratulations on your purchase. It's probably a great Coyote round. I'm sure you can hunt the species you are interested in.
It wouldn't be my first choice for Africa and I guess each rifle you carry adds to the cost.
A .243 might be a better proposition for small game in Africa.
243 is probably still too fast.

@Just Gina hasn't done a hunt report on it (yet?) but she was a bit obsessed with a woodchuck that was living under and old shed 39 yards from the back deck. (On my list to get rid of)

I seemed to be just tickling the darn thing with a 16 gauge and the 8 shot in it.... Gina asked for something with a scope so I grabbed the 6.5 Manbunn so she become an authority on it like @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ..... had i been thinking i would have gotten out the one and only Whelen that we own :)

I'm any case, it blew the whole back out of that chuck and put most on his life essence on the side of the shed;)

It matters not that it's a bit bigger bullet than a 55 grain .22. What does matter is it's clocking over 2900 fps and that is considerably slower than the 22-250.
IMG-20220703-WA0004.jpg

In Tanzania I killed my Genet with a .22 LR
It was more than enough. It would have been cut in half if I used a .22/250.

Bossie of @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS has often suggested a 30-06 with simple old 220 grain round nose bullets such as the old Remington Core- Lokt.

They are moving slow enough to not blow up the little critters, yet at common ranges in Limpopo and most of Africa, that heavy for caliber bullet will be very effective on even large Plains Game. So you are set for whatever critter steps out.

@Just Gina hasn't done a hunt report on it (yet?) but she was a bit obsessed with a woodchuck that was living under and old shed 39 yards from the back deck. (On my list to get rid of)

I seemed to be just tickling the darn thing with a 16 gauge and the 8 shot in it.... Gina asked for something with a scope so I grabbed the 6.5 Manbunn so she become an authority on it like @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ..... had i been thinking i would have gotten out the one and only Whelen that we own :)

I'm any case, it blew the whole back out of that chuck and put most on his life essence on the side of the shed;)

It matters not that it's a bit bigger bullet than a 55 grain .22. What does matter is it's clocking over 2900 fps and that is considerably slower than the 22-250.
View attachment 474541
I promise a full report with pics!
So glad that pain in the rear is gone!

In Tanzania I killed my Genet with a .22 LR
It was more than enough. It would have been cut in half if I used a .22/250.
@Just Gina
That's why I love the little Hornet. Can be downloaded to 22lr, 22mag or full house hornet. Nice versatile little cartridge.
Bob

I shot my duiker this past June with a 340 Weatherby shooting 225 grain TTSX dropped him where he stood

The picture is on the side that the bullet came out of
20220606_161856.jpg

What do you guys think about a 25-06 on duikers? Was debating between a 22-250 and it but based on this thread ruling out the 22-250.
Same issue, bullet is just moving way to fast. Go with something at least 1000 fps less speed.

And just avoiding bone isn't enough. I shot my first duiker with a 375HH just behind the shoulder (with a soft) and it made a small entrance and exit hole. Then a year later shot a steenbuck salary with the same rifle. But he was quartered and the bullet hit his rumen which was stuffed full of grass. Well it expanded the bullet and blew that rumen out through a rumen sized hole....

Those faster bullets are so much more explosive. That is why they blow up in the lungs of a whitetail and drop them on the spot. But on little critters they just blow up the critter!

Well this makes me sad, seems like I already have the perfect gun and lack the excuse to get a new one. But great input and advice.
Do you have a drilling?

No it is actually what I am looking into now. Comment above was thinking more from just a rifle perspective.

Giving my love of bird hunting, this might be a worthwhile investment.

No it is actually what I am looking into now. Comment above was thinking more from just a rifle perspective.

Giving my love of bird hunting, this might be a worthwhile investment.
I plan to take mine for night critters. A shotgun can be just what you need in many cases.

243 is probably still too fast.
Then I guess the OP should just take a .375H&H for all game big and small, just take the required ammo variety.

Some good advice here, I shot a MT Reed with a 223 with 69-70 DRT bullets the land own loaned me as he said my .458win was too heavy to carry all day, well that blow a massive hole in even a Reed Buck so a .22/250 would of been terrible !

those 220gr in the 30/06 are too much also I shot Small Cats & Jackal with mine “no taxidermy” either on them !

I may be missing out, but besides the .22LR and the .22 Hornet (which I don’t yet own) I have never had the desire for a caliber smaller than 6.5. I’ve killed plenty of game big and small with heavy-for-caliber bullets at moderate velocity (2,000-2,500fps) and I’ve never had a critter disintegrate on me—just clean entry holes and (when applicable) clean exit holes.

As I said, I know that quarter-bore-minus fans will tell me that I’m missing out, but I’m a creature of habit and this recipe has never let me down. I guess that popping prairie dogs at 500 yards may not be done as easily with a .22 rimfire or one of my various 6.5x54, 30s, .303, 8mm or .375, but I’m not angry enough at varmint to develop a passion for this type of hunting.

I also don’t do veggies or seafood, so yes, I’m sure I’m living life only partially. :cool:

YES...for feral cats at home, anyone monkeying around robbing your place, and any baboon attempting a home invasion, otherwise--are you really likely to make that caliber one of possibly only two rifles you carry to Africa. Probably not.
+1 on the drilling--then you can get in some bird shooting as well (though your outfitter prob has a loaner even for that)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you