204 bolt action options?

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a friend looking for a 204 bolt action. He is a working stiff so nothing to crazy.

Wandering what would be a good option. Be used for coyotes mostly. Also if any of you guys have anything you might want to part with. Thanks.

Ruger American is another less expensive option and still has an adjustable trigger. Some even come as a package deal with a Vortex scope for just over $700.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1020303713

And don't forget that a MSR would be an option as well. Found this on GB for just over $1K and would be great for coyote and quick follow up shots. Also really good for adding thermal clip-on optics to your scope.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1008171534

Attachments

• NEW RUGER AMERICAN PREDATOR .204 22%22 TB 22 10 204 RUG ODG VORTEX CROSSFIRE - Bolt Action Rif...pdf
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • T 223 Anderson Arms AR MSR 204 Ruger Varmint Target Rifle EZ Buy - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBrok...pdf
    714.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Remington made a 700 with a bull barrel in 204. I have one and it did very well with factory federal ammo. I remember when I first got it I put 7 shots inside a playing card at 500 yards. At the time they weren’t very expensive, not sure if they still make them.

Outlier here, go with a .223. Working stiff budget rifle and ammo. Savage is about as cheapest you can get. Put the money saved on the Ruger to a good scope.

Every 527 I ever shot was a hammer. Hard to believe that CZ dropped it. And that they never made the LH 527 in 6.5 G.

I own a Howa 204 ruger, bull barrel iyts shoots like a lazer.
Should not be expensive.

I have no particular beef one way or the other. But I would question the future of the cartridge. It seems some of the rifle manufacturers have dropped the calibre from their line-up. Probably due to lack of sales than relative effectiveness.

I've also got 2 x Howas in 204 Ruger, a 'Mini' action and a short action heavy barrel - both very accurate, good triggers. I love the cartridge, flat, hard hitting. As @Hunter4752001 mentioned, sadly a few makers are not chambering in it now - including Howa and Tikka AFAIK. :(

I have no particular beef one way or the other. But I would question the future of the cartridge. It seems some of the rifle manufacturers have dropped the calibre from their line-up. Probably due to lack of sales than relative effectiveness.
Luckily I have a local bullet maker making me local mono expaning bullets 32gr and have over 200 pieces of brass should last me a while as I doubt I shoot more than 100 rounds per year with it.

Remington made a 700 with a bull barrel in 204. I have one and it did very well with factory federal ammo. I remember when I first got it I put 7 shots inside a playing card at 500 yards. At the time they weren’t very expensive, not sure if they still make them.
+1
I have one of these as well. Remington 700 SPS Varmint if I remember the model correctly (although it may be discontinued in .204). It's a tack driver with factory ammo or hand loads.
My brother and cousin bought Savage 11's pretty cheap, 1 added an aftermarket stock, and both have extremely good results. I always wanted one of the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint series, until I bought the Remington and couldn't justify another in the same caliber.

The cartridge itself seems to be incredibly accurate, regardless of the rifle brand or price.

Have a Dakota, Remington and a savage in 204, they are all great. But a lifetime supply of brass and bullets and who gives a shit if they all drop it. I personally don’t think it will go away due to the amount of rifles chambered for it

Attachments

• Centerfire Rifles - Deer Hunting & Target Rifles | Savage Arms.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GenaFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?