2024 Double Rifle MSRP's?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I have recently decided to add a DR to the collection for my next purchase and have begun acquiring 500NE ammo for my preferred caliber choice.

One thing I have been having trouble with is determining what these double rifles are actually going for new from the manufacturers, as they don't all seem to readily advertise prices on their respective websites.

I'm hoping to use this post to collect current 2024 prices on a variety of doubles just to get an idea of how they compare to each other. On a side note, does the caliber choice tend to influence the overall price? i.e. will the company charge more for a 500NE model vs a 450/400NE or is it more-so the fit and finish "grades" that dictate that?

For simplicity sake let's include all pricing in USD. Looking for 2024 MSRP's for doubles from the following.

1. Merkel
2. Krieghoff
3. Heym
4. Chapuis
5. Verrney-Carron

And just for the fun of It I'd be interested to know the pricing on the bespoke makes that operate in a different stratosphere from the rest of us mortals.

6. Holland and Holland
7. John Rigby & Co.
8. Westley Richards
9. James Purdey & Sons

A phone call to the importers will usually get you a choice of options and cost associated with the particular rifle model and options that you chose.

I have recently decided to add a DR to the collection for my next purchase and have begun acquiring 500NE ammo for my preferred caliber choice.

One thing I have been having trouble with is determining what these double rifles are actually going for new from the manufacturers, as they don't all seem to readily advertise prices on their respective websites.

I'm hoping to use this post to collect current 2024 prices on a variety of doubles just to get an idea of how they compare to each other. On a side note, does the caliber choice tend to influence the overall price? i.e. will the company charge more for a 500NE model vs a 450/400NE or is it more-so the fit and finish "grades" that dictate that?

For simplicity sake let's include all pricing in USD. Looking for 2024 MSRP's for doubles from the following.

1. Merkel
2. Krieghoff
3. Heym
4. Chapuis
5. Verrney-Carron

And just for the fun of It I'd be interested to know the pricing on the bespoke makes that operate in a different stratosphere from the rest of us mortals.

6. Holland and Holland
7. John Rigby & Co.
8. Westley Richards
9. James Purdey & Sons
I’d say the last four are in the category of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”

I’d say the last four are in the category of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”
Haha yeah I was going to include that. Just wasn't sure if they were the price of a Corvette or a Ferrari these days. I know most, if not all would be well into the 6 figures USD.

1. Merkel
2. Krieghoff
3. Heym
4. Chapuis
5. Verrney-Carron

6. Holland and Holland
7. John Rigby & Co.
8. Westley Richards
9. James Purdey & Sons
Just because I once dared to ask.

In the H&H store, a H&H "round action" in 500 NE, had a tag hanging off it of 85 or 90 K£ when I visited one year ago, but the sales clerk mentioned that it could be had for 65K£.

This one:
Holland & Holland 500NE rounded action (1).jpg

Edit: those prices mentioned did not yet include 21%VAT if I were to want to import them into Continental Europe...

Last edited:
New isn't always the best route. At the same time, buying used...you may end up with someone else's problem.

Double rifle education can be expensive if done after the purchase. You really need to know EXACTLY what you are getting and that's tough. It can take years to acquire the necessary knowledge about what actions work best, who makes them, how to know if there were problems in the past from just a picture...etc. Having a friend with such knowledge would be a big advantage in this area.

Not to mention the regulation process that will be required and range time to do proper testing. It's a big undertaking to have it done correctly. The best deals are from those that have done all this work and are giving up hunting with a DR and have something that you are looking for. I know there are a few AH members out there who may fall into that category.

If it were me, I'd start with my budget and go from there. Have some cartridges in mind but I wouldn't be too concerned about the difference between a 470NE and 500NE because the game is unlikely to know the difference. Better to concern yourself with the inner workings of the firearm and making sure it's safe and reliable...then if the gun is good, look at the cartridge it shoots to see if you are willing to commit to it.

Keep an eye out and best of luck to you.

Just because I once dared to ask.

In the H&H store, a H&H "round action" in 500 NE, had a tag hanging off it of 85 or 90 K£ when I visited one year ago, but the sales clerk mentioned that it could be had for 65K£.

This one:
View attachment 607594

Edit: those prices mentioned did not yet include 21%VAT if I were to want to import them into Continental Europe...
So about $82,000 USD, that's "cheaper" than I would have thought. I was thinking these were closer to 200-300k.

Unless you are looking for a long term investment the price on doubles varies considerably depending on exchange rate, political unrest and so on. Now a vintage double is "beauty to the beholder" also these items get loss/stolen so replacement can be a nightmare. Most decent doubles of current production can be had in the 12K to 23K range, easily replaced

Be sure to handle several different models in both sxs and o/u. I learned I don’t care for any of the sxs over 9.3x74r. I love the o/u. I wanted a stronger cartridge so I ended up with a 458 win mag in an o/u. To me it’s the best feeling gun on the market. In turn I shoot it well. Good luck and have fun sorting out your purchase.

Be sure to handle several different models in both sxs and o/u. I learned I don’t care for any of the sxs over 9.3x74r. I love the o/u. I wanted a stronger cartridge so I ended up with a 458 win mag in an o/u. To me it’s the best feeling gun on the market. In turn I shoot it well. Good luck and have fun sorting out your purchase.
I hadn't really considered an O/U configuration for this purchase, are many available in 500N/E? You never seem to see O/U doubles hunted with in Africa based on what I've been seeing here.

Like to see a few pictures of that rifle if you would be so kind.

A phone call to the importers will usually get you a choice of options and cost associated with the particular rifle model and options that you chose.
Given I’ve now owned 7 I will take a shot at this on the ones I have experience with
Merkle $12,500 new, $8-$10,000 used
Kriegoff $20,000 new, $15-$17,000 used
Chapuis $14,500 new, $9-$12,000 used
Rigby CA no new, $20-$25,000 used
Rigby London two different models. lower priced new model $35-$50,000, Top end starts at $135,000
Heym $25,000 new, $15-$19,000 used

Hope this helps

I've been pretty actively looking for used rifles for a couple years and from what I've seen, the used prices in Rare Breed's post seem a little low. Especially for Heym doubles, of which very few seem to come on the market from what I can find. Admittedly maybe I don't know the best places to look

I'd kill a hobo for a new Heym 500 and a Heym express in 404

Reading this thread, I want to cry!

So about $82,000 USD, that's "cheaper" than I would have thought. I was thinking these were closer to 200-300k.
Be advised that the round action is the base model PH version of the H&H. For a Royal you will be getting closer to that 200K mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonikaAshb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!