1st shot on a Buffalo a Texas heart shot!?

cal

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Scotland

At 8:15 into the video you see J Alain Smith (hunting with Adam Clement) taking his FIRST shot at a Buffalo. Its running directly away from him! He then takes another shot and then narrates "A going away shot is never good on Buffalo".

One guy calls him out in the comments under the video and J Alain replies "Sometimes you gotta take whatever shot they give you. That’s where Sir Alex comes in handy!" Now I'm not sure what he means by the Sir Alex comment but I'm appalled by this shot, the fact that he chose to upload it onto youtube and the way he defends it.

To give you my thoughts on this I have copied and pasted my reply to his comment "I've enjoyed your videos in the past but I'm sorry I completely disagree. You absolutely do not have to "take whatever shot they give you". You wait or work harder to get into a better position to take an ethical first shot. No exceptions. I've hunted all over Africa, I've hunted 4 buffalo in Moyowosi, I'm no anti hunter. By taking that shot you are giving hunting and hunters a bad name, endangering the lives of the people around you and most importantly not giving the old dagga boy the respect he deserves and a quick clean kill. I'm sure Adam gave you a mouthful after that shot. If he didn't he should have! Very disappointing..."

What do you guys think about this?
Sorry, rant over!

I agree with you 100%. I was watching the Gunwerks show a while back (solely because they were in Africa and nothing else was on) and they were in SA with John X Safaris. Other than letting them snipe animals, which I wholeheartedly disagree with, I saw one occurrence that disturbed me. One of the Gunwerks guy’s girlfriend, a first time hunter they allowed, with probably next to 0 shooting experience was encouraged by the PH to shoot a wildebeest (“as it was going to get away” were the words used IIRC) while it was quartered away and on the move (walking). I believe it was over 200 yards. She promptly shot it in the guts and thankfully animal eventually died. Very irresponsible IMO

Another example that comes to mind was Keith Warren’s show (hard to watch regardless of where they’re at) when they took a 50 BMG to Africa. The guy who went with him took a 300+ yd shot on a kudu that was quartered (quartered was a strong word in this instance) away from them.

Both examples were first shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cal
"a going away shot is never good..."
Narration out of his mouth immediately after the shot.
:E Confused:

I really enjoy watching his hunting videos, but he’s probably gotten a bit overconfident in his shooting abilities and African hunting experience. If you watch the first shot the muzzle blast is more to the right of the camera, so he may have had a (running) shot angled into the heart/lung area, obviously none of us were there to be able to see other than what camera shows.

Thats what happens when arseholes are sponsored and they start shooting just for the camera and for the money.....they completely forget what the hunt should be about...

Not sure where both shots went, but one was from looking at the blood, a "Texas Heart Shot." I would not be posting photos or videos of the animal the anywhere. Sometimes, we hunters are our own worst enemy.

Last edited:
"It's tense. It's as tense as it can get" as two trackers go sauntering across the frame. Totally unrelated but that part killed me.
And the PH has his double slinged......"safeties are off...." I hate it when people hunt for the camera.......

Dissapointing, normally like his video's but this is hard to watch but maybe his angle was slightly different than the camera angle, either way the shot should not be taken. But we probably all regret some shots we have taken. One time is a mistake, two times a pattern. Hopefully it ends here. What baffles me the most is to publish the video. Weird decision.

He has to give the sponsors their moneys worth never mind the consequince.....simple shooting for the camera

I agree with you 100%. I was watching the Gunwerks show a while back (solely because they were in Africa and nothing else was on) and they were in SA with John X Safaris. Other than letting them snipe animals, which I wholeheartedly disagree with, I saw one occurrence that disturbed me. One of the Gunwerks guy’s girlfriend, a first time hunter they allowed, with probably next to 0 shooting experience was encouraged by the PH to shoot a wildebeest (“as it was going to get away” were the words used IIRC) while it was quartered away and on the move (walking). I believe it was over 200 yards. She promptly shot it in the guts and thankfully animal eventually died. Very irresponsible IMO

Another example that comes to mind was Keith Warren’s show (hard to watch regardless of where they’re at) when they took a 50 BMG to Africa. The guy who went with him took a 300+ yd shot on a kudu that was quartered (quartered was a strong word in this instance) away from them.

Both examples were first shots.
i cant stand keith warren. in my humble opinion he makes all other hunters look like psychopaths'

i cant stand keith warren. in my humble opinion he makes all other hunters look like psychopaths'
Agreed. Warren seems like an adolescent who cares only about killing and he’s obnoxious and arrogant to boot, also unethical at times IMO. I can handle a few eccentricities from guys like Shockey and Makris but guys like Warren, apparently this Smith gent and a certain double enthusiast, who shall remain nameless, put out a terrible image for the hunting community in general.

Agreed. Warren seems like an adolescent who cares only about killing and he’s obnoxious and arrogant to boot, also unethical at times IMO. I can handle a few eccentricities from guys like Shockey and Makris but guys like Warren, apparently this Smith gent and a certain double enthusiast, who shall remain nameless, put out a terrible image for the hunting community in general.
This is a really huge jump comparing taking a poor shot and walking up on a dead buffalo to “nameless double enthusiast” purposely wounding an animal and glorifying a charge. While I would certainly agree he seems a bit eccentric and disagree with taking this shot, all the hunting I’ve seen him do in his videos is real hunting in wild areas that benefits conservation. A non-hunter wouldn’t recognize this as unethical or damaging to hunting. I have much more issues with other outdoor personalities pushing junk products onto other hunters through their shows and writing and people defending certain “hunting” practices because it’s more affordable.

This is a really huge jump comparing taking a poor shot and walking up on a dead buffalo to “nameless double enthusiast” purposely wounding an animal and glorifying a charge. While I would certainly agree he seems a bit eccentric and disagree with taking this shot, all the hunting I’ve seen him do in his videos is real hunting in wild areas that benefits conservation. A non-hunter wouldn’t recognize this as unethical or damaging to hunting. I have much more issues with other outdoor personalities pushing junk products onto other hunters through their shows and writing and people defending certain “hunting” practices because it’s more affordable.
You are correct. I apologize for lumping Mr. Smith in with MS. I shouldn’t have. Few deserve that honor. I made a rash statement as I’m wont to do. I do have to respectfully disagree with you in that I do see that shot as being wholly unethical.

You are correct. I apologize for lumping Mr. Smith in with MS. I shouldn’t have. Few deserve that honor. I made a rash statement as I’m wont to do. I do have to respectfully disagree with you in that I do see that shot as being wholly unethical.
We don’t disagree. That shot should never have been taken, but it was unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois