1st shot on a Buffalo a Texas heart shot!?

Wishfulthinker580

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
We don’t disagree. That shot should never have been taken, but it was unfortunately.
There I go again. Apologies, I reread your post. We’re in agreement. I agree with your view on those defending certain hunting practices because they are cheaper as well.

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
What a jack wagon. Prime example of a person that cares less about respect when it comes to hunting and is all about what draws a tv audience. Hope his sponsor drops him after this.

Mike Van Horn

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Watching the video it appears as a questionable shot, but than l wasn’t there. It ended in a dead Buffalo without follow up shots so just how questionable was it?
What l have a problem with is fellow hunters bashing another without the facts! I truly thought Africahunting was better than this, but maybe not!!

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
As someone who has filmed some hunts I am not condoning the shot showed but it might have been that the cameraman missed the 1st on the buffalo and they were left with only showing the shots from the back.

His comment about not shooting an animal from the back might have been inserted to make any sense of the video captured. Out of all his videos he makes one mistake and gets bashed for it there are far worse hunters and shows out there.

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
. . . Out of all his videos he makes one mistake and gets bashed for it there are far worse hunters and shows out there.

I suspect you are right about worse. However, they could have easily edited out the bloody ass or at least clean it up.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Watching the video it appears as a questionable shot, but than l wasn’t there. It ended in a dead Buffalo without follow up shots so just how questionable was it?
What l have a problem with is fellow hunters bashing another without the facts! I truly thought Africahunting was better than this, but maybe not!!
How do you know there were no follow up shots?
Just because they did not show any?

Reactions: cal

cal

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Scotland

We don’t know if the buffalo was found dead without follow up shots, as you say, we don’t have the facts. I would guess it is unlikely that no more shots were fired. Having all the facts or not, I am in complete disagreement with him showing the world that it’s ok to take that shot as a first shot on any animal. If it was in fact his second shot and the camera man missed the first for whatever reason he should simply have explained this. If that was indeed his first shot I think it’s fully justifiable to criticize him for it. There are two issues at play here, the hunters actions and what is portrayed to the public. If the camera missed the first shot and they still chose to air the video I’m still in disagreement as it shows hunting in a bad light and sets a bad example for young hunters watching. If the camera did in fact capture the whole hunt then I am in disagreement on both points, the ethics and what was portrayed to the public.

cal

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Scotland
As someone who has filmed some hunts I am not condoning the shot showed but it might have been that the cameraman missed the 1st on the buffalo and they were left with only showing the shots from the back.

His comment about not shooting an animal from the back might have been inserted to make any sense of the video captured. Out of all his videos he makes one mistake and gets bashed for it there are far worse hunters and shows out there.

I agree that is a possibility but in that case a simple explanation would have sufficed. I have watched a few of his other videos and have enjoyed them as I stated in my first post, that is why I am so surprised by this one. And I definitely agree that there are worse hunters out there. But being good in the past and the fact there are others that are worse doesn’t exonerate him from uploading this “mistake”.

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
Anyway I hope someone passes on this post to him and hopefully we will not see something like this again from him.

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV

At 8:15 into the video you see J Alain Smith (hunting with Adam Clement) taking his FIRST shot at a Buffalo. Its running directly away from him! He then takes another shot and then narrates "A going away shot is never good on Buffalo".

One guy calls him out in the comments under the video and J Alain replies "Sometimes you gotta take whatever shot they give you. That’s where Sir Alex comes in handy!" Now I'm not sure what he means by the Sir Alex comment but I'm appalled by this shot, the fact that he chose to upload it onto youtube and the way he defends it.

To give you my thoughts on this I have copied and pasted my reply to his comment "I've enjoyed your videos in the past but I'm sorry I completely disagree. You absolutely do not have to "take whatever shot they give you". You wait or work harder to get into a better position to take an ethical first shot. No exceptions. I've hunted all over Africa, I've hunted 4 buffalo in Moyowosi, I'm no anti hunter. By taking that shot you are giving hunting and hunters a bad name, endangering the lives of the people around you and most importantly not giving the old dagga boy the respect he deserves and a quick clean kill. I'm sure Adam gave you a mouthful after that shot. If he didn't he should have! Very disappointing..."

What do you guys think about this?
Sorry, rant over!
Based on what I know about J, I doubt it was his first shot. Looks like a very challenging area for a camera. Camera guy probably didn’t get a good view of the first shot due to the heat of the moment, high grass and angle. I would give J the benefit of the doubt unless he responds differently. Probably the opposite of “hunting for the camera.” It was a great Buffalo and needed to be shot whether or not they could get the first shot on camera.

DWB

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Lowveld Hunters, BASA
Hunted
South Africa
I was looking at it again, the camera moves from left to right after the shot and then onto J. So it appears he had a sharp quartering away shot from his angle and not a texas heartshot as it appears.

But hey, we all make mistakes and that thick grass can deflect a bullet. He is at least not a frequent cocker upper like some others...

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia

At 8:15 into the video you see J Alain Smith (hunting with Adam Clement) taking his FIRST shot at a Buffalo. Its running directly away from him! He then takes another shot and then narrates "A going away shot is never good on Buffalo".

One guy calls him out in the comments under the video and J Alain replies "Sometimes you gotta take whatever shot they give you. That’s where Sir Alex comes in handy!" Now I'm not sure what he means by the Sir Alex comment but I'm appalled by this shot, the fact that he chose to upload it onto youtube and the way he defends it.

To give you my thoughts on this I have copied and pasted my reply to his comment "I've enjoyed your videos in the past but I'm sorry I completely disagree. You absolutely do not have to "take whatever shot they give you". You wait or work harder to get into a better position to take an ethical first shot. No exceptions. I've hunted all over Africa, I've hunted 4 buffalo in Moyowosi, I'm no anti hunter. By taking that shot you are giving hunting and hunters a bad name, endangering the lives of the people around you and most importantly not giving the old dagga boy the respect he deserves and a quick clean kill. I'm sure Adam gave you a mouthful after that shot. If he didn't he should have! Very disappointing..."

What do you guys think about this?
Sorry, rant over!
Absolutely. I've lost many animals by hesitating because there was no clear shot at the vitals. By the blood splatter around the rear of the buff it seems he hit it up the ass.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Based on what I know about J, I doubt it was his first shot. Looks like a very challenging area for a camera. Camera guy probably didn’t get a good view of the first shot due to the heat of the moment, high grass and angle. I would give J the benefit of the doubt unless he responds differently. Probably the opposite of “hunting for the camera.” It was a great Buffalo and needed to be shot whether or not they could get the first shot on camera.
If that was the case it makes no sense to not mention that fact...turning it then to make as if it was the first shot is....well just stupid. From the footage and what is said I come to the conclusion that it is the first shot...no PH will stand there just putting out the sticks in that terrain especially tall grass, low visibility, how does he know which one is wounded? In that senario(if they were following up a wounded bull) the PH would have his rifle in hand the tracker will have the sticks.......

He shot it in the arse, first shot through the grass, as it is running away, that is the scene.....

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I agree it was not a good decision but it’s easy to pick TV personalities apart and often unfair. Yes they all do stupid things and some of them know little of what they are talking about but the ole armchair quarterbacking gets us no where.
Sir Alex is Alain’s .577 double that he shoots incredibly well.
Philip

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
it”s easy to pick TV personalities apart
Unfortunately, that is the national past time. Whether it be a professional athlete, coach, official, or even the 16 year old high school quarterback, we criticize up to the point that we question why the individual should stay in the human race.

A public person must expect criticisms of their actions. However, the public should not use the criticism to destroy the individual. The public person should have the chance to evaluate the criticism, and then make corrections. Then we as the public get to reevaluate.

A poster that was in my high school English teacher’s classroom.

”Oh Lord let my words be sweet, for I may have to eat them tomorrow.”

Wishfulthinker580

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Unfortunately, that is the national past time. Whether it be a professional athlete, coach, official, or even the 16 year old high school quarterback, we criticize up to the point that we question why the individual should stay in the human race.

A public person must expect criticisms of their actions. However, the public should not use the criticism to destroy the individual. The public person should have the chance to evaluate the criticism, and then make corrections. Then we as the public get to reevaluate.

A poster that was in my high school English teacher’s classroom.

”Oh Lord let my words be sweet, for I may have to eat them tomorrow.”
If you look at the OP again Mr. Smith apparently did evaluate the criticism and responded. His response was somewhat lacking

Reactions: cal

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
I've seen the follow-up shots at the top of the tail into the spine dropping them on the spot and immobilizing for the coup de gras, but not as the initial shot.

shark_za

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Limpopo, KZN, Free State, N-Cape, E-Cape
Cant tell whats happening in the long grass, but what about the first gut shot Topi?

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
I have to say MS is a better shot!

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8live

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.