175gr Nosler Partition in 7x64

@Nevada Mike Any joy with N150 in your 257 Roberts?
Scrumby... no chnce yet - too damn busy I should be able to get something done by mid summer. If I stumble into something that works well, I will post up.

M

GRT works pretty well in my experience, especially with consistent stable powders (Viht, Hodgdon, Alliant/Reloder have all yielded results very close to the GRT prediction)

On the primers - I doubt you'll find more than 10f/s difference with magnum vs std, if that. Which the statisticians would say is 'statistically insignificant'. In other words, use what you like.

I wouldn't bother with crimping either - if you're chasing consistency (which is fundamental to accuracy/repeatability) then crimping is another source of potential error and not so easy to do identically round after round. Basic case prep including annealing and run-out measurement/control is likely to contribute more to accuracy IMO. I am presuming that crimping is being considered for accuracy purposes rather controlling bullet setback.
@Desperatezulu
Problem is if you are using loads up near max with normal primers then magnum primers with the s as me load can put you over the top very quickly. That why they advise reducing powder charge by 5% when changing to the hotter magnum primers.
Bob.

Scrumby... no chnce yet - too damn busy I should be able to get something done by mid summer. If I stumble into something that works well, I will post up.

M
@Nevada Mike
H4350 makes the 257 Roberts giving 3,200fps with 100grainers and close to 3,000 with 115/120 grainers.
Bob

@Scrumbag
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the SSTs. Amazing bullets that expand quickly and hold together well. Cheaper than nosler as well.
Bob

Hi @Bob Nelson 35Whelen

I have some SSTs to try in the 7mm (139gr variety) and if I ever go for a chamois or roe in Scotland (Both smaller animals with longer shots) I'll probably try and use them.

I have shot the SST in my 257 Roberts (117gr).

Worked just fine, but found it easier to get 117gr Gamekings and 120gr Speer SBTs to shoot (in fact how tolerant the 120gr Speers are is quite amazing).

Scrummy

M
Thanks!

I'm going to give it a go with 100 gr Speer HotCor's.

Just investigating a deeper mag box on my FN Commercial 404

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross