17 Days till wheels up for South Africa!!

Matrix

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Limpopo, Canada, Virginia, USA, Ohio, USA, North Carolina, USA, South Carolina, USA
Its getting close now...17 days till we leave for my Cape Buffalo hunt in South Africa! I have been getting everything dialed in and had some unexpected testing occur while tuning.

Once I had everything dialed in I wanted to get my marks, well I got rushed and was shooting at 50 and went back to 20 and didn't reset my sight and shot high....real high. I had a cinder block sitting on top of the Morrell broadhead target because its so light to keep it from moving around.

Not a controlled test at all and I know some will say a cinder block is soft but I think its a great example of momentum and what a heavy arrow is capable of. It broke the cinder block completely in too...... I can promise you your 400-450gr arrows would not fair as well.

It also says a lot to not only the structural integrity of these broadheads but the twisting power of a single bevel head. The head penetrated up to the ferrule and I think this is a big reason that it broke the block. It was able to penetrate deep enough to get in and twist it apart.

I can honestly say I thought the head and arrow was toast but in reality it was not. There was only the slightest bit of wobble after a spin test. Surely it was the head bent...but no it was the insert in the shaft that got tweaked a little. I put the head on another shaft and it spun true!

In my eyes what makes it even more impressive is this isn't from an 80-90lb setup. Its a Halon 32 6 at 71lbs shooting a TAW of 965gr. Its making almost 90KE the MO is .92....The broadhead is a 200gr Massai Single bevel

She packs a punch!!

Massai.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting it did not destroy the blade.

Wow! Best of luck!

Interesting it did not destroy the blade.
I was very surprised. I fully expected it to be ruined. If it can handle that it should have no issues on game

good luck brother! a super fun hunt, and with that setup a buff wont go to far with no air in his lungs.

good luck brother! a super fun hunt, and with that setup a buff wont go to far with no air in his lungs.
Thanks Man...Im thinking this setup will do some serious damage!

WOW! That should do the trick!

Good luck and Play safe !
Glen

Ill add another WOW! Safe travels and good hunting!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

12 days now!! LOL

Good luck and shoot straight

Good luck and shoot straight! Do you mind sharing your arrow build with us? Cheers

Good luck and be sure to post pics

Good luck and shoot straight! Do you mind sharing your arrow build with us? Cheers
Sorry for the late reply Ryan, no I don't mind at all. The TAW is 965gr. The arrow is a Black Eagle Rampage 150 @ 29" the Rampage 150 is 16gr p/Inch.
I have 3 100gr brass inserts up front with one trimmed back for a total of 265gr. The nock is an aluminum nock weighing 16gr and the fletching are SK300.
As stated the broad head is the Massai 200gr single bevel. The FOC is almost 24% with this setup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg