Votes: 24 42.1%

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Try both

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

mauserhunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Going to order some speer hotcors for the 3006 pre-64 m70 and been debating on 165s or 180s, I've always like 180s in 30 cals. I know it's overkill for deer and more recoil but usually damages less meat and uses less powder lol. I may just get a box of each and see that it likes, have to check powder know I've got a pound of imr 4895 but low on imr 4350. Might try some bl-c(2) or see if the leverevolution works.

So what weight would you use for whitetale deer.

Personal preference but I like the grand slam over the hotcore. To each their own, they both kill deer very effectively
IMR-4350 is my favorite in my pre-64 model 70

For 168 gr and below I shoot a 308... I shoot 180's and 200's in my 30-06.. thats where it shines and brings advantage over the 308 (IMO)...

that said.. if deer is your only intended quarry... I'd go with the 165's (assuming they are accurate in your rifle).. thats more than enough for the biggest whitetail or muley you can find.. and you'll get less recoil, less drop at distance, etc..

Attachments

• 30-06_Springfield_180.pdf
    327 KB · Views: 40
+1 for the 180's (though you really can't go wrong with the 165's). IMR 4350 is my go-to powder for anything in the '06 case. I don't know about where you live, but in North Texas, IMR 4350 has been pretty easy to find on the shelves recently. Another good alternative would be Hodgdon H4350, and the Speer load data for this powder looks really good:

I like imr 4350 but so does my 7x57, so sharing will burn up the little i have left.I can probably find some local but money always being tight doesn't help.

I like imr 4350 but so does my 7x57, so sharing will burn up the little i have left.I can probably find some local but money always being tight doesn't help.
Ahh, I see. I'm kind of in the same boat; since I use IMR 4350 in 243 Win, 25-06, 270 Win., 7x57, 30-06, 308 Norma Mag, and 375 H&H. If I actually got out to the range as much as I'd like, I'd probably be burning through it at light speed.

Personally, I'd look into H4350 if I were you. I think it sells for less than IMR 4350 in most places, and according to that particular Speer load data, produces higher velocities with that bullet.

I am normally in the "heavy for caliber" camp but over the years I've had such good luck with 165's in my '06 it's hard for me to want to stray. I've had good luck with H4350 in lots of rifles, including 30-06.

Ahh, I see. I'm kind of in the same boat; since I use IMR 4350 in 243 Win, 25-06, 270 Win., 7x57, 30-06, 308 Norma Mag, and 375 H&H. If I actually got out to the range as much as I'd like, I'd probably be burning through it at light speed.

Personally, I'd look into H4350 if I were you. I think it sells for less than IMR 4350 in most places, and according to that particular Speer load data, produces higher velocities with that bullet.
I definitely wouldn't mind a more temp stable powder for hunting, it can be 70 one day then single digits the next here.

the 30-06 is one of my favorites and l have downed many deer here in Australia with my brno 30-06, l have mostly used 150gr sierra game king projectile's on fallow, red and sambar deer with a very good success rate to date but shooting either neck or brain shots to conserve meat, to date my furthest shot would be around the 350m mark on a large bodied ten point red deer using a tree as a rest, it is up to you what bullets you shoot but l find bullet placement is more important
good luck with it anyway

For a 4350 alternative you might look at shooters world long rifle. I bought 8 pounds of it a couple months ago for a good bit cheaper than IMR or Hogdon 4350. I haven’t had a chance to get to the range yet though so I can t give any first hand reports.

For deer I’d use the 165, but I would try both and see what the gun liked more.

I shoot 165 for everything and then I don’t have to sight-in a different bullet for different animals. I’ve taken 10 bull elk with it so it’s convinced me that it’s a heavy enough bullet. Trajectory is a bit flatter than the 180 and that’s important to me.

If I was shooting 300 yards or further. 165g.
But I would shoot both and go with the most accurate

the 30-06 is one of my favorites and l have downed many deer here in Australia with my brno 30-06, l have mostly used 150gr sierra game king projectile's on fallow, red and sambar deer with a very good success rate to date but shooting either neck or brain shots to conserve meat, to date my furthest shot would be around the 350m mark on a large bodied ten point red deer using a tree as a rest, it is up to you what bullets you shoot but l find bullet placement is more important
good luck with it anyway
I've not had any luck with 150s in 30cals even with the 30-30,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZNWilliem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.