10.75x68 reloading with 404 Jeffery bullets

Check the recommended impact velocity to make sure you’ll meet it in the x68.

I was wondering if being unable to crimp on the cannelure of the 404 bullies would be an issue? I think the 350 loads will be around 2300, the 400s around 2100.

IIRC there is a 0.001" difference in diameter. But I'm not sure it would matter much.

Don't know if you need to crimp at all. I don't crimp when reloading the 404.

6C822052-F233-46FE-B80D-18BC3324BA3A.jpeg

Side note. Is a 400 gr bullet at 2150 good enough for buffalo?
Yes, that is the speed I have my .404 J rounds loaded with 400 gr TSX. Look at the photo on the left and you will see they work just fine.

In a sound rifle, and with the right modern powders, you should be able to safely load it to original .404 levels in the 2200+ fps range with a 400 grainer. The reality is that 2150 fps will give you all you really need for anything, anywhere.

It’s shocking what a hangover this cartridge has from the old days. It seems to be a high performer with modern bullets and powder. In addition, you get and extra one in the magazine. It time for a come back for this old gal.

The "vintage" 10,75x68 have a barrel diameter of .422" while the "Jeffery barrels" have .423" - if your barrel is post WWII then you will probably have a .423" dia. and can use without any issues the Jeffery bullets.
Otherwise you will have higher pressures.

Using 400 grains bullets in the 10,75x68 is possible, but as the bullets are much longer your powder space is reduced. Mainstream opinion is to use 347/350 grains as max. bullet weight. Max. speed according to allowed pressure according to CIP will be approx. 680 m/s.

Reactions: HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!