Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Gentlemen,

I have am waiting on a Frankonia 8x68 that comes with 1” EAW rings, and am starting to look for scopes to mount. New rings are over half the price I paid for the rifle, so I won’t be upgrading to 30mm.

Unfortunately I live in an area where the only real retailer is a poorly stocked Cabelas, so I can’t go out and test a wide variety of manufacturers, so it will be an online purchase. This is where your recommendations come in. And yes, I realize I’m opening a can of worms here!

-Am I giving up too much light with a 24mm straight tube?

-Am I going to miss the variable powers if I went with a fixed 6x?

-I’d like to keep the scope at 42mm or less, and no higher of a magnification than 10x. I do t do any shooting over 300m, and to be honest, that’s a stretch for my abilities.

Id like to keep the price around the $1000US mark, and here are some options I have been kicking around:

-S&B Klassic 6x
-Leica Amplus 1-6
-Meopta 6x42
-Swaro Z3 3x10x42

I’d like to know your guys’ thoughts and opinions on a good set up for this rifle, and if someone has a scope they are looking to unload, I’m to used ones as well!

I had the same dilemma... I dislike big, fat, heavy scopes. For my 7mm RM I chose a Schmidt & Bender Summit 2-10X. A very bright and durable scope with a 1" tube - one of the few they make.

Love my Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but it's not a good choice if you want to dial distances or easily switch between loads. It's just not repeatable with any degree of certainty. (I like Night Force where dialable turrets are important.)

Set and forget the Z3 and be ready to tweak your expected Zero if you switch loads.

BTW, the BRH reticle is excellent for old eyes and has very usable half mil hash marks. The Z3's optical clarity is excellent.

I had the same dilemma... I dislike big, fat, heavy scopes. For my 7mm RM I chose a Schmidt & Bender Summit 2-10X. A very bright and durable scope with a 1" tube - one of the few they make.
Unfortunately one of the few they made. A great scope for those with expensive 1” rings. Sadly it is now discontinued.

The Leica Amplus 1-6 has a 30mm tube so it would require a new set of rings. I can't remember seeing an S&B Classic with a one inch tube? Correct me if I am wrong.

That would be the perfect scope, but a little above my target price range!

Ditto on 30mm tubes. Hate them. Of the ones you listed I'd go with the Meopta.

I’m also looking at a R2 1.7x10 for my 300H&H

Love my Swaro Z3 3-10x42, but it's not a good choice if you want to dial distances or easily switch between loads. It's just not repeatable with any degree of certainty. (I like Night Force where dialable turrets are important.)

Set and forget the Z3 and be ready to tweak your expected Zero if you switch loads.

BTW, the BRH reticle is excellent for old eyes and has very usable half mil hash marks. The Z3's optical clarity is excellent.

I would just dial it in and leave it

The Leica Amplus 1-6 has a 30mm tube so it would require a new set of rings. I can't remember seeing an S&B Classic with a one inch tube? Correct me if I am wrong.
This is what happened when you do searches 100 different ways, you get mixed up with what’s what! Thanks for the correction

There is a German website called eGun.de. It works pretty much like eBay.
The problem is you need to register. It took a native German speaker to help me with that.
but I just had look and there’s a number of EAW 30mm rings up for auction. I presume these are the swing mounts you have on the rifle.
egun.de- go to jagdzubehor, then zieloptiken and finally to montage. We might be able to work something out between us.

I’m also looking at a R2 1.7x10 for my 300H&H
All eyes differ. But to my old eyes, this scope is optically very close / right with my Leica’s, Swarovski’s, Zeiss Victory’s, Kahles, and Schmidt & Benders. It also gives the appearance of a very well made scope.
I cannot speak to the reliability but the Leupold HD-5 2-10x42mm may be another option. I have a 1-5x24mm, that optically seems pretty dang good.

Questions: what distances do you plan shooting on? What size game/targets? What light conditions?

An ordinary Leupold 3-9x or 2-7x could take you far - depending on the answers to the above questions.

Just sayin..

While I have mostly German/Austrian scopes, I still keep that non-illuminated Leupold vx-2 3-9×50 because I *know* it works. Sure, it is isn't perfect for some situations, but is certainly good enough for 90+ % of the shots I would consider taking.

/cmk

Gentlemen,

I have am waiting on a Frankonia 8x68 that comes with 1” EAW rings, and am starting to look for scopes to mount. New rings are over half the price I paid for the rifle, so I won’t be upgrading to 30mm.

Unfortunately I live in an area where the only real retailer is a poorly stocked Cabelas, so I can’t go out and test a wide variety of manufacturers, so it will be an online purchase. This is where your recommendations come in. And yes, I realize I’m opening a can of worms here!

-Am I giving up too much light with a 24mm straight tube?

-Am I going to miss the variable powers if I went with a fixed 6x?

-I’d like to keep the scope at 42mm or less, and no higher of a magnification than 10x. I do t do any shooting over 300m, and to be honest, that’s a stretch for my abilities.

Id like to keep the price around the $1000US mark, and here are some options I have been kicking around:

-S&B Klassic 6x
-Leica Amplus 1-6
-Meopta 6x42
-Swaro Z3 3x10x42

I’d like to know your guys’ thoughts and opinions on a good set up for this rifle, and if someone has a scope they are looking to unload, I’m to used ones as well!
I am a fan of 30mm tubes. It took my a little to adjust to them visually. Now they look “normal” to me.
I am going to try a Tract Optics Toric 1” tube, 2-10x42mm, non-illuminated, T-Plex reticle.
Some folks are favorably impressed with these scopes, compared to competition costing several hundred more dollars.
I looked through one of their scopes a few years ago and thought it had a good optical view and seemed well made. My issue was I preferred a 30mm tube.
Anyways, I have decided to give them a try. I have plans to install on a bolt action 223. Hopefully it will arrive within the next few days. If pleasing to the eye, these are definitely at a good price point.

“All eyes differ. But to my old eyes, this scope is optically very close / right with my Leica’s, Swarovski’s, Zeiss Victory’s, Kahles, and Schmidt & Benders. It also gives the appearance of a very well made scope.”

I forgot about kahles - I have a couple of those and they are also stellar options in the mentioned price range

There is a German website called eGun.de. It works pretty much like eBay.
The problem is you need to register. It took a native German speaker to help me with that.
but I just had look and there’s a number of EAW 30mm rings up for auction. I presume these are the swing mounts you have on the rifle.
egun.de- go to jagdzubehor, then zieloptiken and finally to montage. We might be able to work something out between us.

Grandpa was from Germany, but the language didn’t get handed down!

I’m not sure if you can directly swap ring sizes on EAW bases. I’m going to reach out to a reputable gunsmith in the area to see what he has to say.

Reactions: WAB
Questions: what distances do you plan shooting on? What size game/targets? What light conditions?

An ordinary Leupold 3-9x or 2-7x could take you far - depending on the answers to the above questions.

Just sayin..

While I have mostly German/Austrian scopes, I still keep that non-illuminated Leupold vx-2 3-9×50 because I *know* it works. Sure, it is isn't perfect for some situations, but is certainly good enough for 90+ % of the shots I would consider taking.

/cmk
It would be deer/elk/possibly moose, and most shots seem to be first/last night

It would be deer/elk/possibly moose, and most shots seem to be first/last night
If you are shooting less than 300 yards and in low light conditions I would choose a swaro Z3 3-10. If you are thinking of shooting 300+ you may want to look at the BRH reticle. I have tried the ballistic turrets and don’t care for them - some guys love them and that’s great, they don’t work well for me. I found most of my time worried about - did I return to zero, having to quickly turn the know etc… I much prefer have a ballistic plex reticle and know where my rounds hit with them. For the most part I find the load that shoots best for the rifle and leave it - no need to switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg