How should I choose my Safari Hunting Outfitter? First time Hunting in South(ern) Africa

Luckyphoenix4

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading through the forum posts and they were very helpful, yet, what are the most important criteria for choosing the right safari hunting outfitter?

Looking to hunt plains game, a small starter package. Doesn't need to be South Africa, any other country in Southern Africa would do as well.

How would you make your choice?

Thanks
Tom

Hi,

I was reading through the forum posts and they were very helpful, yet, what are the most important criteria for choosing the right safari hunting outfitter?

Looking to hunt plains game, a small starter package. Doesn't need to be South Africa, any other country in Southern Africa would do as well.

Thanks
Tom
Welcome to the forum, Tom. Below is a link of members that have written short reviews on sponsors of the website. There is also a Hunting Report section right here on the forum where you will find many first hand reports written.

All the best with your research and please let us know if we can assist with anything. You have certainly come to the right place.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

You haven't provided sufficient information.
First you need to define what animals you would like to hunt?
Once you establish this, you can focus on finding the country and the outfitter.

Provided that you dont look for bongo or mountain nyala on a first hunt, I would say, for first (few) PG hunts, focus your search on:
South Africa (plenty outfitters on the forum, mainly fenced areas)
Namibia (plenty of outfitters on the forum, fenced, low fenced, and free range hunting- many non fenced options)

And a bit more expensive:
Zambia, for example, Takeri reserve
And maybe Botswana, for example, NKWE safaris.

Other countries are also very attractive, but they are destinations either for dangerous game, or very specific plains game species, and more expensive.

You have to decide whether hunting in the fence is acceptable for you.
If not acceptable, then variety of species will be a bit reduced, or hunt will be longer, or more expensive.

Finding outfitter?
You have abundance of information on the forum how to look for the outfitter and how to check for the references.

But to cut the story short, choosing one of the sponsors of this forum, will make an easier search. they have all been very well vetted, and you can find plenty of positive hunting reports from the clients hunting with them.

Read lots of actual hunting reports. If you read a report that makes you interested, then use the search function and read several reports, from multiple clients, on the same outfitter. You can send a PM to individual members and gather more details.

Select a AH sponsor with a few or a lot of good reports and you usually can't go wrong.

A few key factors are:
Your hunting budget (total cost including flights) is obviously a key factor.
Large hunting properties.
Variety of animals
Well earned and established track record of happy clients.

All good advice above. Start there.

There are a lot of people on here that hunt Africa often. It’s a great resource.

If you have specific questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to them. I’ve found the community to be very helpful. The more specific and focused you are, the easier it will be to get good information.

Enjoy the planning process. It’s a lot of fun, and adds quite a bit to your first Africa hunting experience. And then relax, expect stuff to sometimes go less than as perfectly planned (it’s Africa) and you will have a great time.

Hi,

Thanks
Tom

In South Africa, you have 4000 choices. In Namibia you have 500, so it is daunting.
1. Rely on word of mouth references.
2. If the reference is more than 3 years old, discard it.
3. Do you research on sites like this.
4. Go to SCI or DSC and talk to the them.
5. DO NOT choose based on price. Cheap does not equal a good hunt.
6. There are many good ones in RSA and Nambia that are great for a first timer.
7. DO NOT value a reference from a hunter that has been on ONE safari. They have nothing to compare to.
8. Listen to your outfitters rec for what animals to hunt. They are all fun so don't fret over a particular species.
9. When you get back you will be planning a buffalo hunt.

Good evening Mr. Tom, welcome to AH forum.
We will be able to help you with your request sir, I will be sending you a PM.

Kind regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS

Hello Tom,

We have some excellent packages available on our large hunting areas!

If your interested to learn more of what we have to offer please feel free to DM me.

We do all inclusive and exclusive packages.

Shoot us any questions you might have at anytime.

All my best,

Jacques Spamer
js@jkosafaris.com

Welcome Tom,

Already some good advise posted on here, do your research, narrow it down based on reviews and recommendations from fellow hunters. Start talking ti different outfitters and see which one gives you "that" feeling. You know that internal "this is the one" feeling your gut tells you.

All the best and if there is anything you feel you need clarity on please feel free to send me a DM and i will gladly assist

My personal best

:S Welcome: and good luck !

Choose one here.....
Exactly! One can get honest feedback on AfricaHunting.com !
Read the hunt reports and reach out the the poster via PM.
Follow up with a phone call or two...

Hi @Luckyphoenix4 if zambia is of interest please message..cheers mike
I didn't hunt with Mike the Spike but spend time with him in Zambia. A heck of a great guy!

Here's my double-hunt report starting with a couple CBL lionesses and followed by plains game and a couple cull buffalos at @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Lionesses:
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ses-hunt-with-tally-ho-hunting-safaris.71691/

Cull Hunt @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Good day Sir,

Welcome to AH, I am sure you will find the right fit here!

We look forward to sharing our passion and continent with you.

Have a wonderful time planning the hunt - It's part of the fun!

Valie Enslin
That's Africa Safaris

I have personnaly recommended a couple of safari outfits on here from members who have PMed me since my first safais.

I started my first safari search by watching hosts of current hunting shows. Then searching the internet and looking at reviews.

As a first timer I also looked for a one stop shop. An outfitter that could provide good hunts, a trophy fee list to select an affordable package deal on the animals I choose to hunt, good food and accommodations. I also wanted an outfitter that provided quality taxidermy. As a bonus I found one that offers a 100% no hassle refund in case an unforseen problem arose during the time prior to my departure. Which actually happened, I was determined, the hunt was paid for and I had to reschedule my first hunt 3 times before my actual departure.

Then I found this forum which provided me a lot more information and recommended to ask questions I never thought about. The members also provided a lot of answers and guided me to different sections on the forum to help me plan my hunt.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your planning process and happy hunting in Africa.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abferrell60

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.