ZIMBABWE: Philip Glass On Safari With Martin Pieters

Thanks for the hunt report! Beautiful pictures, stunning animals! The lion looks excellent!

Man what an awesome lion! That is the type of lion dreams are made of! Congrats!!!

Amazing Lion! A 21 day hunt in such a great location, are what hunting dreams are made of!

Great hunt report. The beginning of it sounds a lot like Hemingway's description of his buffalo hunt in the tall grass in "Green hills of Africa."

Great lion and HOLY Croc! Great looking trophies.

Philip I am very happy that you had such a good hunt! Sorry about spots giving you the slip but you sure made up for it with the lion! The hippos looked impressive as well. Can you tell us how long the croc was?
The croc was 13' 6". Big but not huge by any means.
Regards,
Philip

Great lion congrats. What now with the cat since it cannot be imported?
It can be imported. The trick is getting a permit which I have applied for. Martin was great helping get all the info for USFWS requirements. Time will tell but we have a good chance.
Philip

Philip,

Congratulations on an excellent safari. Martin sent this picture while you were still on safari. That is truly a remarkable lion. Well done to both you and Martin.

View attachment 152196
Thanks. Martin is now a dear friend to me and we did have a good time together.

Did you see many buffalo while you were there hunting?
Gerry
We did see quite a few and many fresh tracks. Most every other day we could have easily taken the tracks and gone after a big bull(by the tracks we saw.) I was just not after buffalo particularly. If we had gotten on a big one early in the safari I would have taken him because of the need for so much bait.
Philip

Great lion, it looks like you had a blast. I hunted the Omay in 2008 with Martin's outfit when Dalton was an apprentice. We saw 100's of Buff (my avatar is the bull I took there). Lot's of elephant also and lions were hunting the same herds of buffalo that we were. I missed a couple of bushbucks in the thick brush and the river camp was lousy with Hippo and Crocs.

Great lion, it looks like you had a blast. I hunted the Omay in 2008 with Martin's outfit when Dalton was an apprentice. We saw 100's of Buff (my avatar is the bull I took there). Lot's of elephant also and lions were hunting the same herds of buffalo that we were. I missed a couple of bushbucks in the thick brush and the river camp was lousy with Hippo and Crocs.
Yea the hippos kept me up at night! Between hippos, frogs, birds, hyenas, and the occasional leopard it was hard to sleep at night.
Attached pic is the view from my room (no door just wide open).
Philip

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats again Philip, thanks for sharing the little details like the hippos, hyenas, birds, etc. calling all night! Certainly a hunt I hope to take someday!

It can be imported. The trick is getting a permit which I have applied for. Martin was great helping get all the info for USFWS requirements. Time will tell but we have a good chance.
Philip

I am looking forward to the results of this decision by USFWS. I hope that management history provided will be sufficient support.
Best of luck.

Philip
That's great! keep us posted

Yea the hippos kept me up at night! Between hippos, frogs, birds, hyenas, and the occasional leopard it was hard to sleep at night.
Attached pic is the view from my room (no door just wide open).
Philip

View attachment 152495

Philip,

The water is low!!!!!!

This was looking back at that same chalet a couple of years ago from a boat. The water was very close to the chalet as compared to now.

Attachments

• Omay Ume_zpsenoiiicr.jpg
    Omay Ume_zpsenoiiicr.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 273
Philip,

The water is low!!!!!!

This was looking back at that same chalet a couple of years ago from a boat. The water was very close to the chalet as compared to now.

Yes it was low for sure. Would love to see it full.

Very nice!!! Very fortunate opportunity. Enjoy every minute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg