Zimbabwe options

David Langerman and John Sharp in the Bubye. Be hard pressed to top either one of them.

Going this year for multiple buffalo and taking the whole family.

Save was good, Nyakasanga when it was an auction area was great. Cant go wrong with CMS

@Muskox +1 on @John Sharp and @DaveL .

Flying into Bulawayo is easy, as it isn't a huge airport. Very nice and efficient airport.

Read the report @Bullthrower338 and @tarbe did on their hunt with John and Dave in the 800,000+ acre BVC.

This is a link to my report from my hunt with @John Sharp.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/zimbabwe-john-sharp-safaris.22880/

Lots of good advice above.

My recommendation is to talk ftf at a show with the folks who hunt the areas you are most interested in.

All the outfits and areas mentioned above can provide an excellent experience. The cherry on top is being able to hunt with someone you feel a kinship with.

This is not always possible to find. But if you can add that dimension to your hunt, it will be something truly special.

Best of luck in your "hunt for a hunt". The chase is a big part of the experience and the fun!

Tim

Several of us on here are booked with Dalton for buffalo for next year. My interactions with him have been very positive, I am very much looking forward to the hunt.
Dalton is a solid PH. I have hunted with him. Dont plan on out walking him, dude can get it done.

@Muskox +1 on @John Sharp and @DaveL .

Flying into Bulawayo is easy, as it isn't a huge airport. Very nice and efficient airport.

Read the report @Bullthrower338 and @tarbe did on their hunt with John and Dave in the 800,000+ acre BVC.

This is a link to my report from my hunt with @John Sharp.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/zimbabwe-john-sharp-safaris.22880/
Never finer gentleman could one share a fire with, just wish you could have joined us Dave! Still cherish every moment of that trip daily. Life long friendship and undying memories are a huge part of the deal, money is just money, ask our elected officials, it don’t mean a damn thing at the end of the day!

I understand there are ranches in Zimbabwe, but I don't know much about it. I have multiple safari planning guides but they are over 10 years old and I am not sure places listed in there are still accurate.

Looking for a plains game/buffalo or hippo hunt in a free range or very large ranch. I want something different than South Africa.
bunch of great places. I would do Save with Desfountain Safaris.

Why most of the offers and packages in Zim are focused on DG?
There is much less offers specializing on PG.
In fact, in great majority of offers, PG looks more like possible opportunity, rather then specialized PG safari.
I am asking based on my impression, not necessarily it is true.
Am I wrong in this estimate? If I am not wrong, then why is that?

Because Zimbabwe can not compete in variety, quality and cost with the game farms in RSA where the stock and breeding are controlled. Just for the cost of the daily rates of a 7day PG hunt in Zimbabwe one can have a 7 day PG hunt in RSA including trophy fees etc..

On my upcoming hunt any plains game I take will be for bait. I will take a trophy Kudu if we see one. But the focus of the 21 days hunt is leopard, buffalo and elephant.

Never finer gentleman could one share a fire with, just wish you could have joined us Dave! Still cherish every moment of that trip daily. Life long friendship and undying memories are a huge part of the deal, money is just money, ask our elected officials, it don’t mean a damn thing at the end of the day!
Work and life have been grinding me to a pulp lately.

I woke up at 0230 this morning and knew I had to get out of bed....

Went upstairs and took a position on a couch. In the dim light from the front porch light I could clearly see the outline of my Cape Buffalo's horns, showing well against the light colored wall.

I closed my eyes and thought about the 12 days in the BVC with you, John and Dave. I found sleep again.

Better than any drug.....

Went upstairs and took a position on a couch. In the dim light from the front porch light I could clearly see the outline of my Cape Buffalo's horns, showing well against the light colored wall.

I closed my eyes and thought about the 12 days in the BVC with you, John and Dave. I found sleep again.

I know exactly what you mean! Africa is a drug that we can never get enough of!

Classic case of hornamus Syncerus Caffer. There's only one cure......... go get another one!

Either that or you can try that Charlie Sheen Tiger's blood deal, but that didn't work out too well for him. :E Happy:

Does someone have a link with a map of safari areas in Zimbabwe?

Or recommend a book that has it?

Does someone have a link with a map of safari areas in Zimbabwe?
Each outfitter would have their own areas shown. The CMS web link I had posted and that was subsequently removed was a link to their areas. If you google and find their web site you can look at it.

There is a map of Zim with all areas on it. I’m sure if you google it you will find it.

Nyaminyami is the Omay right next to Matusadona National park.
@TOBY458 , @CAustin , @YancyW

1643561896792.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Several of us on here are booked with Dalton for buffalo for next year. My interactions with him have been very positive, I am very much looking forward to the hunt.
+1. Talked to York at DSC and met Phillip Glass who goes there often. Came away incredibly impressed with both men!

+1. Talked to York at DSC and met Phillip Glass who goes there often. Came away incredibly impressed with both men!
Thank you so much. It was a good time!

Thank you so much. It was a good time!

The Omay is a great area to hunt. Lots of DG in the area. PG is there, but you'll have to work for it, as they have multiple lion prides and lots of leopards in the area.

Dalton and York are top notch hunters that run a tight ship. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a link to my report:

MATETSI SAFARI AREA is one of the few areas left in Africa with Endemic Species and Unit One is especially famous for it's Lion and Buffalo. We are particularly privileged to have the exclusive rights to offer hunts out of Unit One operating out of Mabalengwe Camp which offers the best in Classic African outfitting. Stunning area and only an hour from Victoria Falls which is always worth the visit!

The Omay is a great area to hunt. Lots of DG in the area. PG is there, but you'll have to work for it, as they have multiple lion prides and lots of leopards in the area.

Dalton and York are top notch hunters that run a tight ship. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a link to my report:
Yes it was an awesome report and some of you guys are making me jealous! Now I really can’t wait to get back to the Omay. The success stories of so many show me what I already knew and that is that Dalton and York are very diligent and thus successful hunters. I like their personalities as well so that helps.
I’ll be there each of he next two Augusts and maybe more after that.
Philip

Mark, Phillip has it right. And you'll have difficulties to find a better place for DG than Zimbabwe at still reasonable prices.
Unfenced true wilderness with a special breed of Ph's- I consider them the best there are. Have hunted Zim about 15 times; last time 2008. No put and take PG or Lion; but of course not so many PG as in SA or Namibia- these Lion and Leopard, as well as Hyena, like their Dinner of Kudu, Impala& Zebra. And, of course, poaching is a big issue. CMS for example have the DAPU-Dande Anti Poaching Unit-; they do a great job.
So if you look for something different than SA - which I find a very good decision for hunters who want the real stuff instead of armed shopping - Zim is your place!

Mark, Phillip has it right. And you'll have difficulties to find a better place for DG than Zimbabwe at still reasonable prices.
Unfenced true wilderness with a special breed of Ph's- I consider them the best there are. Have hunted Zim about 15 times; last time 2008. No put and take PG or Lion; but of course not so many PG as in SA or Namibia- these Lion and Leopard, as well as Hyena, like their Dinner of Kudu, Impala& Zebra. And, of course, poaching is a big issue. CMS for example have the DAPU-Dande Anti Poaching Unit-; they do a great job.
So if you look for something different than SA - which I find a very good decision for hunters who want the real stuff instead of armed shopping - Zim is your place!

Absolutely. Zimbabwe is THE destination for wild, free range hunts in Africa. I'm sure there are more elite places to go like Tanzania or Uganda, but Zimbabwe is closer to Namibia/RSA prices and closer to Tanzania-style experiences.

A simple rule of thumb is that almost all areas of Zimbabwe *can* be excellent for hunting game with the exception of the Eastern Highlands. (not a common place for safaris)

The biggest issue with Zimbabwe is the poverty and geo-politics. Some wonderful areas of Zim have become trash by rape-pillage of resources by bushmeat poachers or multinational criminal syndicates of dangerous game poaching. Not just elephant, but also lion/leopard/other for the eastern medicine trade.

While there are very few ranches remaining in Zim that function as cattle fence or high fence setups, there still are a few. Most were lost when the whites had their farms seized in 2001 at which point every living thing was neglected or consumed rapidly inside of fenced areas.

I have hunted in areas that had game ranches of say 3000 acres where some plains game can be harvested, but they really serve for game viewing decoration around the main camp where much of the hunting, and all of the dangerous game hunting, takes place each day outside of the compound.

I've lost exact count, but I'm getting pretty close to ten safaris in Zimbabwe. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly on those journeys. Everything from glorious, unmolested lands with elephants walking around my tent stakes each evening all the way to national park safari areas that were completely poached out, snares everywhere, park rangers firing warning shots over the heads of poachers and their hounds.

Look for strong RECENT references of many factors when hunting in Zim. The PH. The Operator. AND the Concession. I've had good PHs take me to bad places. I've had mediocre PHs take me to amazing areas. Things change quickly in Zimbabwe's ecosystem and not all of it is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois