ZIMBABWE: Mixed Bag In Matetsi With The Kids - A Short Trip Report

Agrarler

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Like I promised in the other report I`m going to write a short report of the trip we just finished yesterday.

First of all: it was a great and unforgettable trip- especially for the boys- who were in Africa for the first time. Please excuse that I don`t use their real names, I`ll name them No 1 (12 years old) and No 2 (9 years). Both join most of my hunts in Germany and practiced a lot in advance of the trip.

After 24 hours of travelling we arrived at 11 a.m. in Victoria Falls where we were picked up by the PH and the two trackers I already knew from last years safari. Good to see them all again, same with the camp staff who was almost the same than the year before.

After a short lunch we sighted in the rental guns what was more difficult than I expected. We are used to shoot Blaser guns with their well known soft triggers and the rental guns we were given were quite old and especially the triggers where going extremely tough. That caused some problems during the next days and took a wile to adapt.

We shot with a .22, a .308 and a .375 H&H. We kept the kids busy with shooting birds (doves, bush chicken, frankoline and sand grouse) what was really great fun!

B35E2C8D-1FA8-4D0D-BF3F-AC6E09D912C7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Luck doesn`t come to the camp so we hunted hard all day. We spotted and stalked until the sun was down and used the way back to the camp for night hunting. That was more than successful!

First evening’s result:

I was lucky to get a good warthog the following day.

The next day No 1 realized his dream and took a really nice Impala. Since months he was talking about nothing else. You cannot imagine how proud and happy he was!

Just to sum it up:
No 1 shot a second impala, a very nice waterbuck, a spotted hyena and baboon. I was able to get a porcupine, a big civit, a great Kudu, a very old duiker and two nice impalas. No 2 shot a wildcat as well and plenty of brids…

All in all it was an incredible adventure. We had many sights of elephants (one herd of 115!), buffalo and plenty other game. Hunting in this free-range area was really challenging but successful. The game was very alerted because they were chased by lion almost every night (we heard them all night roaring) …

We´ll be come back defenetly!

Let`s see what happens next march whenn we will be hunting with spear safari ;)

Congratulations! Quite the mixed bag. :A Thumbs Up:

I wondered how it would be taking kids to Zim (I’m looking at taking the family next time I go to Africa)

Looks like a great trip! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

I always enjoy seeing a family hunting together. Those boys will never forget their first Africa adventure! Congratulations on a fine hunt!

Fun trip and exposing the kids to another country and hunting. It doesn't get any better than that.

Looks like a great trip! Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sander.kvern

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH