Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Heard a rumor that the Zimbabwe gov't will no longer allow export of unfinished trophies...taxidermy must occur in-country?

Sounds like the Zimbabwe taxidermy lobby was working overtime!

Anyone else hear this? Looking for confirmation.

Tim

If this is so it will be another nail in their hunting industries coffin !!

It would be another nail in Zim's coffin, not sure about the industry as this would be self inflicted and technically doesn't impact trophy export.

@Martin Pieters have you heard anything?

As for me I would go else where to hunt if they forced me to have the work done in Zim, much of their dip & pack takes way too long and with poor results, let alone the taxi work.

^^^

Agree Jeff - if you just meant the Zim industry earlier I misunderstood what you were saying.

Before the dogs start chasing their tails. Let's see what someone in the know has to say. :)

As they say in Zimbabwe… "If you have not heard a rumor by 9:00 am, start one." :)

I have done a Yahoo and Google search and have not found anything concerning mandating that taxidermy be completed in Zimbabwe.

You should note that their are a few taxidermy business that the owners were trained in the USA and do some nice work.

As with all things go your research before you decide who to use.

As far as taxidermy is concerned i have had some completed work done in Zimbabwe and i am happy with the results.

I was reading some Zimbabwe news paper articles about farmers being removed from their property and that farmers were now being considered for 99 year leases. So what to believe. Until we have someone from Zimbabwe that we know confirms your rummer i would take it for a gran of salt, that about what it worth.

As soon as I heard this rumor (from someone on the ground somewhere in Southern Africa) I emailed a Zim PH to ask if he had heard anything.

He has been in the States since DSC, so had not...but said he would message his personal taxidermist in Zim to see if he had heard anything.

Hopefully just a rumor and nothing more...but as one who is seriously considering a hunt in Zim, a potentially important development!

Tim, Thanks for bringing this up, hopefully someone from Zimbabwe will be able to let us know...

Hopefully just a rumor and nothing more...but as one who is seriously considering a hunt in Zim, a potentially important development!

I'd be very concerned myself if I were about to head into Zim for a hunt!!

If true....It would seem as though Zimbabwe is bent on destroying the Safari industry.

Maybe some Anti's made a big donation to Mugabe's re-election campaign.

Another load of bull, trophies can be shipped raw ( dip/ pack ) or mounted, your choice.

I have a Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck and Impala that have been at Collette's in Bulawayo since late May 2015. I am having them do the tanning and then shipping to my taxidermist in the US for mounting. Received an email from them a few days ago that they might ship this week on possibly next week. Stay tune for details.

I leave for Zim in 3 x weeks!!! Will certainly find out ASAP!!

I have a Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck and Impala that have been at Collette's in Bulawayo since late May 2015. I am having them do the tanning and then shipping to my taxidermist in the US for mounting. Received an email from them a few days ago that they might ship this week on possibly next week. Stay tune for details.
Collets did an excellent job on our taxidermy in 2010. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg